It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clinton Says Don't Blame Him for the Economic Crisis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Clinton Says Don't Blame Him for the Economic Crisis

Given the sweep and severity of today's global economic crisis, it would seem there's plenty of blame to go around. But Bill Clinton doesn't think any of it should fall on his shoulders. On Monday morning's Today Show, Ann Curry's interview with the former president - recorded over the weekend outside a Clinton Global Initiative event in Texas - addressed Clinton's inclusion on TIME's list of the "25 People to Blame" for the global economic collapse. "Oh no," he responded, "My question to them is: Do any of them seriously believe if I had been president, and my economic team had been in place the last eight years, that this would be happening today? I think they know the answer to that: No." (See TIME's list of the 25 people to blame for the collapse)

news.yahoo.com...

not much I can say but.

HE"S COMPLETELY INNOCENT!!
LOL

[edit on 16-2-2009 by David9176]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Well, he's wrong!

Part of the problems we are having with the economy, especially the housing crisis, was due to legislation that was implemented on HIS watch!!!

Economists: Gramm To Blame For The Current Crisis

In 1999, Congress passed the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, which abolished “all of the significant rules put in place at the time of the Great Depression designed to prevent a repeat.” Specifically, this act “destroyed the Depression-era barrier to the merger of stockbrokers, banks and insurance companies.”

This WONDER of a piece of legislation was passed while Clinton was "the boss"!

I don't remember, and have NEVER seen any kind of news article or anything that ever sais that Bill Clinton opposed this "ACT"!

He might not want to TAKE the "blame" for our current economic crisis, but part of its roots go back to when he was president.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
If you were ever inclined to believe ol' Bill, just remember the line he told America - "I did NOT have sex with that woman."

I guess that's what the definition of "is" is.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

You know that was a completely republican-backed bill right? Clinton just signed it into office after the republicans were able to get democrats to sign on.

I agree, that puts some blame into his hands, but it was a republican pushed bill.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Bah, there all to blame. Every administration over the last 35 years has had a hand in getting the US to this point. To claim otherwise is naive.

Clinton is just as dirty/guilty as the rest.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
This whole thing started back with the Carter administration and every administration and Congress since then has just added to it.

No one administration is to blame. Carter got the ball rolling and everyone following has either added to it or looked the other way.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Irish M1ck

The vote don't seem like a republican backed bill.

On November 4, the final bill resolving the differences was passed by the Senate 90-8 [6] and by the House 362-57.[7] This legislation was signed into law by Democratic President Bill Clinton on November 12, 1999

en.wikipedia.org...

Bill Clinton words when he signed the bill.

FLASHBACK: President Clinton In 1999: “The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act makes the most important legislative changes to the structure of the U.S. financial system since the 1930s. … The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act is a major achievement that will benefit American consumers, communities, and businesses of all sizes. I thank all of those individuals who played a role in the development and passage of this historic legislation.” (President Bill Clinton, Statement On The Signing Of The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act Into Law, 11/12/99)

www.rpof.org...

At least he got the part about the businesses correct. They are about the only ones who have benefited.

Plenty of blame to go around for lots of people.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

In your own link, you skipped a ton of stuff:

The bills were introduced in the U.S. Senate by Phil Gramm (R-Texas) and in the U.S. House of Representatives by Jim Leach (R-Iowa). The third lawmaker associated with the bill was Rep. Thomas J. Bliley, Jr. (R-Virginia), Chairman of the House Commerce Committee from 1995 to 2001. On May 6, 1999, the Senate passed the bills by a 54-44 vote along party lines (53 Republicans and one Democrat in favor; 44 Democrats opposed).[2] On July 20, the House passed a different version of the bill on an uncontested and uncounted voice vote.

My guess, the republicans added some pork to appease the democrats, and they agreed to sign the bill. I don't know, I haven't really examined the history of that bill, I just examined the voting history and the contents of it.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I never had economic problems with that woman!

new topics

top topics

join