It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ministers 'using fear of terror'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by alienj
reply to post by kiwifoot

Mainstream BBC, more like leftstream BBC, and why is it so scary to criticize the United States... people do it everyday and there are no secret prisons they are dragged off too. Talk about hyping the fear, your whole post is about hype.. Why does the world drink so much kool'aid. I will go out on a limb and make a prediction. In a years time everyone, Mexico, Britian, France, Spain will be sucking back up to the big ole bad USA, because we will be the only ones that will be able to get a grip on this depression and be able to extend aid. BTW The mi5 agent you are referring too, was so disgusted that she left, it was more like she was showed the door, and it was Clintons Administration she has problems with.

Hm...I think maybe you got out of bed on the wrong side bud....this post was about drawing attention to the errosion of civil liberties under false pretexts.

It was about an establishment figure coming out and drawing attention to this. Which is brave.

Nothing to do with US bashing.

And dude...just for the record..if you think that the US (with its multi trillion dollar national debt owned by China) will be the saviour of the worlds' finances in decline then you are quite mistaken. Just like the US took the lead on the so called War On Terror...yeah...awsome... we all know how that one went!

Oh and she's comenting on civil liberties NOW...not under Clinton.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Attackhoe
interesting to see how long it will be before she commits suicide...?

2 line attack
That won't happen. It's not as if she's blown big holes in the 40 minutes WMD argument or even offered personal services to Dick Cheney.

Nah, she'll just be side-lined and ignored. Probably has too many 'friends' to suicide.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
MI5 has to support the government of the day regardless of who is in power unless of course the Queen becomes most displeased with the course of action the government takes.

Full credit to Dame Stella Rimington, she absolutely hit the nail on the head! Never trust a fear mongering politician!

What use is an ID card in preventing a suicide bomber?

What use are the millions of cameras around the UK until after an incident takes place?

What good will registering your passport do when buying a mobile phone except to make it perfectly clear that big brother is watching you?

Why is the police force given more power and less training on the finer points of the ever expanding list of laws that NuLabour have introduced?

The mantra of NuLabour has been that you can protest all you want (after all its a free country), but im going to do it my way anyway!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
This has not and will not be covered on the bbc televised news broadcast.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Great news...

Glad its mainstream also. This takes guts.

As the disclosure continues we are nearer the new world order that we once thought may be proposterious, they are revealing their dark eyes under the pretty blue because their is nets closing on them and they are happy to tell us all we have been lied to because they have neared their plan of total domnation. So, for the reason of all types of dislcosure is because they believe they have power over majoirty of man kind

[edit on 17-2-2009 by deathpoet69]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by St0mP121

Why would this have anything to do with Obama? This is about a member of MI5, a British intelligence agency. Really, why can’t some people look beyond their own boarders?

Anyway, I don’t see why people are so giddy about this being reported by the BBC. The media has been reporting things like this for ages, a week hardly goes by when the ID proposals aren’t condemned on Question Time, the whole DNA database debate was in the papers for ages and all the other database proposals (travel, phone etc) are routinely reported and condemned by the media. Same thing with the political system, outside of the hardcore Labour supporters it’s hard to find anyone who agrees with what the government has been doing. The Lords for example have recently produced a report blasting the surveillance culture in the UK. The public, in my experience, have also been pretty aware and against these practices for a long time as well. The problem is Labour have made a secretive and arrogant government and it’s taken time for things to come to light and/or fall apart; now that they know they’re probably out next election there is little incentive to please the electorate.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
The article makes the excellent point that FEAR is being used to erode civil liberties - I have been saying for some time that a fearfull populace is an easily controlled populace, and I believe that it has been a concerted attempt by this government.

Fear of "terror" attacks, leading to loss of civil liberties.

Fear of AGW/Climate Change, leading to more taxation.

Fear of crime, leading to new laws, greater police powers and less freedoms.

fear of credit crunch, leading to people doing whatever the government says they should.

One of my favorite all time quotes comes from Herman Guerring.

Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the cuontry to greater danger.

Spoken by one of Hitlers main propaganda merchants. It's the same pattern with the war on terror. It may have started off with noble intentions but the wrong people got into power and realised that a scared populous will summit their freedoms to feel safe and so are more easily controlled and silenced.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I will forever remember the famous speach from a certain ex-leader who claimed that Saddam had to power to attack within 45 minutes with WMD's

Either that was a flat out lie or an just an extreme perversion of the truth, what is certain is that it was a clear cut example of fear mongering politics to gain public approval of UK's involvement in the invasion of Iraq.

A government that rules on fear and uncertancy does not operate on stable ground.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by freeradical]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Too little, too late.

I agree about the mistakes made by the US, but the encroachment on civil liberties in the UK has gone far beyond any dreams of population control that our US masters could have wished for.

You just have to wonder how far the British have to be pushed before they will revolt (if ever).

Four million in that DNA database and growing, and what about all those cameras, it seems like you're permanently under surveillance when you're over there, and now the ID cards proposal. It's some scary stuff over there.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

"I have enormous respect for the work and experience of Dame Stella Rimington but I think on this she is totally and utterly wrong.

Employment minister Tony McNulty
www.telegraph.c o.uk

This folks sums up the position of the government thats in charge of running the UK right now. How can a government minister claim to know more about preventing terrorism that the former chief of MI5, I mean really!

[edit on 18-2-2009 by freeradical]

[edit on 18-2-2009 by freeradical]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join