It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible meteorite? Pictures.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I was able to get them posted. Pictures are a few replys down.

Not a one liner!

[edit on 17-2-2009 by KnowMore]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
if you have the pics on a computer, you can very easily upload them to imageshack or photobucket for free

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Try here for uploading:

media.abovetopsecret.com...

It may work where you are.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Thanks for the info., but that is the problem. My work blocks those sites. I could wait till I got home, I just wanted to get them up so you all could see them and see what everyone thought. So if anyone is willing to put them on imageshack and post thme here, I can send them the pictures.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Try here for uploading:

media.abovetopsecret.com...

It may work where you are.

That may work. I could have them up in a few minutes.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   

OK, there we are. Below is the story that goes with it, and what I sent to C2C.

This rock has been in my family for years. My grandfather found it probably 60+ years ago near a local river. We have never found anyone who could tell us what it really is. We have always thought it was a meteorite.

From the top, it has a thin black crust on it, the bottom is weathered, and looks like a sandstone, and it has a couple of pieces of what looks like flint in it. It weighs in around 3lbs. It is non-magnetic, and non-metallic.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
That certainly is interesting. I can't help in determining what it is, but I'm curious to see if anyone here can.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by KnowMore

IF ITS NOT MAGNETIC ITS NOT A METEROITE!!! IF IT DOESNT HAVE A WIDMESDEN PATTERN ITS NOT A METEROITE, A OBJECT THIS SIZE IF EXTRATERRESTIAL WOULD WEIGHT MORE THAN 3 LBS

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by walkerwebber

^
^^ Not all meteorites are magnetic. Some can contain very little metal.

I'm not too sure what you meant by "magnetic", but even meteorites that ARE magnetic will not be "act like a magnet", i.e., a paper clip will not stick to it. They will, however attract a magnet -- but some only slightly.

to the OP --
It may be best to hang a magnet from a string and bring the object near the magnet to see if it is attracted to the object. Even if the attraction is weak, you may notice the magnet moving toward the object using this method.

Of course, this will only tell you that the object contains metals like iron and nickel. This is not the "final determination" as to whether or not it is a meteorite, but if it is magnetic it is a good sign.

[edit on 2/17/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by walkerwebber

IF ITS NOT MAGNETIC ITS NOT A METEROITE!!! IF IT DOESNT HAVE A WIDMESDEN PATTERN ITS NOT A METEROITE, A OBJECT THIS SIZE IF EXTRATERRESTIAL WOULD WEIGHT MORE THAN 3 LBS

What is a widmesden pattern? I could not find any inforation on that term. Not all meteorites are metalic, or magnetic. Common Achondrites are stony meteorites, that are non metalic, non magnetic.

I am by no means stating that is what it is, most likley it is not, but being a non metalic stone does not rule it out.

If someone is versed in this filed knows what it might be, please let me know.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I'm no expert but I'd say it looks like a volcanic rock, basalt or something... Looks like it was liquid and it solidified in that weird shape. Could be a meteor too, don't know.

Here's a link that I didn't have time to read yet:
Meteorite or Meteorwrong?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
There is no way to tell if it is a meteorite other than to have it tested.
It could be a piece of rock from anything.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Not a meteorite. Slag more than likely.

Sorry.

new topics

top topics

join