It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan Makes a Taliban Truce, Creating a Haven

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Sooner or later we will be putting boots on the ground in Pakistan.

Hopefully sooner.

Things could get out of hand quickly if we don't get moving. By then it could be too late.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
The downside to going into Pakistan will be the problem it causes here in the UK, in my town alone 20% of the population is of Pakistani decent and if we do invade there will be blood on the streets, this area is already infultrated by the militants (two of the liquid bombers came from here)

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

Why isn't your government stomping them flat?
That just seems outrageous.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by solidshot
The downside to going into Pakistan will be the problem it causes here in the UK, in my town alone 20% of the population is of Pakistani decent and if we do invade there will be blood on the streets, this area is already infultrated by the militants (two of the liquid bombers came from here)

But this could be exactly what the forces that be want.... Allow a little trouble, call in the police riot squads when things get nasty, declare a state of emergency, enforce draconian law and start impounding the immigrants into camps, all fully hyped up by the media.

Scenes from 'Children of men' spring to mind.

People do seem to think that the other 80% of Britain will sat back and do nothing when the SHTF, but i doubt it. I think maybe popularity will grow of for far-right political parties like the BNP.

Either way it's adreadful thought and i don't know what i fear more.

Backward Radical muslims, a full enforced police state or a country suddenly swayed to the far right.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Hell with the government. Why haven't you the people taken back your streets?

Hell, challenge them to a soccer game and let the fists fly.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Interesting snippet if nobody checked out the link
Sorry linky

CIA Predators Strike from Pakistan

As the United States ramps-up regional military operations, U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), the chairwoman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, dropped a bombshell when she revealed that CIA Predator drones are flown from an airbase in Pakistan, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Expressing surprise at Pakistan's opposition to missile strikes launched in that country's borderlands with Afghanistan, Feinstein said "As I understand it, these are flown out of a Pakistani base."

If true, this latest revelation will only serve to destabilize the civilian government of Pakistan Peoples Party President Asif Ali Zardari.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Nobody seems to have anything to say other than tough talk about killing Pakistanis and Afghans.
Does anyone know why we are there? All the reasons previously spouted by our governments can, I think, safely be ignored as nothing more than bluster and grandstanding. What are we there for? It's a simple question, surely the answer can't be too complicated, can it?

As far as I can see we have only made things even worse in this region since we financed and armed what was to become the Taliban to fight the Soviets. This seems to be a repeated theme across the world though. Create the enemy that you will someday persuade the peopel you have to deal with.

I don't see hordes of Taliban appearing over the horizon as I sit at home sipping a cuppa, waving their long knives in the air and baying for the beheading of my neighbours for being infidel unbelievers. In short, they are not really high on my list of threats, especially without an Air force, Navy or even a mechanised army to get here.

The longer we remain, the worse it'll get and the more anti-western feeling we create with the weekly missile attacks that always kill innocents as well as the claimed insurgents. Maybe I'm wrong but I see all this as nothing more than deliberate agitation to escalate conflict.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
In short, they are not really high on my list of threats, especially without an Air force, Navy or even a mechanised army to get here.

With Pakistan, they won't need any of those.

They'll have nuclear weapons.

That's pretty high on my list of threats.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by nyk537]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Well it seems some out there agree with your view on this topic.
Check this link out
US military gets the squeeze in Central Asia

Kyrgyzstan has slapped the US military with a dishonorable discharge from the Manas Air Base, throwing a monkey wrench into US President Barack Obama’s plans to bolster troop strength in Afghanistan just as the Taliban is showing a startling resurgence. Now, Washington will be forced to go shopping for other real estate opportunities across Central Asia. But the options are limited.

Kyrgyzstan President Kurmanbek Bakiyev made the announcement about the base closure during a joint press conference with Russian President Dmitry Medvedev on February 3.

Bakiyev said he was ejecting US forces after repeated requests for increased rent payment went ignored. Washington pays $65 million annually for the Manas Air Base, while injecting another $150 million through economic incentives.

Although Russia denies it exerted any behind-the scenes influence on the decision, it certainly made the Kyrgyzstan’s loss of Washington’s rent money a lot easier to accept: Bakiyev returned home with a massive loan package worth more than $2 billion, almost the equivalent of the landlocked nation’s total debt.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

They'll have nuclear weapons.

That's pretty high on my list of threats.

They wont even need to have missiles they can dismantle a war head and hide it in a cargo container and ship it across those oceans as a Toyota

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Why isn't your government stomping them flat?
That just seems outrageous.

Because this lousy government we have has made it so that if you even criticise the lvl of immigration if this country you are automatically a racist, this government is more interested in appeasement rather than confronting them

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Sounds similar to the America I picture under Obama.

We're on our way to appeasement right now.

God help us.....

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

Sounds similar to the America I picture under Obama.

We're on our way to appeasement right now.

God help us.....

Yup, i do have to agree that Obama seems to be America's Tony Blair, someone who will destroy everything your country ever stood for, and all national pride just so he can have his own politically correct superstate, hopefully he won't be able to cling onto power for two full terms otherwise you will be in a situation similar to us in the UK where the last generation of schoolchildren have been raised in a world where they are lectured about not even doing simple thing's like climbing tree's or playing conkers because of health and safety and where they have to watch the job's of their parents going to immigrants because they will work for a lower wage.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by 44soulslayer

They must realize that this area will become a massive target for future military action?
Either way this is not good. I understand the impossible political situation Pakistan is going through but this just painted a giant bulls eye on the area.

They realise entirely. They know the consequences, but they simply don't care. The Pakistanis have never been geniuses when it comes to thinking about the consequences of their actions; and to top it off they have a superiority complex about their supposed martial race lineage.

Every time they try something major against India, they get their arses handed to them. The only way they can inflict damage is terrorism, which is why they are embracing the Taliban.

Ask any Pakistani... they support the Taliban as their muslim brothers; this exchange of "peace" for sharia law was a mere theatrical performance so that they could claim "oh we didnt want to ally with the taliban, but we had to in order to ensure peace in the region".

Ideologically they are two heads of the same snake; one that must be slain post-haste.

(Take whatever I say with a pinch of salt... Im Indian and thus have very little tolerance or respect for Pakistan)

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Many of these people in the Middle East are never gona allow their countries to come out of the "stone age." I think this may be a "break" in the fighting so everyone can rest. They must be so tired, they have been fighting for 2000 years.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   

I'm afraid I suffer in the same way, although a well welded snow plough to my car should sort things out. Seriously though the Asians are so violent, maybe them and the chavs can wipe themselves out if it all kicks off. Did anyone watch the documentary on panorama last night??? I didn't think they anti-Israeli marches got so violent.... kept very quiet in the media... religion of peace and all, you can watch it here

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Why do people of your kind keep on speaking of the past? All you do is blame every problem in the Middle East on the United States funding wars. Why don't you look on the bright side of fighting for freedom and democracy. And don't give me another excuse saying Afghanistan and Iraq being peaceful before we came in there in 2001 and 2003. Why don't you work with the present and move on from there. Instead of just compaining why don't you work to fix the problem and support the troops, or you can just put your head up your liberal a** and out Texan national guard will come and take care of you.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by PammyK
Many of these people in the Middle East are never gona allow their countries to come out of the "stone age." I think this may be a "break" in the fighting so everyone can rest. They must be so tired, they have been fighting for 2000 years.

The reason they're in the stone ages is their mentality to follow religion, which also unfortunately means following mans judgment of the scriptures and violence, remember the days in Europe when scientists feared releasing their theories as they would be seen as heretics?? If they want to live their lives around religion let them suffer the consequences, I myself hate the way our government allows their religion to affect us all.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
So..

They will stop killing eachother..
BUT will be allowed to sit and plan an attack on U.S without any intervention?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by xbranscombex
So..

They will stop killing eachother..
BUT will be allowed to sit and plan an attack on U.S without any intervention?

As well as the UK and Canadian troops that are just over the border in Afghanistan (the German and french troops are tucked up safely in their bases)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join