It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans want to socialize banks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Irony: Republican Doesn’t Rule Out Bank Nationalization. Democrat Says No.

Like Republican Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, for instance, who said today on ABC’s “This Week” that the idea of nationalizing the banks was not off the table for him:

“This idea of nationalizing bank is not comfortable but I think we have got so many toxic assets spread throughout the banking and financial community throughout the world that we’re going to have to do something that no one ever envisioned a year ago, no one likes,” he said. “To me banking and housing are the root cause of this program,” Graham said. “I would not take off [the table] the idea of nationalizing the banks.”

That is irony.

And the Dems say no.

“You can have a big, bold plan without nationalization,” Schumer said.

What the hell is going on here?

If Lindsey Graham wants to socialize the banks, he should start with the top at the Federal Reserve. I guess that is why the democrats are opposed to bank socialization (but support socializing everything else) because they think any calls for nationalizing the banks would bring the Fed into the crosshairs.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
"Republicans want to socialize banks"
Lindsey Graham now speaks for all Republicans? News to me.

"the Dems say 'no'"
...and Chuck Schumer has become the spokesperson for the entire Democrat party!?!?

Amazing! All this time I thought that some sort of consensus or at least majority in agreement would be required for official party lines on issues. Such as, the Democrats supported Obama's bailout, the Republicans did not. See, there's a majority in there somewhere, allowing said statement to retain a bit of credibillity.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I watched the talk shows this sunday and listened to both the democratic and republican talking points. Now setting aside the fact that they are really a two party crime family here is what I soaked in from their rhetoric.

Republicans: Money going to the working class via tax breaks, infrastructure, unemployment etc is a bad thing. Bailing out banks including nationalization if need be is a good thing.

Democrats: Money going to the working class via tax breaks, infrastructure, unemployment etc is a good thing. Bailing out banks good thing nationalization is a bad thing.

What am I missing here?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

What am I missing here?

Well you have option A and B spelled out nicely.

You forgot C though.

THEY ARE BOTH CORRUPT PIECES OF SLIME STEALING OUR HARD EARNED MONEY!!!

Lindsay Graham..pff.

He's a piece of garbage.

Everyone is going to love Republicans now YOU DUMBASS!

I swear this country is so full of stupidity it's damn near unbearable.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

David has the answer. This is not a partisan issue.
When will people REALIZE that they are all crooks? They play the game, Reps say yes, so Dems say no, then Dems say yes, and Reps say no.
IT'S ALL A SHAM. There is only ONE party- the party of corrupt politicians.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

IT'S ALL A SHAM. There is only ONE party- the party of corrupt politicians.

So true. How can anyone side with either one of these thieves. I don't understand it. Putting false hope in to people who really don't give a damn about you...they only care about their own wealth and power.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

What am I missing here?

Well you have option A and B spelled out nicely.

You forgot C though.

Lindsay Graham..pff.

He's a piece of garbage.

Everyone is going to love Republicans now YOU DUMBASS!

I swear this country is so full of stupidity it's damn near unbearable.

No actually I mentioned quite clearly they are a two party crime family

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Looks like there is more momentum to bank nationalization than I thought of.

www.ft.com... .html?nclick_check=1

Mr Graham said that people across the US accepted his argument that it was untenable to keep throwing good money after bad into institutions such as Citigroup and Bank of America, which now have a lower net value than the amount of public funds they have received.

“You should not get caught up on a word [nationalisation],” he told the Financial Times in an interview. “I would argue that we cannot be ideologically a little bit pregnant. It doesn’t matter what you call it, but we can’t keep on funding these zombie banks [without gaining public control]. That’s what the Japanese did.”

Barack Obama, the president, who has tried to avoid panicking lawmakers and markets by entertaining the idea, has recently moved more towards what he calls the “Swedish model” – an approach backed strongly by Mr Graham. In the early 1990s, Sweden nationalised its banking sector then auctioned banks, having cleaned up their balance sheets. “In limited circumstances the Swedish model makes sense for the US,” said Mr Graham.

Looks like there is some talk within the administration though they are officially opposed, I wonder what this would lead to.

I still say any talk about nationalizing banks should still start with the Federal Reserve.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
The pro Republican folks here make me laugh. The very same idiots who did this to our country are the ones you turn to for answers now?? Suckers. I'm no huge fan of the Democrats(aside from our President) but if you go back through the last 100 years, it's a proven fact that our economy performs much better under Democratic leadership than Republicans. After 8 years of catastrophic incompetence form the Right in America I think it would be wise to let the other side of the aisle make the big decisions for awhile. Lindsay Graham just showed the fatal flaw of today's Republican Party...they stand for NOTHING.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkeye1717

The pro Republican folks here make me laugh.

I'm quite confused here. WHAT "republican folks" are you talking about on this thread? It looks to me like almost all of the posts here specifically said that BOTH parties are the problem.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Great David, my feelings exactly!

2nd

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkeye1717

You should really forget the party crap.

I guess soon when both of them turn around and wack you upside the head you will figure it out.
There is not much time left.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Go ahead, nationalise banks, it will make my financial shorts go all the way to the moon.

Bring it on.

new topics

top topics

join