It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does that Star Spangled Banner yet wave?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I had an interesting and random thought and wanted to run it by you guys. Putting aside all of the "the moon landing was a hoax" type things lets consider something.

I see on a regular basis people asking why we can't see the flag on the moon with telescopes. My question is this, how do we know the flag is still standing? Its been just shy of 40 years since the flag was planted on the lunar surface. Think of the U.V. damage not to mention the temperature extremes.

Anybody have any thoughts on this theory?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Wow almost 24 hours later and no response

I figured somebody would have 2 cents to toss in.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by zombiemann

Ok.
There are no telescopes, ground or space-based, capable of resolving any of the objects left behind on the moon. That said:
The flags were made of nylon which is highly susceptible to degradation by UV radiation. It can be somewhat protected by various means of manufacture and coating but after 40 years of 14 day "days" of unfiltered solar UV radiation, I doubt there is much left. It will be a poignant sight when the first of the Apollo LZ's is again visited (which ever one of the 6 it may be).
ston.jsc.nasa.gov...

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by zombiemann

Honestly, I'd never given that aspect of the moonlanding any thought at all. Given how materials of that sort degrade and fade due to sunlight exposure here on Earth, I can't imagine those flags faired well at all, with no shielding whatsoever.

top topics

join