It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RED ALERT: FX Dislocation In Process

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by mahtoosacks

Well dang...you'll be king of the future TP market then...this is a good thing, as you can trade a few bundles for a can of tuna...

Edit: So we should see more turmoil in the market as the week goes on due to expiring contracts at the end of the week?

Their talking over each other at CNBC again...

[edit on 2/17/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by shrike071

The rise in gas prices and a drop in oil bugs me as well. I heard this excuse the other day on the news.

The price of gas is indeed tied to oil. It's just a matter of which oil. The benchmark for crude oil prices is West Texas Intermediate, drilled exactly where you would imagine. That's the price, set at the New York Mercantile Exchange, that you see quoted on business channels and in the morning paper. Right now, in an unusual market trend, West Texas crude is selling for much less than inferior grades of crude from other places around the world. A severe economic downturn has left U.S. storage facilities brimming with it, sending prices for the premium crude to five-year lows. But it is the overseas crude that goes into most of the gas made in the United States. So prices at the pump will probably keep going up no matter what happens to the benchmark price of crude oil.

Crude Oil Dips, But Pump Prices Inch Higher

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by mahtoosacks
im just not sure if i should hop on the badwagon and buy more gold or wait a day for the price to retrace to a little more comfortable position

I was wondering the same thing this morning. I had a little extra money that I was going to put into gold about 2 weeks ago but decided to hold onto the greenbacks in my account because I have an issue with my apartment and may need the money to get a new place... anyway, that whole thing is up in the air still so I am holding my cash but hopefully by the time gold retracts a bit I will have the apartment issue resolved so I can pick up a little more.

I expect it to fall a little before the week is out (or maybe next week) but that will be temporary because I think $1000+ once summer hits is not unreasonable. I was actually hoping the USD spike would plummet gold a bit so I could pick some up at a steal. Maybe that will happen in the next day or two...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
just got sell signals on gbpusd and eurusd (which is good for dollar bad for them) and buy on yen (which is also good for us)

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Here is how this will unfold. Watch the price of silver since the new currency, the Amero, will be silver backed, rather than gold backed. Gold is the distraction while silver continues to rise. When silver is $50 per ounce, Obama will announce the new currency which will be based on 50 Ameros for one ounce of silver. Everyone will think, "50 Ameros is equal to $50 so that's cool." The new currency will take effect January 1, 2010. After the announcement, silver will sky rocket to $1000 per ounce. Everyone will have their eye on silver, rather than the U.S. dollars they hold in their stocks, pensions and debt. On January 1, 2010, they will see their debt shrink by 20 times while their wages and savings will also shrink by 20 times. Prices will be in Ameros so they too will be at 1/20th. The indebted, especially the government, will be much better off. The savers, all 23 of them in the continental U.S., will lose big time.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

through the course of a trading day, sure. but when the close hits, you end up with very small overall movement - you know this.

for the most part a pip = .0001 cents or units

Most days from open to close, while there is a lot of juggle in between, you don't end up with MASSIVE moves like we saw last night.

1000 pips is a change of .1 cent or unit. We saw moves of 100,000 pips in MANY currencies last night.

You should have made a fortune.

In a "Normal" market, from open value to close value you mostly see very small changes.

So tell me again, the drop of over 1% on a massive amount of multiple currencies is "Normal"?

link   
reply to post by nydsdan

i had heard some rumors that gold prices would fall in an "attempt" to level the prices, but that by doing so would make it skyrocket afterwards.

i would hope it comes back to 930 or 915 and then i can get my little 10gram for this 2 week.

im treating buying gold and silver like a bill now.

i cant find my 10oz bars at apmex.com anymore

link   
[quote
Number one, that link is a month old.
Number two, that just states that they are running or not.
It does give production numbers, but not a percent of what is capable.

Deny Ignorance.

Please take some of your own advice, and deny ignorance:
LINK

Look at the chart. Of particular interest is the line "Finished Motor Gasoline/Reformulated" which is what we all use. Notice how it has increased.

There is no supply shortage. There is no refinery shortage. The refineries are running at less than 82% capacity.

Let's get back on-topic.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by shrike071]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

its doesnt move than come right back to where it started... especially not within 5 pips, unless its maybe ranging.

and yea a pip is 100th a penny (some brokerages offer micro pip like fxcm and nano pip like oanda). and ya who cares how many percents it wants to move, it will do what it does, and doesnt do anything based on what it should (which is what makes it so much better than stocks)

and just because it has never done anything like that doesnt mean it cant. you cant control it... not even central banks can truely control it. PRICE ACTION controls all... as i always say.. the market giveth and the market taketh

oh and i just noticed... the forex market is 24 hrs 5.5 days a week... it dont close at night. sunday at 5 to friday at 4 its walmart

which walmart did great i read somewhere lol

[edit on 17-2-2009 by mahtoosacks]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
If you didn't see this coming, there's something seriously wrong with you. THIS is the reason you don't invest in "precious metals" as some of those ill-informed libertarians/ conservatives will have you believe.

Sure, gold is currently at 975$/ounce... but do you REALLY believe the PTB want to anger the masses "stuck" with the dollar and no gold? Demand for metals has increased purely from fear-mongering by certain right-wing talk radio shows. However, once those people that urged you to "invest in gold" begin to sell theirs... you'll see this gold bubble burst faster then you can say "yee-haw." Besides, what guarantee is there against "gold confiscation" seen in the Great Depression? Consider, would you rather confiscate gold from a couple of rednecks or have 90%+ of the US population rioting in the streets. As of now, the Euro has lost value and nearing .80 cents to a dollar.

Just remember, the more those people scare you into buying gold - the higher the demand - the higher the price - and then, they sell

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by mahtoosacks
reply to post by nydsdan

i had heard some rumors that gold prices would fall in an "attempt" to level the prices, but that by doing so would make it skyrocket afterwards.

i would hope it comes back to 930 or 915 and then i can get my little 10gram for this 2 week.

im treating buying gold and silver like a bill now.

i cant find my 10oz bars at apmex.com anymore

I've been hearing the same rumors but have nothing to back them up. I, too, hope for that last fall before the spike. I stopped 401k a few month ago when my employer stopped matching and now buy 1/4oz eagles a few times a month instead. Odd that the 10oz bars are drying up. Well, not really that odd if you think about it.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by IlluminatiKarate
If you didn't see this coming, there's something seriously wrong with you. THIS is the reason you don't invest in "precious metals" as some of those ill-informed libertarians/ conservatives will have you believe.

Gold is used as a HEDGE against inflation. People who don't understand that, shouldn't be investing.

Anyone who IS buying gold... Buy PHYSICAL gold, not "gold on paper"

it's never a bad thing to have a bit of gold and silver tucked away, but in the end, you can't eat it

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

yea i was kinda bummed.

i read warren buffet bought 129 million oz of ag when it was $4/oz.that was more than all of india's stockpile. it went up to $7/oz right after

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Please take some of your own advice, and deny ignorance:
LINK

Look at the chart. Of particular interest is the line "Finished Motor Gasoline/Reformulated" which is what we all use. Notice how it has increased.

There is no supply shortage. There is no refinery shortage. The refineries are running at less than 82% capacity.

Let's get back on-topic.

2009-Jan 01/02 9,115 01/09 8,813 01/16 8,729 01/23 8,660 01/30 8,679

9115 to 8679

I guess that's an increase if you read right to left.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

yeah no joke.... stay out of the markets and especially dont act like you have investor knowledge. ESPECIALLY if you dont even know the difference between investing and trading.

when these go up it is BAD for the dollar ( GOLD, SILVER, OIL, EURO, POUNDS STERLING, or anything where the dollar isnt the base) ps the base is the first name in the front of the pair like GPB/usd or EUR/usd also nzd/usd aud/usd

when these go up is GOOD for the dollar ( the YEN, the CHF, and the CAD lol i think thats it... theres a few other pairs but who cares about them cus they arent majors) cus the dollar is the base in these ---- USD/jpy or USD/cad

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty
it's never a bad thing to have a bit of gold and silver tucked away, but in the end, you can't eat it

EXACTLY. Which is why right now the time to buy gold has already passed, for now. We're talking about getting your necessities in line now.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
[quote
I guess that's an increase if you read right to left.

Look at the column I mentioned - "Reformulated" - which is what we all run in our cars (diesel not included...)

/end OT

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Russia 552.03 -57.28 -9.40% 02/17
Czech 651.50 -47.50 -6.79% 17:40
Austria 1480.05 -139.57 -8.62% 17:36
Sweden 647.84 -33.77 -4.96% 17:44

Looks like someones getting ready to default over there...their markets are closing now so we'll have to wait till tomorrow now...

Edit: Austria & Sweden are the ones who put upto 70% of their GDP into them..

great now Stanford Investment is the Newest Madeoff...see...all crooks...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   

There are good and bad aspect to both a strong and weak dollar.

It is always batter to have stability, where ever the point is.

The dollar became much stronger last night, and as far as I know, we still have no news as to what the real catalyst for the sell off of currencies was.

I always feel better when I know the reason for a move, especially HUGE moves. It helps to design my playbook, ya know?

FX traders have some HUGE stones
While I watch it, because it does affect the futures and stocks, I am mostly a stock day trader. And even in this decline, I have made some nice coin.

To have the quick devaluation of so many Asian and East European currencies like we had last night is NOT the sign of good things to come.

If you can see a silver lining (besides personal profit
) please tell us, my nerves could use it

or maybe I need to just stop drinking the coffee

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Hey...leave my coffee out of this...I'm doin' my part to keep Juan Valdez & Sons in business...

Brazil 39925.06 -1916.26 -4.58% 14:59

Drink more Coffee!!!

Edit: How is the Real holdin' up?

USD-BRL 2.3186 0.0446 1.96% 12:08

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join