It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHL cutting back altogether on US domestic shipping???!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I called my independent US POBox service provider the other day. I asked some questions about UPS vs. DHL, and they unloaded a monster piece of information on me. Apparently, DHL is cutting back on all domestic US shipping. The economy is SO BAD and business has slowed SO MUCH that DHL has figured it is better to step out of the ring with UPS altogether and not bother to compete over the little business available. DHL is still providing international shipping options in other countries.

Has anyone else run across news like this? Are there any DHL employees here that can confirm what is happening?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I have heard about this a few months ago. I was not a DHL employee but read in our paper that they were shutting down the domestic shipping and focusing on International. Here is the link to their press release with more information for you.

DHL

A_L

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Not cutting back....cutting OUT. DHL is done with domestic shipping and will focus on International ONLY. It may only be temporary but, it appears as though they are out of domestic shipping indefinitely.

I worked for Airborne Express for a long time...left before they were bought out by DHL. It's an absolute disgrace what DHL did to Airborne. My wife was a customer service lead agent for 18 years, had 7 years to go till retirement....gone, done. She was among the 9500 people they laid off a couple of months back.

Airborne was primarily a domestic shipping company, focused on overnight letter express type deliveries. DHL was primarily a international shipping company. They came in and ran both companies into the ground....spending boatloads of cash, painting the trucks and advertising during the World Series....massive marketing campaign. Didn't work....too much too fast, done.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I thought DHL all but went out of business last Summer?

From Business Week:

Package delivery company DHL may have conquered the world, but it admitted on Nov. 10 that it couldn't conquer the U.S. The unit of Germany's Deutsche Post (DPWGN.DE) announced it will stop making express deliveries within the U.S., close all of its 18 main distribution hubs there, and lay off all but a few thousand of its remaining 13,000 U.S. workers.

Although DHL will continue to make deliveries to and from the U.S. and other countries, its withdrawal from the domestic express business is another setback for a blue chip German company in the world's biggest market.

Buisiness Week Nov 2008

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   

it will stop making express deliveries within the U.S.

That's domestic shipping.

top topics

join