It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aust.Aboriginal Stone constuction.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Excellent work gentlemen thanks for the posts and replies most informative.
More fuel for the fire

thanks

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Hunter and I have been well hunting for more information on this

tech.groups.yahoo.com...

small part:

Eyre, E. (1845) Journals of Expeditions into Central Australia. London: T&W Boone. p260-261.

"Fish are sometimes taken in another way. A party of natives proceed to a
lagoon, or lake of still water, each carrying in his hand a small net
(ken-de-ran-ko) [...] With this the native dives to the bottom, and searches among the weeds until he sees a fish; he then cautiously places the net under it, and, rising suddenly to the surface, holds his victim at arm's length above his head; and then biting it to kill it, he throws it on the
shore and dives down again for another.

"The natives are very skillful in this mode of fishing, and it is an
interesting sight to see several of them in the water diving together [...]
I have even seen natives dive down in the river, without net or implement of any kind, and bring up good-sized fish, which they had caught with their
hands at the bottom.

"Another method of diving with the net is conducted on a larger scale. The
net itself is made of strong twine, from six to eight feet long, oval at the
top, about two feet across, and two deep [...] With this the two natives
dive together under the cliffs which confine the Murray [River], each
holding one end of the bow"

"In the larger rivers, when the waters are low and clear, a party of natives
varying in numbers from five to forty plunge in with their spears, which for
the purpose are made of hard wood, with smooth, sharp points, and about six feet long.

Thanks to Ddeden at the Hall of Maat for this one snippet

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Still looking for corroborative evidence for the dating of the Brewarrina fish traps.In the meantime here is another link that explains the history behind them.

www.environment.gov.au...

Peace.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Cygnus_Hunter

D'oh ran the last scholarly check for documents using the wrong name for the fish traps, did so again and got a number of items, a few listed below

www.irnnsw.org.au...

Link to fish traps
www.springerlink.com...

www.springerlink.com...

PDF file

epress.lib.uts.edu.au...

Fi sh traps

Yet more

[edit on 20/2/09 by Hanslune]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Hi Hans.

Yup,I looked at some of those springer pdf's before.(Still trying to work out if i can link to PDF..)

Thanks for digging around,your contribution to this thread has been greatly appreciated.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Sorry if this a bit off topic but it may be of interest.

It's another example of Aborigine ingenuity in methods of catching fish.

Link

Most Aussies will recognise Les Hiddens here, he spends some time with the Aborigines in Arnhem land.

The part I'm talking about starts around the 8:20 mark.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I thought of the Bushtucker Man as soon as I read this thread. It doesn't seem too far of a stretch from skills he learnt from aborigines to their being organised and static. They taught Les about weaving traps to put across streams and how to catch Yabbies with a hollowed out log (I saw his shows years ago if this is wrong!).

It seems reasonable that humans with that knowledge would be incline to settle near a reliable food source. Although I think eels are seasonal due to migrations, the article mentions indications of preservation by smoking. When she describes walking in and smelling 'smoked eel' it must be something she'll always remember.

It's a great find but I don't think there should be much surprise that humans have 'outsmarted' their environment again.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
ancient chinese structures recently rediscovered in far north queens land serves a positive evedence of pre aboriginal settlement long before black or white settlement .recent revelations of british aristocracy and naval and the queens reresentatives at the time ,1800, decided they would be best removed ,,,but alot still remanes,,undiscovered untill now ,,,and now the real histoy WILL begin many sites have now been logged and many more excavation and scientific evaluations .undisputable evedence has allready been found at several sites scattered though the coastal fring to the outback,,common knowledge up these parts,,even to some of the local tribes ,anyway please go on ,debate all you like ,,,untill the obvious truth whacks you in the face

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
MeatPie !

You,you...Thread killer!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join