It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outrage brewing over proposed 1,900% beer tax hike

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
If there were any men in Oregon, those legislators would be dead by morning.

Then see who would suggest it next.

Seriously, I have had it. I am enraged, and I don't even live there. It is time to take this country back from these looters.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
they make pretty damn good money doing dui's

\they actually stimulate the economy

figure
lawyer,,
you pay huge fines
may hire a taxi
you bought the beer/sales tax that got you the dui

take a bus/train etc

and pay $5-6000.00 in fines ,,,at least in nj

this is bs,,,,,,and real bad if you smoke and drink,,,,,,similar to rape,,,,except it's of your wallet

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

It does seem worse that it's about beer. These pioneer micro-brewers decided to strike out on their own to brew beer that was different from the major brands in all the stores. They took a big chance and it eventually paid off. it wasn't easy to build a market for a more expensive product with limited availability but they did it. Some people can't stand that. Is it just the politicians that want this tax increase? Will it hurt the major brands as much or will it drive the little guys out of business and turn the market back to the big bland beer brewers?

It's also the trend that really bugs me. This attitude that people exist to be taxed. How can we get more money from people? What can we do that they won't be able to resist? gov has used up all the obvious opportunities: income, property, sales, luxury, hotel, utility use, fuel. All this money is raised to help government do good. So enough already. Stop coming up with the new taxes. Do Oregon politicians really care about raising money for alcohol treatment? I find that very hard to believe. They don't care about the alcoholics or the treatment providers. How does this help those politicians then? Will it help them get reelected? Maybe. They want to raise the tax because it's not high enough. It ought not to be that low. They ought to get more. They ought to tighten up. Maybe they think that people will understand that if we keep these clowns in office they will find clever ways to solve everybody's problems by taxing the other guy.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Too bad. That will sure upset the beer alkies won't it. Little do they realize the chemicals they are consuming to their detriment. One of them is flouride.
I guess there will be more family fights and family break ups, and starving children, because these alkies would rather drink than eat.
All useless edibles could be taxed thusly. Candy, cake, & ice cream too.

We sould have a much healthier population if we did.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

"the bill says it would fund prevention, treatment and recovery programs for those addicted to alcohol and other substances"

Yeah. The Texas state legislators tried to tell us something similar - that the proceeds from the Texas State Lottery would go to the education fund if voters allowed it in Texas. So voters allowed it, and guess where the profits are going?

If you said "not toward education" give yourself a gold star. The funds are appropriated in the "General fund" to be doled out however the state chooses.

Point: Get it in writing - handwriting, preferrably or signed and read the fine print.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

oh yes, we've got a lottery too! forgot about that. and ours was supposed to go toward education, among other things. people didn't like that because it wasn't "stable" enough. which is a good point but it goes to other things. i'm not keen on lottery but at least it is entirely voluntary.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Good! Maybe now we'll get less drunken beating! Yaaay!

I don't think alcohol should be outlawed, but it should be taxed like hell.

In a recession, you should not be enjoying the pleasures of beer. You should be cutting back on such things, so you can afford your bills and the house you shouldn't have bought.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sadisticwoman

Sounds like you believe in social engineering by taxation. Bad idea all around. For one thing, it's only a happy thing when your belief system happens to agree with those who govern. You allow those in power to tax everything they disapprove of, there will be heck to pay. It allows them to suppress anything they disagree with. Besides that, I assumed the purpose of taxation was to fund public programs. I admit that I don't know that for sure but I don't think high taxation is supposed to be used to suppress activities. I agree that that is the effect of the tax on cigarettes and that they have become little more than tax collection devices, but I don't agree with that use of taxation. Is that what you are suggesting? Legislate morality through excessive taxation?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
*Ahem*

Home brew anyone???

At this rate it will be cheaper to brew your own...that's if they don't declare hops as an illegal substance like vitamin b6...

Happiness will also get a 718 billion dollar tax increase, hence why no-one has any.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with taxing the crap out of these boozers. They are nothing but wife-beaters and deadly drunk drivers. I'm all for making criminals pay more taxes so us law abiders pay less.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Just a little update/comment. The state of Idaho recently tried to triple the tax on wine and beer.
Yesterday at around 2pm that bill was struck down by conscientious Idaho lawmakers. Good deal for the wine and beer producers here in Idaho that are already hanging by a thread!!!NO NEW TAXES!!!
Also I must say that anyone who doesnt want to does not have to pay taxes on their beer,wine or liquor. Just make it yourself. It is easy to make a beverage that is superior to commercial brands right in your own kitchen. The only thing you will have to pay is sales tax on ingredients and equipment.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by spookjr]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

hahaha, exactly what I was thinking. Time to bring back the good old days, forget the drug trade, its time for the booze trade.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
everybody i talk to admits to drinking much more frequently these days. not falling down drunk, just that drink or two with friends happening way more often. my neighbor just signed up for a wine club that costs the exact amount of his "tax relief" as promised by obama.

i love the idea of making my own, but my experience with such projects is that by the time i buy the equipment and ingredients and made the rookie mistakes, I've spent way more than if I just buy it from the experts even with the taxes!

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
its about time you none smoking alcoholics got a taste of your own medicine lol

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Leave the beer alone!

They'd be better off taxing the daylights out of pharmaceuticals.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join