It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why i will quit school next year and never look back.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Something occurred to me after I posted that novel of a last post.

By "quitting school", do you mean dropping out? Or do you mean you'll be graduating high school and just aren't going to go to college? As I said at the end of my last post, if you're 17 you can't be that far off from graduating.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Count me as one of the college-educated who say go for it.

If I was you I would definitely stay in school long enough to get whatever the equivalent of a high school diploma here in the US is in Norway.

But then take some time to try and make it on your own. Asmeone2's suggestion about taking classes part time is a good one, as is the point someone else made that you can always go back to university later if you so choose. Keep your mind open to the possibilities that are out there, and don't be afraid to take a job that's not great if it's going to get you experience in a field you're interested in.

I'm 37 and I decided a couple years ago to make a career change that meant going back to university. And I'm far from being the only person my age in my classes.

Whatever you do, Good luck!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by linuxer

I won't try to convince you of anything, but I would ask you, as a favor, to read the following thread, which addresses many of the issues you brought up:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It is 4 pages long, and I created this thread last February. Ignore the thread title, because it really deals with education, experience, and what you need to do before you take that first big step out of the womb of education, and into the world of business or society.
I would ask you to read my posts there, because the things I talk about specifically address your situation. As Jenna and others have stated, higher education is not at all like high school, which quite bluntly, in many communities, has become nothing more than a babysitting exercise.

BTW, I started and successfully ran a corporation in IT consulting for about a decade, after having spent a quarter of a century in IT in the Corporate world. In the late 1990's, I then decided to accept a Professorship in IT and Business, and use my experience and knowledge to help others start and successfully run their own businesses. In the senior year of college, my students actually had to incorporate, set up a business plan, and present that as a senior project to me. Many of my students now have successful corporations, with six figure incomes.
Attempting to start your own business is not something I would ever recommend without the proper knowledge of legal, technical, marketing, and personnel issues. If you attempt that, the first time you get burned by a client who defaults on paying you for a large contract, you will realize that. Better to prepare and avoid such problems, than to learn the hard way. I hope you at least read what the thread talks about. After all, it is your future.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Consider the world we live in today. It's all changing so fast. Things are not going to be the same a year from now. You need to prepare for the days ahead.

Going to university in my opinion in today's world is a total waste of time and money.

Survival skills, learning practical things, learning a useful trade, not wasting your time learning useless information about how to survive in a society that won't even be here. We are headed to WWIII and total world depression, world hunger and famine and pestilence.

Self-reliance is what you need, useful skills, so people will want to keep you around when the going gets tough, so you can contribute something practical and useful. Figure out how to fix things, grow things, build things, cook things.

Unless you want to go to work for the police state and become a drone.

Memorize scripture.

Learning is good. The Bible says, My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Time is precious, we don't have much of it to waste, and so I'd say grab what you can that will serve you best. Find something you can do well that people will need your help or service or product. A trade. Everybody needs a trade or to be a merchant.

In the coming world I don't see much use for office workers and paper pushers or most white collar jobs, not in a world in depression and war and plagues.

Learning First Aid, how to treat people with diarrhea, and how to save people's lives with herbs or whatever you can get on hand -- what a useful thing to know in the days to come.

Look ahead and prepare yourself for a future that people don't want to admit is coming. Big market for alternative medicine, for survival skills of all kinds unless you want to go work for the antichrist and be a gestapo.

I say the best we can hope for is to make it through the few years to come.

Learn the Bible which says that in the last days people will not be able to buy or sell without the "mark of the beast" -- a mark on the forehead or right hand. The Bible says that all who take this mark will lose their souls.

Now is the time to study the Bible. It will be the most useful thing of all you can study.

Many here will not agree with that, but it's the truth nonetheless.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Salt of the Earth

Survival skills, learning practical things, learning a useful trade, not wasting your time learning useless information about how to survive in a society that won't even be here. We are headed to WWIII and total world depression, world hunger and famine and pestilence.

Well, aren't you a ray of sunshine. I'm still wondering how survival skills translate into starting a business.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
Well, aren't you a ray of sunshine. I'm still wondering how survival skills translate into starting a business.

Anything that people can do well that other people can't, things that will be in demand, can translate into a business, or a barter, or some kind of way of trading off with others if there is no money to buy things with.

In the end, it all comes down to survival skills, even in the peaceful economy and happy days of the U.S. in days gone by, learning what needs to be learned to survive and prosper.

I agree with you that learning, getting an education, is crucial to that end. The question on this thread is "Learn what?" and "Learn it where?"

Blessings. Have a good day.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Agree with you man...What they teach in school is useless information not relevant or current to our circumstances. Even in College, taking multiple classes that I would never use...I was never a fan of school and truly can't say that I learned anything I haven't learned like you by googling, researching, and living through it.

Unfortunately we live in a world thats so narrow-minded people who disagree with you think you won't be successful when in fact some of the greatest minds on this planet never went to school and became the most successful. You are a league ahead of where you should be and I praise you for it. Well done my friend. You've woken up to a sleeping society. Life's bigger than what you learn in textbooks...School makes the world seem irrelevant. What you learn today and whats going on today in the world are two completely different things. I will be homeschooling my children because I don't feel any teacher can adequately teach any subject the way it should be taught. This nation especially when it comes to school is overly-critical. SAT's, ACT's...test after test after test of mindless, useless information designed to place you in a category comparing you and millions of other students. It's absolutely ridiculous and overly critical. Right on man....

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Party on little dude.

You got to have some fun while you're young.

Got your whole life to work.

Don't think of university as a place to get a formal education.

Think of it as the last time in life you can congregate with a bunch of hot chicks, booze, and drugs without any responsibilities. Even if you're a mal-adjusted freak you'll still meet plenty of naughty miscreants looking to go wild.

I never memorized any of the useless crap they tried to teach me in college, but I had a great time hanging out. Now I rake in the money hand over fist with my own buisness without anyones help and no degree. Just smarts.

If you're as smart as you think you are you'll see what a waste you're youth will be if you don't do some bads things that society will only overlook because you're young. That's a real education; learning from mistakes.

Schooling or not, don't work your youth away.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColdWater
Party on little dude. You got to have some fun while you're young. Got your whole life to work. Don't think of university as a place to get a formal education. Think of it as the last time in life you can congregate with a bunch of hot chicks, booze, and drugs without any responsibilities. Even if you're a mal-adjusted freak you'll still meet plenty of naughty miscreants looking to go wild. I never memorized any of the useless crap they tried to teach me in college, but I had a great time hanging out. Now I rake in the money hand over fist with my own buisness without anyones help and no degree. Just smarts.

I can think of better ways to party and sow your wild oats than to pay a ton of money for the privilege of "memorizing a bunch of crap" as you say.

How about using all that money to take a vacation, to travel, to go live in a beach house where the college kids come to party? Or just get an apartment in a college town and hang out with the preppies. Cheaper and no homework.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Salt of the Earth
Anything that people can do well that other people can't, things that will be in demand, can translate into a business, or a barter, or some kind of way of trading off with others if there is no money to buy things with..

True, but being able to take care of yourself isn't something people will pay you to do. At least they haven't started paying me yet, though I do accept paypal.

I agree that survival skills are important and everyone should know how to survive if some unforeseen disaster strikes and they have no choice but to fend for themselves or starve. But unless they are planning to teach survival classes, I just don't see there being much of a market for it.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Part of getting an education also means you've accomplished something and saw it through from start to finish.
I understand your gripe with school and your friendship with Google but what's wrong with supplementing your current cirriculum with a little Google?
You'll get credit for your course plus you may even get extra credit for your Google based research.

I sure hope you have an idea about what you want to do with your business because being successful in business requires you to do research. If you are going to start a business you'll also need money, so working for someone will allow you to save.

I appreciate your optimism but like most kids your age you don't have a clue about what it's like to make a living after High School. I'm not saying starting a successful business can't be done but it's alway good to have a backup plan in case you fail. This is where education can save you because nobody will take a chance on hiring some know-it-all kid with no accredited education that may quit at any time.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
The original poster here has been strangely quiet...hope the posts were helpful to him!
I'm on the skip-college side, that is, if you can't see a use for it in the context of your own life and purposes.
I skipped college. Just to check, I took college entry exams when I was in high school (about 1972). I scored in the 99th percentile.

But I was convinced that college would not teach me what I wanted to know. (I did not want to know how to be successful within the framework of the current society.) And I am quite sure it would not have. BUT I didn't want to start a business. That, to a marked degree, involves knowing how to be successful within the framework of the current society.

You might or might not learn this by going to college. Some people manage to make great use of their time in college (example: Tesla). Others get almost nothing out of it.

What is almost absolutely for sure is: You will need to be able to learn things that most college courses don't cover.

I went to a vocational school and learned enough to get a job as an electronics technician. I enjoyed that work, and could have made a life of it, but I still wanted to learn about things they don't teach you in college. And I did. I ended up poor as a church mouse but rich in knowledge. Maybe not rich enough to escape the traps of poverty. But I did find out what it is that they don't teach in college: the way out. It's a difficult path, but at least I know that it exists.

To linuxer: I really hope that your decisions work out well for you. The only way to know is to try.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by linuxer

GL to you.

I am always into what helps our young people.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
The Illuminati have all the good history and science locked up and
won't let it out.

Just a taste of the good stuff will bring you around energize
your ambition.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join