It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RED ALERT: FX Dislocation In Process

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by poling2482
I dont understand how the fall of oil has not translated into lower gas prices.

The reason is quite simple: When gas was $5/gal, the individual station owners were barely making a penny on the fuel because their costs were through the roof as well. When oil jumped up many times over the course of a day, then they had to price the gas in their tanks according to a projected increase in what they were charged to re-fill them. Often, those projections were low because nobody expected the price to go up as fast, and as often as it did.

Now that oil is low - the stations are simply taking their profits. They saw that the average driver was completely willing to pay $2/gal so that's where they set their price-point.

On another note - the reason oil is down and gold is up is because oil is traded in dollars. If the dollar is stronger, oil will be cheaper.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by seb118

Refiners cut back on production...plus it's a "Down Time" for maintainace...right...sure...ok...can you say Gouge????

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by mahtoosacks

No need for name calling.
The person was just asking for links or proof.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by poling2482

Yeah that sucks don't it?

That is correct. The reason the gas is going up, is because the greedy bastards slowed down the refineries to raise the price of gas.

They do not want to play by the supply and demand game anymore. They think that after they where getting massive profits when wall street bastards screwed with it last year, that they need that all the time.

It's all a big scam.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963
reply to post by seb118

Refiners cut back on production...plus it's a "Down Time" for maintainace...right...sure...ok...can you say Gouge????

yes gouge if you wish. Other call it "optimizing their performance".

I call it predation.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by seb118]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by shrike071

That is mostly wrong. I'll have to dig, but there were stories yesterday about shortages of gas, due to reduced production on the purpose of raising the gas price, because they can't make as much as they want on crude.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Golds shooting up again.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
im just not sure if i should hop on the badwagon and buy more gold or wait a day for the price to retrace to a little more comfortable position

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Good Morning, Hell of a day so far eh folks?

Hunka, Karl locks down the forum to non subscribers on high action/volume trading days. Nothing strange there.

So our markets are reacting, then throw into the mix that this is OPEX week. Gonna be interesting - what's that Chinese curse?

You guys have done a FABULOUS JOB while I got some sleep, thanks!

Those Eastern Europe countries are running out of clean underwear about now, we may see the repercussions of last night's FX action before the end of the week.

That's SCARY!

Let's pray we don't have a domino effect of collapsing countries. We don't need Europe going the way of Iceland.

Reading through what I missed, it is so amazing. Last SUMMER if the Dow dropped almost 300 points people would be freaking out. The S&P is down close to 4% another cause for freaking out just a few months ago, but we become desensitized so quickly now.

To those who are thinking this is no big deal, just how many times do you think we can continue to see drops like this before we realize that this is NEVER a good thing.

You know those cereals on the shelf in the grocery - the grains used to make them are EXPORTED from here to other countries for manufacturing.

A strong dollar will hurt exports, Helps imports, but if they don't get the raw materials from us, what are they going to produce? You can't EAT a $30 DVD player!!!

Plus...

Most U.S. companies that sell goods overseas _ whether it be food, makeup, equipment or clothing _ translate their sales abroad from foreign currencies into dollars when they report their financial results. If the dollar is stronger than those currencies, the translation results in fewer dollars in revenue.

A strengthening dollar also decreases the buying power of overseas consumers since their money is worth fewer dollars. That can affect companies' underlying sales and lead to declining profit.

Source

When you lose money sending goods to the US, why do it? You won't stay in business if you don't make a profit!

looks like we are going to test the low of the day again

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by BooBetty

Currency/FX is not traded on the stock exchange, it's a different market, it's a market that is HUGE compared to the stock markets and its open 24/7. So you're wrong i guess. However i sure dont hope the FED is so idiotic that they create dollars so they can buy/support the dollar, thus inflating the currency beoynd repair. The balance sheet of the FED is ridiculous at the moment, money supply has surged beyond anything, its exponential.

See for yourself:
research.stlouisfed.org...

The US is careless with their money, besides the actual cost for the Iraq war (~600 billion dollars) some 50 billion US dollars are lost due to corruption, no one knows what happened with the money (meant to help rebuild, local efforts) and surprise, no one kept books, Thats money that the US gvnmt just tossed in there, saw a documentary where they shipped in containers filled with fresh printed dollar bills. Some high ranking army personnel are multi millionaires today i guess.

[edit on 2009/2/17 by reugen]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by seb118

Ok...predation...predatory...you say tomato...I say tomoto...
Guess the little gas station guy should get a chance to get even before a horse and buggy pulls up for TP...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
gas prices news

Here is one of the stories.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by j2000

That is mostly wrong. I'll have to dig, but there were stories yesterday about shortages of gas, due to reduced production on the purpose of raising the gas price, because they can't make as much as they want on crude.

There is shortage of gas ( so the price remains high) in the EU because oil giants find it "more convenient" to speculate on pure importation of crude than refining crude . Refining crude oil costs you know...

I would not see why the same kind of predators would not behave the same way in the US.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Sorry - before you call someone out, make sure you know what you're talking about. All but 4 US refineries are running full-tilt, and those only account for a fraction of total output. There are some others running at reduced capacity, but overall - the refiniery capabilities are near capacity.

LINK

link   

Originally posted by mahtoosacks
look it up yourself, and if you actually knew anything about forex then you would know how funny this thread is...

Are you actually trying to convince people that moves of OVER 1% on the FX are NORMAL??

Take another hit on that bong dude!

1-5 pips MIGHT be in the normal range

1% is HUGE

Who's the TARD?

link   
reply to post by Power_Semi

Dang...$972...watch em run!!!!
2nd
3rd

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Since I am not all that savvy with stocks (If I were, I'd be rich!
), is there a site someone can point to that clearly shows the mass purchase of U.S. currency?

I'd just like to see the bottom-line proof before I /chickenlittle.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by reugen
reply to post by BooBetty

Currency/FX is not traded on the stock exchange, it's a different market, it's a market that is HUGE compared to the stock markets and its open 24/7. So you're wrong i guess. However i sure dont hope the FED is so idiotic that they create dollars so they can buy/support the dollar, thus inflating the currency beoynd repair. The balance sheet of the FED is ridiculous at the moment, money supply has surged beyond anything, its exponential.

See for yourself:
research.stlouisfed.org...

Christ - that chart is bad. That alone should show people how bad a mess we're all in.

It's exponential until the big jump - which is bad enough for the future - but that sudden spike goes way beyond exponential.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by Power_Semi]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

5 pips???????? LMAO LMAO LMAO

its moves about 5 pips every 3 seconds lol

ive made 1000pip profits in 1 day not including the total movement.

have you even ever traded forex????

so does that mean you are???? (no i know you arent but still)

i set my stoploss based on market volatility (based loosely on turtle trading rules) 2n stoploss where n is the average true range of 20 periods (hourly)

so my stops can be anywhere between 40 and 180 pips and i could get stopped out in 10 minutes if its really moving against what i thought it would do.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by mahtoosacks]

[edit on 17-2-2009 by mahtoosacks]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Number one, that link is a month old.
Number two, that just states that they are running or not.
It does give production numbers, but not a percent of what is capable.

Deny Ignorance.

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join