It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pet Chimpanzee Shot After Mauling US Woman

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

The dog whisperer?!?!!!??

OK....well, next up! Dr. Phil!!!!

Oh....ermmm....I have a horse who can add two plus two....oh, next week? I understand.....clomp, clomp, clomp, clomp...."Wait a minute!!! Didn't yo hear that? He just said FOUR!!!

Well, I do need glue for my scrapbook.....

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

So, basically, if you dont want to believe it, it doesnt matter who covers it, or how much footage exists, its just a viral hoax.

Lol. Right.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

should the police officer be tried for murder?

Your joking right?

God, I hope your joking..

The ape apparently was well known in town according to the article, he apparently just snapped one day. 15 years without a single incident and one day decides he doesn't like the womans face so he mauls her.

His owner then attacked the chimp with a butcher knife.

At the time of the shooting, the chimp followed retreating police to their cars, then tried to force himself into a car through a door that he opened. Thus ends the life of Travis the Chimp.

In any case, even if the chimp where Human, the Human would be shot under the same circumstances.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Zenic

and why not discuss it? whats wrong with talking about smething outside of the box?

reply to post by Rockpuck

so you think animals are all dumb? this happened directly after the chimp was pumped full of drugs - the same drugs which also have `warning possible reaction` printed on the label.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Illusions....read the rest of my posts!!! Please....my ability at humor was lacking....but, this concept has been shown to be not 'murder', I thought I could lighten the mood....

EDIT...after a beloved pet dies....ya know...lighten the mood?

[edit on 2/18/0909 by weedwhacker]

[edit on 2/18/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I still dont get the humor, but that may be my own fault. I tend towards literal mindedness sometimes. I do agree that this was not murder.

A tragic incident, caused by humans deciding to keep as a pet a relatively intelligent animal that has its own needs and desires that sometimes conflict with its owners and other humans needs and wants.

But the cops had no choice but to shoot the poor guy. At that stage he was a dangerous creature, same as a human on a violent rampage would have been, and I think the cops would have had to do the same had it been a human behaving that way with that level of capability of inflicting harm. In fact, they may have shot the human quicker.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Exactly....a bear, a cougar....name the animal.

Tragic that 'tranquilizers' are not standard equipment....but, that is only something from Hollywood.

A 'taser' might have worked....but, again....sad to say, the animal attacked the policeman.

Here's a terrible story....from the Washington Post...it was months ago, the MAYOR, (in a suburb of MaryLand) and his wife, and their two dogs, were victims of a SWAT team home invasion because they were suspected drug dealers.

(It was a FedEx employee and partner who dropped packages to innocent victims...THEY were doing the drug smuggling)

Due diligence....??? Uh uh! SWAT broke down the door, and shot the couples' two Black Labs....(forensics would later determine that one of the dogs was shot as he was running away, which refuted the officer's claims that they were 'threatened' by the dog)

Golly, sorry....went off topic, was thinking about killing pets.....but these stories deserve mention....

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
People with Lyme disease suffer with what is called "Lyme Rage" .. drastic outbursts of verbal violence.. Lyme is also officially diagnosed as showing heavy signs of psychosis.

I wonder if this incident would have happened if the chimp wasn't suffering from Lyme disease.

I wonder if someone did a study, of chimpanzies in human care for whatever reason.. and divide two groups into a control group and study group.. and inject the study group with the Lyme spirochete bacteria, and see if the level of violence or agitation increases extroardinarily compared to the control group.

aaaah Lyme disease.. post-operation paperclip Plum Island New York biohazard research lab leakings via ticks to nearby Lyme Conneticut.. now out from under Army control and under Homeland security Dept moved to Colorado...

human rage disease? zombie-esque echoes? bio-warfare...

read this article on the chimp attack ...
www.wfsb.com...#-
it bit off her hands.. and was seen later.. sitting there eating her hands..

to quote HW Bush... "The time has come... to start a fire in the minds of men!"

KEEP your eye on lyme stories...
and remember.. the American Medical Association has LIMITED the testing methods in such a way that it is RARELY diagnosed and treated properly.

DON'T believe me?? its of epidemic proportions..
watch this trailer for this new film on Lyme disease...
www.underourskin.com...

-

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Sounds to me like the cop did what he gets paid to do.

Chimps are almost as dangerous as humans.

As a child I would have thought it cool to have such a pet, but as an adult I find people who would have such a pet selfish and disgusting. I have to ask who does it benefit having a Chimpanzee as a pet or companion? It shows they have little or no respect for the earth or its creatures.

It's one thing to study them in the wild or at least in a more natural setting for study, but keeping them as a domestic pet is wrong.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge
natives getting restless now...
mutiny in the air!
got some death to do!

-

Ahh Welcome Hominidae, to the Sanitarium off the album Master of Primates.

oO

I think it's a difficult case this... The chimp was on xanax? For anxiety? You see your pet chimp acting out and going nuts, so instead of thinking "Hey, this treating the chimp like a child, and making it confused and bewildered about itself isn't really working out, I'd best give it to people who can look after it and possibly rehabilitate it back into an environment it is used to!" they go "Aww poor little bubby, here eat some human pills.. They make humans go crraazzzyyy, but you'll be ok sweetums.."

Morons who own it should be charged with neglect and foot the cost of the victims medical bills.

The officer had no choice from what I've read. Makes it tragic in my opinion.

had to laugh at the "Chimps gone wild" so shoot it line. Now if we can only get that sort of mentality going on with those pathetic "Girls gone wild" lunatics.. Or at least the retards who think putting it on tv adverts every 15 mins after midnight is a good thing... makes me ashamed to have insomnia, being awake with people who make those things profitable.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
This morning I heard the 911 call on the news.

She was hysterical while the animal mauled her friend screaming "hurry, hurry you have to shoot him" edit to add, 12 minutes later the cops showed up.

Now, I cant fathom a reason not to have a gun in the house. A gun in the house is like a seat belt in a car. It boggles the mind that a person would harbor a wild animal and not keep a gun on you whenever around the animal let alone in the house anywhere at all.

It's like allowing a psychotic mass murderer to hang out on the couch without restraints or some way to put him down should he go nuts.

I guess this has its roots in people not understanding or simply forgetting the animal is wild. Putting a diaper and a hat on a monkey doesnt suddenly erase generations and generations of instinctual learning and behavior.

[edit on 18-2-2009 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
As an American I can own and carry firearms. If I ever see a chimp running loose I'm busting a cap in it's ass. You must fight to live on the Planet of the Apes.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
The attack happened because the woman who normally wears her hair down, had her hair pulled up and the chimp didn't recognize her. The chimp being a territorial animal, attacked the woman.

That's all conjecture.
No one really knows for sure why the chimp attacked her.
The very fact that that the chimp also tried to attack the police officer is reason to conclude that there was more to it than a mere change of hairstyle.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I guess the cop saves his taser for humans only. It seems like thye always resort to deadly force on animals; maybe it has something to do with an incident they had as a child.

reply to post by Harlequin

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by sos37

sos37...may I expound on that concept you raised??

Because, it gave me an insight. Is the capacity to decide to sacrifice oneself, for another, a sign of self-awareness....or is it instinct?

Factoring out the obvious 'Mother Bear' protecting her cubs scenario....is it purely Human to be able to make that decision...not for a 'cub', or a child, or even a loved one....but simply as a strategy...."The needs of the Many Outweigh the Needs of the One" concept?

Hate to impose a quote from 'Star Trek', but it popped into my mind as pertinent. Is there any other species on our Planet that would be able to reason in such a way???

EDIT....I see you're offline...well, anyone can chime in!!!

[edit on 2/17/0909 by weedwhacker]

That's a good question. A few years ago I wouldn't have been able to answer but now that I'm a father, I think self sacrifice is in the realm of instinct. If I saw my daughter in danger it seems like an instinct to me that I would naturally put myself in between whatever danger existed and her. I would do that without even thinking. Well, I believe I would. You hear about stories of people who have said "I didn't think, I just ..." pushed them out of the way, got the in the way of the whatever it was, etc.

I was thinking along the lines of "Why am I here" for self-awareness because it involves higher thought. Maybe even a concept of time.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
There are only about 32 or so states that have laws against owning wild animals. This should be a nationwide law. They are not supposed to be imprisoned and forced to act human. They are chimps!!!!!!!!! I hate when people try to humanize animals instead of nurturing their natural instincts. I also think that the non-prescribed xanax and the Lyme disease played a major role here too. Not to mention that the chimp was going through puberty. People can be so stupid and irresponsible. They only want to satisfy their needs instead the needs of the animals.
I heard where a man rescued an animal from death, and he said that it felt so good like he had just rescued a child. I believe that he felt this way because they are creatures of God also, they have souls!!! Anyone that does not care about animals scares me because they are obviously in enlightened.
God Bless Travis, may he rest in peace being finally free of that lunatic woman. She should be responsible for all medical and legal costs for what she has caused to happened. It is her fault and her fault alone!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
The monkey took the car keys, unlocked the house, and went to the car. The owner called her friend because she is in her late 70s and can't chase after him. The friend had just gotten a haircut which is the reason to why the monkey attacked her. When the cop shot the monkey it was because he was under attack and its difficult to tell the animal stop. When the monkey was shot, he retreated home and went to his cage where he slept and died there.
Although its a "scary" story, it has a sad but happy ending.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I personally think it goes beyond "chimps are dangerous wild animals" and into the "chimps are intelligent wild animals who have their own desires" realm of discussion.

Keeping intelligent wild creatures as pets, and subjugating their needs, wants, desires, etc., to a humans is always detrimental to the intelligent wild animal. Whether that animal has the ability to harm you or not. This was a male chimpanzee, at 15 he was at the age where he would have come into his own in terms of fighting for dominance and sexual partners in his group, being kept in a highly unnatural state. A perpetual childhood. Imagine a mother that forced her human son into perpetual childhood, and prevented him from pursuing adult male activities. One would assume that in a naturally dominant individual, there would eventually be some violent rebellion against her. Perhaps not to the degree of biting off someones hands, but hey, some humans kill their parents too. It was probably displaced aggression, with the female friend of the family taking the full brunt of the animals frustration and anger at its owners restricting it and forcing it against its own nature.

But I feel bad even for highly intelligent animals kept as pets who are incapable of this level of violence against their owners. Parrots for instance. I have seen more miserable and neurotic parrots kept in cages for the amusement of humans. These creatures are believed to have the intelligence of a young child much like chimps do. They sit in their cages pulling out and tearing up their own feathers bored out of their ever living minds into a form of insanity.

Intelligent animals have their own ends, their own wants, and they do not exist just to please other animals. Even if those other animals are self centered humans.

In a sense, I am glad poor Travis was put down, because had he been tranquilized, the only thing left for him would have been to lock him up and restrict his freedom even more. Which would have made for an even more miserable existence for a creature who had had an enriched environment.

www.janegoodall.ca...

* Giving Them Up: The day will come when despite all best efforts the chimpanzee must go. Sadly, they cannot be sent back to Africa and most zoos will not take ex-pets. Tragically, many ex-pet chimps end up in medical research laboratories. Because former owners are asked not to visit, they never realise the horrendous conditions to which they have condemned their friend.

Bottom line, if you think keeping children in cages is unnatural and detrimental to the childs sanity, dont seek out a pet with the intelligence of a young child. Domesticated pets, cats and dogs, have their own intelligence and some may have the intelligence of small children as well, but thousands of years of domestication has occurred and for the most part, they are not unhappy living with us, on our terms as long as we make reasonable effort to enrich their lives. (Though I have known some cats in my life that certainly vetoed the whole pet thing as well)

[edit on 18-2-2009 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
A one year old chimp is as strong or stronger than two human men in good shape. This chimp was 200+ lbs and was an extremely strong animal. Theres no way to wrangle an animal like that if it does not want to be handled without using some type of drug. Zanax in the past had rendered him docile. This time it did not work. Lyme disease might be the culprit here, but frustration and being ill also played a hand here!

Zindo

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join