It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia: Giant UFO seen by entire Siberian city, photo

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

www.esoreiter.ru...

...another source-its on the front page and its a significant paper-but since CNN didnt report it it didnt happen.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Excellent work. Thank you.

I certainly don't mean to imply that the lack of other English sources makes it a "non-event", just stating it threw up some red flags as all.

Thank you for providing additional sources.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Well another web page.
Same photo.
Can't read the web page though.
I find the international UFO hunt difficult with language
on youtube.

I get cursed out, google an interpretation and send it back in English.
The UFO conspiracy is too far reaching for low level Illuminati brains to
understand.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by stewartw2
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

www.esoreiter.ru...

...another source-its on the front page and its a significant paper-but since CNN didnt report it it didnt happen.

Here is the google translation for that story.

Residents of the northern margin Cheats witnessed an unidentified flying object. According to witnesses, yesterday, February 15, at about 18-10 local time in Chita in the area of telecentres in the sky was seen flying object. According to witnesses of the phenomenon, the object was at an altitude of 500 to 1000 meters, but the data may be inaccurate because of ignorance of the true dimensions of the UFO.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by stewartw2
reply to post by Gazrok

Here we go again- English language media didnt report=didnt happen

www.extra-media.ru...

Full google translation of above link.

Above Chitoy flying UFO
12:19 16.02.2009

Residents of the northern margin Cheats witnessed an unidentified flying object. According to witnesses, yesterday, February 15, at about 18-10 local time in Chita in the area of telecentres in the sky was seen flying object. According to witnesses of the phenomenon, the object was at an altitude of 500 to 1000 meters, but the data may be inaccurate because of ignorance of the true dimensions of the UFO.
The very object was dark and had an irregular shape, resembling a triangle with the corners smoothed. Based on that, for a time he disappeared over the horizon line, passing over the stadium «high», its speed can be estimated at about 5-7 meters per second. At the same time, no sound and light effects were observed.
Resident of the house number 20 on the street. Kochetkova, Anna Smagina:
- I vygulivala dog and noticed that the boys playing in the yard, look somewhere upwards. Then one cried: «UFO!». Just over a yard in the sky of a strange flying object was like nothing on earth.
One of the residents of the area managed to capture a UFO on a digital camera. According to the author photo, he has seen in the sky a dark spot and immediately rushed for the camera. At this time the UFO was just the right building GTRK «Chita».
- Several staff have been blurred by the fact that objects do not have time to focus on an object - it is fast enough to move, but still, a couple of good staff was able to do - he told the correspondent of RIA «Extra-media».
Russian

[edit on 17-2-2009 by tarifa37]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Good on you for your diligence, but did you Google in Cryllic?

I don't think many news reports out there in Siberia are filed in English.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brother Stormhammer
If the observers don't know the object's size or distance, any estimate of speed is highly open to question, as well.

So we don't know how big the object was or how close it was with accuracy. But the estimates do put a lower and upper bound on the object's distance and size. It clearly wasn't a bug or a bird at less than 10 feet away. and if it was much farther away than estimated, it would have had to be massive!

So, accurate or not, the estimates are better than no estimate at all. Even when they are subject to question, then what question is it that you would ask? or are you implying that the report has to be completely ignored based on the lack of accuracy of the estimates?

-rrr

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
and the ENTIRE city failed to take a single decent photo

if it really was ` 747 sized ` and < 2 km away then any camera with a telephoto lens , or decent zoom would get a good pic of it

Whenever I hear estimates of what people would or would not do, I laugh.

"Quick, go to the closet and get the decent, not crappy, telephoto lens, before the object goes away... uh... where are the damn batteries for the camera?"

meanwhile another guy...indoors...
"I wonder what's on channel 8..."

Another guy is driving, UFO is visible thru his rear window.... never noticed...

The idea that the entire world stops and everybody comes out of the house if a ufo passes by is only true in movies. The percentage of people looking at any given sector of the sky is unknown to me, but is probably much lower than you imagine.

Most people are indoors. And out of those out doors, most are in transit, in cars or vehicles, with most of their sky view obstructed. And those who are totally outdoors, are in an urban canyon, unless they are out in the country, with most of their sky view obstructed by buildings.

Of the few who actually have a view of the sky, most are distracted with something, whatever is in their minds at the moment.

So to find surprising the fact that few people notice events like this is to have an incredibly wishful notion of people's ability to see the sky.

-rrr

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I like this one. Okay, the photo is non-descriptive and there's little in the way of corroboration but it has a certain sense of 'could be' about it.

If I was an alien and wanted to hide my ship, Siberia would be a good place. Lots of scarcely populated spaces.

I don't know much about Russia but would the witnesses describe the size as a 747, rather then a Russian plane?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
It got a fair bit of media coverage in Russian

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
My apologies for not hopping on a plane for the Chita Kadala Airport immediately to investigate a photo of a blob....

Hmm, I don't know...

Well, okay then; apology accepted!

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I'm going to take a stab at this story and make a comment
on that I fuzzily remember seeing a design similar to this fuzzy
blurry photo as a large cargo carrying semi-rigid airship
built in Germany within the last 2 years. I think I even have
an archive photo....

Since it's past midnight Vancouver Canada time, I'll have to
do further research next evening - I'll do some more
Googling to see if I can find the original story!

Someone MUST have gotten a side-view shot somewhere
in Russia for me to compare to the German cargo blimp!

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by StargateSG7
I'm going to take a stab at this story and make a comment
on that I fuzzily remember seeing a design similar to this fuzzy
blurry photo as a large cargo carrying semi-rigid airship
built in Germany within the last 2 years. I think I even have
an archive photo....

Since it's past midnight Vancouver Canada time, I'll have to
do further research next evening - I'll do some more
Googling to see if I can find the original story!

Someone MUST have gotten a side-view shot somewhere
in Russia for me to compare to the German cargo blimp!

Ah do you mean this little beauty?

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
looks like a blob...could be anything really

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

It's a known fact that the presence of a UFO causes all high quality, and high speed cameras to malfunction, thus rendering them useless.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by SpacePunk

ha ha! love it!

second lines are alright aswell aren't they..

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Good on you for your diligence, but did you Google in Cryllic?

I don't think many news reports out there in Siberia are filed in English.

Don't know how many more times I can say it....but typically even reports in non-English countries are reported in various UFO sites, etc. This event didn't pop up on any of them. I was just stating it's a red flag, not that it didn't happen.

This site is in English, and most international news is in English. If you're looking to blame me...it's sadly misplaced.....

Good connection above with the test airship. The shape in the UFO pic actually reminded me of a Russian ship (maybe their version of the Space Shuttle) a few years back, will have to look for it....

EDIT: Here's one example:

www.russianspaceweb.com...

Here's the one I was actually thinking of:

www.kolchinsky.com...

[edit on 18-2-2009 by Gazrok]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Turbohale
www.--.com...

Above is a link to a new story from Russia. The entire population of the Russian town of CHITA saw this huge UFO. Sightings are rapidly gathering pace and there seems to be an abunance of pictures and witnessess emerging constantly....Enjoy and let me know what you think

Could it have been large army Tupolev(s) that was sighted ? Russia is in an armament phase right now and that includes experimental aircraft plus intense army transport needs. Perhaps it was a shipment of missiles to Iran, who knows?

Chita Northwest is an air base in Russia located 5 km northwest of Chita. Located on Chita's north side, this base contains a number of hangars and tarmacs. It is not to be confused with Chita Kadala Airport 10 km to its southwest. Google Earth imagery accessed in 2006 showed a number of Tupolev Tu-154 and Tu-134 aircraft as well as smaller transports and helicopters, suggesting that the airfield may have been converted over as a maintenance or storage depot for civilian aircraft.
Google Earth (Wikipedia entry)

"Chita Kadala Airport (IATA: HTA, ICAO: UIAA) is an airport in Russia located 10 kilometres west of Chita. It accommodates all types of airliners,"
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
To those better equipped to disseminate Russian news reports:

Have any other cell phone photos (or otherwise) shown up in the local presses?

EDIT: It's starting to pop up on some of the usual sites now.
I just wish we could get some additional pics and specific witness descriptions.

As to why the story said "747" it was probably a translation issue for western readers, as it's doubtful they'd know what an Ilyshin IL86 or Tupolev TU-134B was...

[edit on 18-2-2009 by Gazrok]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

No! That is Lockheed Martins test platform for a large 1000 tonne
lifting blimp...which is not truly a rigid device...

The blimp-derigible I am thinking of was a true semi-rigid device
designed for MANY thousands of tonnes of cargo capacity
mostly to be used for delivery of oil & gas drilling platforms,
trucks & drilling machines and supplies to northern climes
such as canada/usa/russia and for delivery of large products
to remote areas not accessible by shipping or road. It was
shaped like a lifting body airfoil with a flattened pointy front
end but a blunt rounded rear similar in shape to a
a flattened Toyota Previa minivan.

I keep thinking of a german company with a name
ending in -Teknik (Not Zeppelin LuftTeknik!) but it's
name currently escapes me....and I still can't find