It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia: Giant UFO seen by entire Siberian city, photo

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
www.--.com...

Above is a link to a new story from Russia. The entire population of the Russian town of CHITA saw this huge UFO. Sightings are rapidly gathering pace and there seems to be an abunance of pictures and witnessess emerging constantly....Enjoy and let me know what you think

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Well this isnt the chin scratcher I thought it would be when I clicked the link . I think there needs to be some more photos if possible of this object. (would search the blogoshpere myself but am at work right now, and my room is being re decorated right now so no access at home lol ).

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
This seems to be the only story about this alleged incident. No other news outlet or even UFO site seems to be mentioning it.

I'm wondering if the story's author is confused with the satellite collision that happened on the 10th, and the sightings reports are just coming out.

According to the article, there were numerous witnesses and cell phone photos, yet there's only one pic in the article. I'd love to see more photos, especially a non-cropped one showing reference objects vs. a black blob....

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
But then again...

Nothing in the main stream media... *super sigh*

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Call me a skeptic if you wish (it certainly won't be the first time I've been called that, or worse), but I have my usual question about this item. How do a group of untrained observers know that the object was "about the size of a 747" (which seems like an odd comparison for a Russian to make in any case), or that it was flying at "500 to 1000 meters above land"? The Mk. 1 Eyeball isn't a good range-finder at any real distance...we estimate range by size comparison. If you know how big something actually is, you can guess its altitude based on perceived size. If you know how far away something is, you can guess its size, based on perceived size. If you don't have any idea about either size or speed, guessing both with minimal reference points (for instance, an unknown object in a clear sky) is difficult at best. If the observers don't know the object's size or distance, any estimate of speed is highly open to question, as well.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
This seems to be the only story about this alleged incident. No other news outlet or even UFO site seems to be mentioning it.

With all due respect my friend, this happened in Russia.
They have a very different culture when it come to media.
Besides, it is a great, vast country... These things tend to stay local and then be absorbed into oblivion...

If you would like to know more, I recommend you to do the rest of the investigation by yourself. You most probably need to go there yourself (like I have done in such matters).

It is no easy thing, I know. But just because it is not all over the CNN right now is all but discrediting the story itself.

Keep your eyes open, but expect this to remain in darkness. Likely forever.
*double sigh*

[edit on 17-2-2009 by Raud]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raud

With all due respect my friend, this happened in Russia.
They have a very different culture when it come to media.
Besides, it is a great, vast country... These things tend to stay local and then be absorbed into oblivion...

If you would like to know more, I recommend you to do the rest of the investigation by yourself. You most probably need to go there yourself (like I have done in such matters).

It is no easy thing, I know. But just because it is not all over the CNN right now is all but discrediting the story itself.

Keep your eyes open, but expect this to remain in darkness. Likely forever.
*double sigh*

[edit on 17-2-2009 by Raud]

I thought Russia was actually a lot more liberal when it comes to matters such as this?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

I thought Russia was actually a lot more liberal when it comes to matters such as this?

Well yes, you are at least partly right.

Still two points should be taken into consideration:

1. As I mentioned, this is an enormous country, and people tend to bother only about what happens in their region. So what happens locally, stays local. Besides, things happen every where, all the time when you inhabit a land that makes 1/6th of the planets landmass... News like this just enters the current and gets drifted away...

2. Since they seem to have a more liberal view on such matters, maybe also that brings forth less of a "sensation" to it.
Now, maybe I am hard-lining it here, but the general Russian reader or journalist maybe just glances at it at thinks "oh well, another day in the empire...".
After the news has been broken out of direct occurance, it is of little value to the journalist. Old news so to speak.
The general culture amongst Russians when it comes to "news" is pretty low. What that has to do with is a separate discussion.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Turbohale

"On February 15th of this year at around 6pm"

I'm no expert....but at 6pm on the South coast of England it's dark already.

So I'm guessing Chita is further north than me. Or at least level(google maps) Wouldn't it be dark???

....I'd better add...the picture is in daylight...correct me if I'm mistaken,apologies in advance as I usually am!

[edit on 17-2-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   

It was estimated to be moving at around 7 metres per second.

hmmmm, sounds like normal wind speed for that kind af altitude to me and no mention of any abnormal weather conditions in the article.

With so little definative markings or any points of reference it's hard to truly estimate this things size. I know the article mentions "the size of a Boeing 747", but as a "blob" it's not possible to clarify this.

Let's hope there's some more information on this soon eh.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
So people said it was hard to photograph because of its speed... yet it was estimated to be moving at about 5-7 m/s. The average track runner does about that speed, so shouldn't they too be impossible to photograph?

I'd like to believe this story, but there are too many holes in it.

Just like Eragon...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Think also about the language barrier...
Now, maybe the author of the article is of english-speaking origin, but the information forwarded to him might have been fuzzy.

My thoughts:
1. Some sort of enormous baloon that has broken loose, like the ones used for commercial purposes
or
2. An aircraft of unknown origin.

Considering 1, hoping for 2.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I G ed the story there are other pages on the same photo and story.
Looking for new pics.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
roam around this site it covers alot in the media in russia

english.pravda.ru...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
and the ENTIRE city failed to take a single decent photo

if it really was ` 747 sized ` and < 2 km away then any camera with a telephoto lens , or decent zoom would get a good pic of it

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by lycopersicum
roam around this site it covers alot in the media in russia

english.pravda.ru...

Nice. Could have done the same myself, come to think of...

Still, one should know that Pravda is a little like the Russian version of The Sun.
Just saying, that's all...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Look like a stone someone threw up.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

My friend, I scoured many alternate news sites, UFO reporting sites, and of course, the usual searches.

My point is that even none of THEM are reporting this story, even if just regurgitating it...

I'm also well aware of Russia's media practices. And yes, while this doesn't negate the story altogether, it does raise some red flags...

My apologies for not hopping on a plane for the Chita Kadala Airport immediately to investigate a photo of a blob....

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Here we go again- English language media didnt report=didnt happen

www.extra-media.ru...

I can post about ten more such RUSSIAN MSM links.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Turbohale

It has those fuzz edges.
Electrical in nature perhaps.
Nothing but a flying antenna invented by the radio inventor himself.
Now we know why nothing much happened after than invention.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join