It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Householders to be charged for each flush of toilet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Householders to be charged for each flush of toilet

www.news.com.au

HOUSEHOLDERS would be charged for each flush under a radical new toilet tax designed to help beat the drought.

The scheme would replace the current system, which sees sewage charges based on a home's value - not its waste water output.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

"Some people may go as far as not flushing their toilet as often because the less sewage you produce, the less sewage rate you pay.''

Ummmm....... Wouldn't flushing less be very unhygienic?

I was honestly thinking of moving to Australia, but now i'm not sure anymore.

Paying for flushing?
What about public bathrooms in restaurants, malls, cinemas etc... how would that work?

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Time to start pissing and crapping in the streets.

Two.

Three.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
It's the end of the toilet as we know it.

And the return of the outhouse.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
they do have chemical toilets. You could always get one of them? They turn everything to a powder. Like they use in campers. So that may be a good back up just in case. But if you ask me that is just stupid. Paying per flush. I complain when the kids dont flush after using it. I cant imagine not flushing for maybe a week.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
When I lived in Seattle my largest consistent utility bill (which I felt should be the cheapest) was my Water/Sewer/Garbage bill with the biggest portion being the waste water or sewage charge.

They base the sewage charge on how much water you use. I don't know the formula but I think it was 2-3 x times the water bill. Thus every time I flushed the toilet I was charged, however I think it was my showers & laundry that cost me the most and it's easy to take quick showers and do less loads of laundry without effecting your lifestyle much.

I tried the not flushing the toilet at night for urine only for a few weeks & then decided I prefer to pay for the water and not have a bathroom that smelled like piss.

They do have toilets that have multiple levels of flush now and I suppose one could invest in a water saving urinal if it comes to that.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Doesn't anyone pay a water bill? I get billed for the volume I use each month as well as sewage and garbage pick-up, all on the same bill

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

i have for a long time thought that using drinking grade water to flush toilets was extremely wasteful & indulgent.

waste water supply should be in a closed cycle system... completely seperate from potable drinking water.
the waste system could use the quality of water found in the Hudson river
to replenish the lost volume in the recycling process.

chlorinated & floride treated water used to flush rubber-nosed trout into a acres large stabelization pond, is such a 'waste'

but, i would point out that healthy people would pay more on the per-flush system... why you ask... because healthy persons void larger firmer BMs
than sickly people do.
and would therefore have a solid case of discrimination, as a 2or3 flush encounter with the toilet is usually needed, & therefore more costly

[edit on 17-2-2009 by St Udio]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I wonder do they pay for metered water usage? I'm guessing not since it would've been mentioned. We do here, as well as pay for sewage costs on the property tax, which I thought was bad enough. Money wise I'd probably rather pay per flush than have water metered. But then paying per flush they know exactly how many times you've flushed your toilet, isn't that sorta creepy?

I can see a few years down the road into this, going by how our city operates. If you end up with a high number of flushes, you'll be getting letters and maybe even people coming in to advise you not to flush when you pee. Too damn weird and invasive.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I don't have a water bill, but I do have a well. There are advantages and disadvantages of having a well. I have to pay for the salt for the water softener. I can't go out and fill a pool up for fear my well might run dry.

But, I don't have to worry about stuff/chemicals in my water. I get some of the coldest water around. No water bill.

I can't believe anyone would have to pay to flush the toilet! That's just crazy!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
here in poconos pa we get charged a % of sewage per water usage. so in effect if i fill a 500,000 gallon swimming pool i am also charged a % for sewage. but it never went towards sewage- so why am i charged with that?
i water my roses and am still charged for sewage?
i only flush my toilets every 2 days or so use a toilet cake won't smell that badly(well if i do a #2 then always flush after) i drink to much coffee and beer to warrant flushing constantly
saves alot of water
just another way for them to keep taking money from you

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Well if you look at 'drinking quality' water in the US, it's quite debatable whether it actually is drinking quality.

But I agree, ideally there should be 1) drinking/cooking water, 2) washing water, 3) flushing water, 4) fertilizing/irrigation water.

Interestingly, the argument could be made that the sewage companies should actually pay us, for taking their plain-old water and returning it to them with valuable fertilizer and minerals added.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Hey! Just do what the old saying is... "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down." There are also eco-friendly ways of hooking your bathroom faucet water drain off to a filter then holding tank. Then the next time you flush your toilet it will drain that water first before drawing from the new water in the pipes. Do they take this into account?

A link regarding this can be found here.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I'm going to be real honest and I'm not saying this for laughs or jokes.

"If its yellow let it mellow, it its brown flush it down."

When I'm not having company I usually adhere to that to keep some extra dollars off the water bill. (now im not saying it doesnt get flushed all day lol)

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
If it's yellow, let it mellow...

If it's brown, let it drown...

Saves water....also a brick in the cistern. Most toilets dont need the full amount of water to displace even the most challenging flotsam!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by n1zzzn

Hah!

Beat ya by a few seconds!

cool saying though

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Here's an idea... Have to take a leak? Go outside. No pissy smelling bathroom, no extra water charges, and, best of all, it can be considered as a fight against drought. Humans peeing in bowls to have it sent off to be sterilized is one of the most ridiculous ideas humans have ever had.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by TravelerintheDark]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
If its yellow let it mellow. If its brown flush it down.

I wonder how many outhouses are gonna crop up?

really, we are all spoiled. A little unflushed toilet isn't going to hurt anybody.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Whoops, someone beat me to the lymrick.
cool beans

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
A brick in your toilet's water tank helps too, that's a brick's worth of water you save every time you flush. I put one in mine last year, now it uses less water and still gets the job done.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join