It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newspaper outs gun owners!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Newspaper outs gun owners!!

www.commercialappeal.com

Misunderstandings with people who carry guns can turn ugly.

This past week it has been ugly at the newspaper, after passionate gun owners latched onto three very wrong ideas about why The Commercial Appeal's Web site now lists all those in Tennessee who have a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Hey ... I have an idea here. Why doesn't this same newspaper publish a list of all people who have communicable diseases? How about a list of people with HIV? Maybe some mother would be a little concerned about her child spending the night at a friend's home where mom and dad have full-blown AIDS. Maybe a school official might like to know which teachers are HIV positive, and which are not.

We know the reason, don't we? The newspaper is philosophically opposed to people owning and carrying guns ... and this is a way for them to fight back.-Neal Boortz.

www.commercialappeal.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
This is the same newspaper that biased the Memphis 3 trial some years back and still refuses to allow its employees to interview individuals who question the credibility of that trial's evidence. This paper also has a very ugly reputation in journalism for targeting outsiders who oppose the owners' personal views. Unfortunately this is standard practice in newsrooms across the country, so much so that it is the real cause of the industry's decline.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Truly disturbing. That doesn't seem very smart on their part, if they list even one paranoid heavily armed dude they might just have something a little bigger on their plate, like a molotov cocktail through the window.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The CA is available in my area. Needless to say, I won't ever buy another one. Their agenda is transparent BS. I love the last line:

The newspaper isn't anti-gun. We are pro-news and information. That's our job, and we want to do it right.

Yeah right. How stupid does a person have to be to fall for that crap? Since when is Joe Six Pack's non-descript life news? And exactly what information are they sharing? They themselves admit that virtually every home within 150 miles of Memphis has at least one gun in it and yes, that is common knowledge. So why is this even worth printing?

The good news is that I think there's little harm in this. On the other hand, I can't see a point at all for doing it except to pi$$ off Memphis area gun owners, either.

[edit on 16-2-2009 by vor78]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Knowing how that rag operates from a coworker who used to work there in the mid-90s that probably is the objective. Like I said, they are not known for integrity or for looking out for the public's interest. It would be just the push Tennessee needs to ban private gun ownership if something did happen.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Hmm, I bet a smart criminal would try to find all their names in a phonebook and make sure to never, ever try to rob their house. A big huge applause to the newspaper for advocation of smarter criminals.

Wonder if that would hold up in a lawsuit for gross negligence and find the paper as actionable for those not on the list that are victims of a home robbery.

"Yes your honor, I did happen to have $273 million in small, unmarked bills on my kitchen counter. I was planning to look for a good bank to open an account later that day."

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I beleive its more to "test the waters" than to see what harm it can do. They will see how stirred up the people get and then based on that take it farher.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

If some criminal ever admits that they used one of these lists to assist them in committing a crime, then yes, I believe the paper absolutely should have civil liability. Of course, you and I both know that the 'justice' system would never allow that to happen, however.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I sent the dumb pricks a real nice email.

How stupid can it get? Really now............

new topics

top topics

join