It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jacksons star in Nigeria resort row over slave memorial

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Jacksons star in Nigeria resort row over slave memorial

One of pop superstar Michael Jackson's brothers, Marlon, is involved in a controversial plan to develop a $3.4bn (£2.4bn) slavery memorial and luxury resort in Badagry, Nigeria.

The historic slave port is to be transformed through the bizarre combination of a slave history theme park and a museum dedicated to double Grammy-winning pop-soul group the Jackson Five.

OK I think this is a great gesture gone about in the seriously wrong way. A theme park to remember the atrocities?

So I have just had a ride on a no doubt controversially named attraction and then:

Visitors will be able to pay their respects at the site of a mass grave for those who died before boarding ships across the Atlantic Ocean.

O ... K

The museum is said to boast Jackson Five memorabilia, is this not just a publicity stunt?

"The Jackson Family had been looking for a place to site their memorabilia collection for some time," says Gary Loster, a former mayor of Saginaw, Michigan, and chief executive of The Motherland Group.

I personally do not think this is a good way to honour those involved in the history of this.

Source - BBC

What are you thoughts?

join