It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible pot charges against Olympian Phelps go up in smoke

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
will he now recieve an international sports ban for taking illegal drugs? you know like all the others who have been banned for exactly the same thing.

and will he be denied access to other countries for having a drugs charge - you know like ANYONE who has been arrested for taking drugs , not convicted but arrested and you`ll be turned away to visiting the USA.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75

Anyway...I don't really give a poop about him or what did/would of happened in this case...I'm just amazed how less then 2% of ATS members actually blamed the person who put himself in this position...that being PHELPS!

The point of this thread was to point out the waste of time/taxpayer money on persecuting someone for a silly picture that doesn't even show the narcotic in question. I get that he made a mistake, he only has himself to blame, etc. What we are discussing is if thousands of dollars needed to be spent, 8 kids arrested, laptops and computers confiscated, all because of a photo that truly showed nothing illegal.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
No I wouldn't have persued legal means from that photo. I would of sat back and watched the media run with it like they did and let him deal with the backlash from the olympics committee etc... just like what happened.

And Kreeper I agree 100%....I liked pro athletes growing up, bet never to the point that I idolized any of them....these days it makes me sick how kids and hell even adults cry over these people, try to be just like them, etc...its pathetic.

There were no legal means that made sense to pursue in the first place, as nothing could be proven in those photos of what "narcotic" (
) if any, was there.

What makes me curious about your post is that it makes you sick to see how adults will cry over these people, but adults using the media to slam someone's career is perfectly ok. So it's wrong to empathize, but ok to ostracize?

You're right, America does need to get its priorities in order. They shouldn't be aspiring to be a sports hero, or an Olympic medal winner... they should be content with their place in society and just hope they can get on American Idol.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by bringthelight

And as a cop I agree with you...it wasn't worth the time or money. I guess its tough for me to overlook the excuse bus by MANY members for HIS actions. Sorry if I derailed your thread a little.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
phelps never denied the charges and as someone else said yes he stood up and took it like a man- as well he should.
the police raiding homes i find unreasonable over just a photo tho.
if the ioc really wanted to know- or the police for that matter- take a pee test or a hair sample. thc stays in your body for a month or so altho there are ways to cover it up- but not foolproof.
that would prove if he did or not.
also how do you even know from the photo he actually smoked? maybe he just pretended he did as a joke- a bad joke- but a joke none the less. a video would have been more definitive

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
There were no legal means that made sense to pursue in the first place, as nothing could be proven in those photos of what "narcotic" (
) if any, was there.

Yes actually there is, but I'm not here to debate that.

What makes me curious about your post is that it makes you sick to see how adults will cry over these people, but adults using the media to slam someone's career is perfectly ok. So it's wrong to empathize, but ok to ostracize?

I guess my point is I don't care about the personal lives of famous people. If you wanna sit in front of your TV and Computer and read about the retarded decisions our "hero's" make daily that up to you and others. So my post (after your assumption) isn't about empathizing or ostracizing...its about yet another famous person being the center of most people's day....sad!

You're right, America does need to get its priorities in order. They shouldn't be aspiring to be a sports hero, or an Olympic medal winner... they should be content with their place in society and just hope they can get on American Idol.

Not sure if your sarcasm in this section is for me but I hate American Idol soooo...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Kreeper

Well said Kreeper. Follow the money. I never thought of it that way. Its like a superhero that smokes pot and all their stupid TV ads that they have spent millions on are bunk.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

While I do understand your position being a cop and all. You have to realize that the people defending phelps' actions are the ones who think that marijuana shouldn't be against the law and shouldn't be so demonized. While I agree that marijuana should be legal (for many reasons). With respect to this situation I think that since phelps had no drug found on his person the law should stay out of it. Now with that said since it is currently illegal, if pot was found on his person, then he gets whatever the law says he gets.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I don't know how anyone could prosecute this. It's just a picture. There is no physical evidence of anything except for the picture. And a good lawyer could argue that away easily.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   

“Kellogg's had no problem signing up Phelps when he had a conviction for drunk driving, an illegal act that could actually have killed someone," said Rob Kampia, the group's executive director.

Source

This says it all for me. Kellogg's products are not allowed in our home anymore.

Legalize Maryjane and all this BS would go away. Hell it might even help balance the national debt we have in this country. Now there's a job making business for ya. I might even start my own business and make some money.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ExistenceUnknown

I understand peoples positions on "weed". I deal with it daily. I focus more on coke, heroin, meth, etc...but weed causes its on set of problems...anyway...I agree and as I said...was it worth persuing due to the photo...not in my eyes.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

Thanks for clearing that up rcwj. You sound like one of the good guys in blue.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
and just what do you think kids do at college parties? sit around drink tea and eat krimpets and discuss shakespeare? cmon. i'm huge sports fan but this crucifying of all athletes who do something wrong is getting out of hand. we are in huge financial trouble right now- we need to get our priorities straightened out. we are almost bankrupt but yet one of my congressmen- specter- thinks it is more important to waste congresses time and my money to prove the patriots cheated just because they beat his beloved beagles. now just how much money was wasted that could have been used for more important issues? and in phelps case how many police were wasting there time arresting people breaking in homes doing searches etc. when they could have been out stopping real crime- that they could actually prove? how many people were killed in that time period? how many crack deals went down? and so on.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Did you know corn flakes were created to feed people in instutions and lower their sexual cravings!! Look into the history of the man. he wasn't a very nice guy

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I agree it's silly to charge people over this but you or i would be. Phelps just bought his way out of this - like rich criminals usually do.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye

“Kellogg's had no problem signing up Phelps when he had a conviction for drunk driving, an illegal act that could actually have killed someone," said Rob Kampia, the group's executive director.

That's the same point i've been making. Drunk driving is by far the worst of all drug crimes, but the media gave phelps a pass over that. But then DUI is the drug crime of rich white people.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I can't help it, I love this story...

I know that talk about marijuana is taboo here, but I'd just like to say one thing. Do you think you are ever going to see Michael Phelps smoking cigarettes?
Hell no, he is the epitamy of healthy living. So, the question is - what in the wide, wide world of sports is wrong with this entire thing?
I just don't get it, well actually I do, but the part I don't understand is why the people haven't MANDATED that it be decriminalized.
The propaganda machinations of this government are very, very strong.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Make Speed Limit 45

I would say that DUI is the drug-crime of idiots. But that's just me.
Driving drunk is unacceptable.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
If people got the attention that Phelps did for holding a bong up to their lips and taking a picture then High Times magazine would be in some serious trouble

I thought from the very beginning that the whole story was silly. Phelps wasn't exactly the smartest person to let that picture leak, but even after it did him admitting it was weed is just silly. If it were me I would have said it was tobacco or maybe even Salvia hehe.
Yes the big bad weed is illegal to smoke if you don't have your magic doctor slip, but to come down on anyone like that for a flipping picture is, well,.. I don't even need to say it.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I don't see how he was persued in the first place. It was a picture and a bad one at that. His face was not even showing for the most part. The guy spends his entire life training to be an Olympic athlete and he gets # for taking a bong rip... give me a break.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join