It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why i will quit school next year and never look back.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Shortly about me, i am 17 and i love business; i love the excitement of creating one and having the freedom to work for myself and be my own boss.

That is why i am quitting school, i learned more of what i will use from google searches than sitting in class. My 2 goals in life are to start my own businesses and NOT to work for a boss; and school will only slow me down.

For one, schools seem to teach kids how to work for others, i've never been to a school that focuses on you being your own boss.

Second, when it comes to business, learning is 40% reading and 60% experience, for me to really learn, i need to experience what i know instead of assuming it's all correct because it came from a teacher's mouth.

I believe i learned all i will use from schools, the rest i must learn from experience, not by sitting in a room for 6 hours with 30 other kids.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Good for you. I totally agree with what you say about not needing school. If you need to study specific things you can get into trade schools or community college if you can pass their entrance exam, or take the GED which I'm sure you'd pass with flying colors.

My only question, why wait to quit? If you're 17 you are old enough to have quit a year ago.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by Salt of the Earth]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Salt of the Earth

Oh, I see you're from Norway. Here in the states they have a GED test they give that most people could easily pass in sixth grade. But they imprison people until they are 16, teaching them things like trash sorting, global warming, saving the rain forests, how to work in a group, and why the things they were taught at home and in church are completely bogus and other things to equip them to be good little global citizens. When they graduate, most can't reason, can't think, can't spell and can't add and subtract.

Just the kind of people Obama wants for his million- manned youth brigades he wants, the ones that will be armed and sent out to spy out everybody and make sure we're not putting out too much carbon into the air. These young zealots will have guns (as in the Khmer Rouge pictured in the KillingFields), but the populace will be disarmed, if Obama and his Zionist handlers have their way, and they are moving so fast to accomplish this last goal of disarming the populace and getting ready for martial law and to ready the concentratioan camps we can't keep up with it. The latest legislation was over 1,000 pages long, will take almost everybody's guns away if they ever were prescribed prozac (and other antidepressants) or ritalin or had a DUI. Congress didn't even have time to read it, and they were pressured into signing off on it. It takes off where the Patriot Act ended, and what little freedom Americans still have will be gone as it is put into regulation and they begin to enforce.

Meantime, everybody is ga ga over our new charming president with his big smile, and we're all feeling so brotherly love to have a black (or brown) president.

When we are all dead and/or microchipped and standing in the breadlines in our cozy government camps it won't matter what Michelle wore or Obama's charisma as being The One.

The One that's going to get us all killed.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by linuxer

High school is not a business school. Thus the reason they don't teach you anything about being your own boss. I'd imagine that it's the same in Norway. If you have something similar to the GED and you can pass it, go for it.

However, there is more to running a business than just being your own boss. Before you go quitting school thinking everything will be roses, you need to think everything completely through.

What kind of business are you going to start? What is your product going to be? What can you offer that people are going to want to pay for? Where are you going to get the start up money for this business? How are you going to advertise your business? Where are you going to work from? Do you have the self-discipline needed to keep track of inventory, sales, customers, etc? Do you have the self-discipline to not sit around doing nothing all day just because you don't feel like working? Are you financially responsible? Or are you just going to spend every dime you make without saving any of it or investing it further into your business? Are you going to need someone else to start the business with you for financial reasons? Are you going to need any employees? If so, how many? Are you knowledgeable in accounting? How about payroll specifically? Do you know what paperwork you will need to fill out to start your own business and/or hire employees? What will you do if no one wants to pay for your product? Will you find a new product? Change your prices? Go back to school?

And that isn't even half of what you need to think about before you quit school to start a business. I just wouldn't recommend quitting school thinking that you'll just start your own business and be set for life. There is a lot of thinking and planning that you need to do beforehand and even then your business still may not take off.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   
There has to be more reason to stay in school other than you haven't figured out every angle on starting your own business. They say the road to success is paved with failures. Every day you wait is a day wasted.

Even getting a low paying dead end job someplace can be helping to start your business, if you save your money and invest it in the equipment or training you think you'll need for your business.

And nobody says you have to start out with a big flash bang. You can start where you are and build from there. There's people who are 16 years old making a ton of money working their own landscape business, whatever.

You don't need the government brainwashing system any longer than necessary. If you can get free practical training through the government school, that's another matter. Any training that you can get to learn the things you want and need to know to run your business that's FREE you should grab it. There are a lot of people who graduate from fancy colleges with $200,000 debts and can't get a job anymore than the guy who quit school.

College is totally overrated.

Even medicine, people are using alternative medicine in out of pocket payments as much as allopathic medicine. I see a big demand in alternative medicine for people who are able and willing to help people be well by using diet, herbs and natural means. Who wants Big Pharma's horrid pills, surgery and allopathic medicine's treatments of symptoms only when for much less money, using gentler means without side effects, and that get to the root of the problem to bring real health?

People like you who read the Internet can see outside the box and see new ways of doing things that can help people and can get you a real business. There's all kinds of things.

Once we hit fifth grade, we know how to read, write and add. The rest is just a waste of time unless people want to go into science and math, but why imprison the rest, the other 98 percent, for 7 more years?

I agree with your decision to get out and get cracking on making a real life for yourself.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I quit school at 16 myself. For me it was more about learning to socialze with people different from myself and not about an education anyway. Everything I learned I read about in books or the internet. I did go back to school because I was under a lot of pressure to get an "education" from my parents but it was a monumental waste of time and money. All I learned in college was that to be "cool and succeed" I had to binge drink, sleep around, and rack up a lot of debt. I quit before getting my degree and went to work instead.

By societies standards I'm a failure. I don't "own" my own house, I don't have a lot of debt, I don't have a useless degree, I don't have a shiny new car, I don't get heartburn becasue I'm stressed out over my job, I don't give a toss about moving "up" in the world.

I do enjoy a life rich with experiences, I do know how to grow a garden, I do read a hell of a lot, I do travel, I do seek to expand my mind, I do contribute to my community, I do have a wonderful partner with whom I can LIVE my life, I do freely enjoy my hobbies, I will one day raise children...and no, I'm not rich..I have a job which pays a salary on the lower end of the spectrum, but I'm not by any means poor.

Your parents won't be happy about it, probably, as they were probably also raised to believe that self worth should be based on wealth, but they will get over it as long as they see you doing what makes you happy and as long as you have some semblence of financial independance.

As for starting your own business, Good luck to that, just remember not to let it enslave you to that vicious cycle that says that self worth, that who you are and what you are worth and how good your life is all about how much money you have in the bank. I have about 18 pounds in the bank right now, just enough to keep the account open and I couldn't be happier.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
The thing I like about your idea to start your own business is that it means you can set your own schedule, that you will be your own boss, and there will be no end to what you can do. It will be completely up to you. When you have your own business you set your own goals. By starting out young as you are, you have the energy to do what needs to be done.

Most people find out when they have run out of energy and time that they would like to have their own business, and realize it's not really all that hard to do.

All you have to do is provide a service to people that they want and need. You get letterhead, a business card, pay for a few ads in the local pennysaver shopper, or put up flyers, hang out a sign in front of your house, whatever.

Keep your overhead low in the beginning and before you know it you will have all the work you can use, to the point you might want to hire somebody to help you.

That's when the problems begin. If you work with somebody informally it's better. Try to stay away from the government paperwork as much as possible and keep it as simple as you can.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
By the way, what business do you intend on starting? Does it have anything to do with computers? (I say that because of your alias).

If you are a computer whiz, you can always advertise to do house calls and help people hook up, get rid of their viruses, install software for them, tutor them, all kinds of stuff. Just put up a little ad in your pennysaver and your phone will be ringing. Start out charging low, feel your way along. When your prices are low people are very forgiving, especially to a newbie.

Don't be skeered. Start now. Don't wait.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by linuxer

If this is your decision then it is one you need to plan out well. Not all places are keen on one just dropping out of school.( An exit exam would be a great thing to have down the road) I for one left school very early and began working under the table to run three business's at the age of 15. BUT I had an ace in the hole you see. I had taken the time to work along side people who where self employed and learned how things worked through their generous teachings.
You should see if you can find someone to mentor you so that you can avoid common mistakes most people make when running a company themselves. There are thousands of self employed people all over the world who graciously volunteer their time to help young and up coming business men and women. A simple search of your local Small Business Agency should yield you some contacts who can assist you in finding the literature and papers you will need to get started.
Most of all and ABOVE all else remember that you will make mistakes the key is to learn from them and not let them turn you back! Start small and set even smaller goals so that they are easy to achieve and at the same time makes it easier to learn along the way.
Setting a huge goal of making say 50 grand in the first year straight off is a bad one, start real small say making a few hundred a week after about a month of operation. Setting the goals lower and in shorter periods makes it easier for you not only to track, but it helps build your resolve in times of difficulty.( Not to mention when you exceed them the confidence you gain is awesome) It is a ton of fun to run a biz if you take it slow and don't over load yourself with HUGE goals. Good luck to you!

To Add:
P.S.
If you are really smart take a secondary IQ test and allow them to publish the results if they are really good. This will actually get you help you could never have gotten anywhere else.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by xoxo stacie]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
you're wrong

you're a young version of how i used to think in a way honestly

i used to think it was a waste of time, until time passed and you can look back in retrospect

you're right about google

you can learn a lot online

and you're right its not all about learning and reading in a classroom, you need life experience also

but honestly you may be going to the wrong schools

school is a incredible resource, even the most intelligent, successful businessmen i have ever met say school is an incredibly valuable resource not to be taken for granted as school is always ONLY what YOU make of it

you're young, all you have in this world is time, use it wisely

you can find the right schools and learn the right topics and study in the right fields and all will help you go farther

my recommendation or advice to you is to stay in school

it doesn't have to be full time or some major college

even if you only take a few classes here and there, take the ones that are specifically related to your field

personally i went to a film school, and even oscar award winners would talk in class about how they still go to ucla extension to take classes every once in a while

it keep you sharp, keeps you proactive in the learning process as all life is, is learning

on top of that, its a good tool to make contacts, even if you're a genius and you know everything about your field, even if you have all the contacts you need, gaining more will only further you, and sometimes open your eyes to new ideas and ways of thinking

quitting school altogether when you have the ability to go to school, only shows immaturity

the sign of a true genius, the sign of a truly successful businessman is to utilize critical thinking

dropping out of school at age 17 doesnt necessarily utilize that

have people become overwhelming successfull by doing what you're about to do?
yes

have a much more in-proportionate amount of people failed and fell on their faces by doing what you want to do? yup

A LARGE amount of americans have done that, its a ego thing

you're young, you automatically have a large ego, it comes with the age

i believe it was troy aikman who just recently graduated from ucla....years after he became a hall of fame superbowl winning quarterback and successful businessman

are you smarter or more business savvy then him? no offense but probably not, as his experience trumps any knowledge or experience anyone at a age as young as yours could have

take my advice, be yourself, continue to learn on your own

chase your dreams

but do it with intelligence

even if its taking one class a semester

20 years from now i promise you wont look back with regret about going to a few classes here and there, but i guarantee, chances are much higher that you will look back with regret if you dont utilize and take advantage of the resources available to you

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
You learned how to read and write in School, you need to continue that education in universities.
Universities are not like High School. You dont need to do one or the other, they are not exclusive, i did both. I started a Manufacturing company and at the same time went to night school, then to regular classes 2 days a week when the company was able to sustain itself.

At least take one semester to experience what University level education can teach you, there is much more to learn in Life than Google. Facts learned on the computer can never substitute for waht can be learned in a university environment. Try it and see for yourself.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Just for the record, I never said not to take classes. I'm not against trade school.

I'm against most of high school as a waste of time, or worse, unless they are going to teach you a trade or something useful. If you haven't learned to add and subtract, read and write and spell by fifth grade, you never will.

Most people can pass their GEDs easily by sixth grade.

It is a place for the government to instill their NWO propaganda mostly, a place to get your spirit crushed, not to mention your morals by the time they get done teaching you that abortion and euthanasia are good, that sexual perversions are good and even if you don't indulge yourself you better learn to "appreciate" those who do, that drugs are necessary because almost everybody is on them as scripts by the school's own request, that you are a slave and can't say certain words (like "hate") or just all the nonsense they do to warp people's minds in the schools.

I say get out as soon as possible, and get your training online or go to trade school. Trade schools are much better than community colleges, but they cost more.

Apprenticeships are good too. Work cheap for somebody if they will show you the ropes.

Keep studying and learning on your own. That's how you learn best. Most important thing you can learn, the Bible. Memorize it. You can never study it enough. Use the Internet to check out the doctrines people try to tell you is the only way to interpret the Bible, compare them, and make sure you know the scriptures yourself. This will be your plumbline to keep you straight through life and take you through the way you want to go.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
In all honesty after about, oh I don't know, 7th grade? School becomes pretty pointless. BUT (and that's a big but) you still need that piece of paper (diploma) if you are ever going to be considered for any job above clerk, cashier, or burger flipping. A college degree is mandatory if you need something to fall back on in case you hit rough times. Owning a business is definitely a wonderful ambition. However, take a moment and look at our current economy in the states and realize that sometimes nothing beats a guaranteed (almost) paycheck every week or 2 weeks as opposed to the "I wonder if my business does well this week" mentality of business ownership. I know plenty of small business owners who have had to close shop in this economy and luckily they had degree's to fall back on to get them through the rought times.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Degrees only matter in the matrix, and the matrix is disintegrating before our eyes.

In the days to come it will be self-reliant people, people who actually know how to do things, that will manage well.

People who are good at what they do can get a job. Even academics can get jobs teaching without degrees if they are good at what they do.

The point is to be good at what you do, and the more things you can be good at the better. The more things you know, practical things, the better -- how to cook, garden, fix things, know basic electrical and plumbing, how to hunt and fish, how to find wild plants to eat, survival skills. Know how to take care of yourself to stay healthy, understand nutrition, how to prepare food the right way, how to keep your body and soul in good health, how to live well.

If you need more specialized training for what you want to do, try to find a way to get it the cheapest way possible with the least fuss.

WWIII is coming and a lot of bad stuff, all thrown at us courtesy of the NWO, and we'll be doing well just to survive without getting microchipped. Who cares about filling out job applications and having some fancy university degree? Who knows how many of these degrees people claim are even real? Do employers ask to see the diplomas? No.

If people want jobs they can also do temp jobs, and if people like you and see you are on the ball, you've got yourself a good job.

The people with the degrees are not necessarily the ones doing well. Many of them can't get any better job than McDonald's themselves.

The government schools are a waste of time, worse than a waste of time -- just propaganda mills turning out compliant groupthink drones for the NWO, the ones Obama is going to hire his million-maned youth brigades to oversee the rest of us to make sure we're not flushing our toilets too much or whatever.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Salt of the Earth
They say the road to success is paved with failures.

Yes, paved with failures who didn't have a good enough plan or a good enough product. Some people come up with a hit the first time, but many more fail repeatedly before coming up with something people will pay for, and many many more never come up with anything that sells.

There are a lot of people who graduate from fancy colleges with $200,000 debts and can't get a job anymore than the guy who quit school.

College is totally overrated.

And there are a lot of people who drop out of high school and end up working at McDonald's the rest of their lives because they have no marketable skills.

I'm guessing you've never been to college.

Even medicine, people are using alternative medicine in out of pocket payments as much as allopathic medicine. I see a big demand in alternative medicine for people who are able and willing to help people be well by using diet, herbs and natural means.

People are dying from thinking a hope and a prayer can cure cancer, and are being taken by scam artists who tell them that vitamin C will cure everything too. Pills may not be the answer for everything, but some things you have to have medication for.

People like you who read the Internet can see outside the box and see new ways of doing things that can help people and can get you a real business. There's all kinds of things.

The internet is full of misinformation. I wouldn't rely solely on things found online to educate myself about anything.

Once we hit fifth grade, we know how to read, write and add. The rest is just a waste of time unless people want to go into science and math, but why imprison the rest, the other 98 percent, for 7 more years?

Because many people don't know how to read, write, or add after fifth grade because they spend all their time thinking they know everything already and that school is worthless.

Most people find out when they have run out of energy and time that they would like to have their own business, and realize it's not really all that hard to do.

Except that there is a lot of planning and thinking that goes into starting a successful business. Other than that, no it's not hard at all. That's why everyone has their own business.

Try to stay away from the government paperwork as much as possible and keep it as simple as you can.

Do you have your own business? If so, is it successful? If it is, how many times have you been audited? Paperwork is a necessary evil of owning a business. Don't do the proper paperwork and the government can and will bite you on the rear end.

I'm against most of high school as a waste of time, or worse, unless they are going to teach you a trade or something useful.

High school is what you make of it. Spend all day wishing you were anywhere besides there and no, you won't learn anything useful. Actually pay attention and you might.

Most people can pass their GEDs easily by sixth grade.

Yet a lot of people who drop out can't.

It is a place for the government to instill their NWO propaganda mostly, a place to get your spirit crushed, not to mention your morals

. . . . .

Most important thing you can learn, the Bible. Memorize it. You can never study it enough.

Wow, so school is nothing but brainwashing basically then you tell them to memorize the Bible like no one has ever been brainwashed by religion.

Degrees only matter in the matrix, and the matrix is disintegrating before our eyes.

Except out in the real world where if you want a decent job that pays well you need one. Do you have a degree? Honestly the more of your posts I read in this thread, the more I am starting to think that you possibly are still a teenager yourself. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but come on now. The Matrix was a movie. It isn't real.

In the days to come it will be self-reliant people, people who actually know how to do things, that will manage well.

Guess where a lot of people learn how to do things... By getting an education.

People who are good at what they do can get a job. Even academics can get jobs teaching without degrees if they are good at what they do.

Tell that to all the people who have been laid off due to the economy and can't find a job. Apparently those hundreds of thousands must all be horrible workers since they can't find a new job. You can't even substitute teach elementary school without at least taking some college courses.

The more things you know, practical things, the better -- how to cook, garden, fix things, know basic electrical and plumbing, how to hunt and fish, how to find wild plants to eat, survival skills. Know how to take care of yourself to stay healthy, understand nutrition, how to prepare food the right way, how to keep your body and soul in good health, how to live well.

Useful if you are going to go live in the woods and/or hide from the world. Not so much when it comes to running a business since those require a license, certification, or degree if you want to get a job somewhere doing them, unless you are flipping burgers of course, and taking care of yourself isn't a job skill.

If you need more specialized training for what you want to do, try to find a way to get it the cheapest way possible with the least fuss.

I think this is the one thing I completely agree with you about.

Who cares about filling out job applications and having some fancy university degree? Who knows how many of these degrees people claim are even real? Do employers ask to see the diplomas? No.

People who want jobs care. People who have been laid off, are losing their homes, and are starving now care. Most people who claim to have a degree actually have them since most employers do background checks. They can and do check to see if you are honest about your education, unless of course you are flipping burgers. Then they don't care so much.

The people with the degrees are not necessarily the ones doing well. Many of them can't get any better job than McDonald's themselves.

Because a lot employers aren't hiring right now and actually are cutting their workforce. Hard to find a job when there aren't any. When the economy isn't going down the toilet you won't find many people working for McDonald's if they have a degree.

~~~~~~~

Linuxer -

The best advice I can give you is to not take a stranger's advice on the internet about whether or not you finish your education. (And yes I see the irony in that sentence.
) Being 17 you can't possibly have that much longer till you graduate high school. As big of a waste of time as you think it is, it's worth it to finish and if you pay attention in your classes you might learn something that will be useful down the road.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
You need an incredible amount of drive to get ahead without school. I hope you have it. Otherwise, you lose. I quit school thinking the cold war would end the world

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I hope you have a damn good plan. I wish you l uck, I truly do, but idealism doesn't go as far as a paycheck.

People like Bill Gates make it seem easy. What we tend to forget is that he could give a dollar to every person who thought they had a project or idea that would take off as well as his.

I do own my own business so I can say, it will not be profitable at first. You will loose money. THey you will go through lon gperiods of just barely breaking even. There will be so much work involved in just getting a profit.

This is why most small businesses do not succeed IMO. I think people just get so frsutrated they would rather go back to working for the man.

I would advise you to go to school while you work on your busines, even if you're just taking a class or two at a time. There's nothing wrong with going to school (although it could be cheaper!).

Typically the onyl people I hear ranting about the "Schools set up to make workers for the NWO omg!!!" are frustrated because they are still in school.

Yes, it sucks at time, it's difficult and expensive, and the stoopits drag you down, but it does pay off. There is nothing wrong with learning for learning's sake, BTW>

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by linuxer

You can go to uni at any point in your life and will get more out of it than if you were to just following the post high-school herds (I walked out of a well-paid but ultimately dead-end career job, enrolled at uni as a mature student and aint looked back)

all the best for your new venture...go for it!

Originally posted by asmeone2
I would advise you to go to school while you work on your busines, even if you're just taking a class or two at a time. There's nothing wrong with going to school (although it could be cheaper!).

Good point...Here in the UK we have 'Business Link' which is an advisory body for Small/Med enterprises that can help you access grants and start-up capital

You may be able to get funding or a fee-waiver for industry-related college courses etc. under the banner of 'staff training'...particularly if your stated income from the business is below the 'low income' threshold

[edit on 17-2-2009 by citizen smith]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I know a young man who quit school soon as he turned 16 and is self-employed. He sells firewood he cuts himself. He buys used farm equipment and plants a field of beans and sells them. He works at an inn as a cook during the off season when he's not farming. He keeps investing his money into equipment. He works hard and is honest. He quit school because he said he was bored and wanted to get on with life.

Everybody needs a trade, something you can do well that others will hire you to do. Go to trade school or get an apprenticeship or both. Once you understand that business, open up your own.

You have to know how to do something well that people need. You must learn how to do this. You aren't necessarily going to learn it in government school or in a university.

Learn how to do something, anything, well. The world is full of incompetent people who don't care, who just go through the motions.

Whatever you do, give it your best. Be good at what you do.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Do you want to SURVIVE or THRIVE. The decision is yours. It sure is nice having +100k salary. Worrying about if you can eat tommorow is not so nice.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join