It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist: Alien 'Shadow Life' May Already Live on Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

Aliens may be living among us, but we wouldn't not know it because they'd microbes that do not have the standard biochemistry of Earth-dwelling organisms.

As well as the many forms of life based on DNA that are known to science, the Earth may be home to "shadow life," a second creation of organisms that make up an unnoticed realm of "life as we don't know it," according to Paul Davies of Arizona State University, a cosmologist and theorist of extraterrestrial life.

Such "weird life" would never have been identified by scientists because the techniques we use for studying microbes are based on the familiar biological processes that drive the living things we understand, Davies told the American Association for the Advancement of Science conference in Chicago on Saturday.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
But having different (bio)chemistry does not make life-form an alien. As far as i understand it, at least. If it developed here, on this planet - then it has the same "rights" to this planet as us.
By the way, even with current biosphere not all is clear. Virus - life form or not? Huge argument going on.
So - i agree that there is a lot that we do not know, and odd type of previously unknown lifeforms is a definite possibility. Still - does not make them alien. Maybe our biochemistry is a real alien one?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
But having different (bio)chemistry does not make life-form an alien.

Technically, it does make it "alien" in the sense it is outside what we know about life.

However, you are right; it is not alien in the sense of being from another world.

If such lifeforms are found it could have a profound impact on exobiology and our quest to find life on other worlds.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
well, it did spark my imagination

we picture aliens as little green or gray guys,,, or even hiding in human form

what if they're birds,,,dogs,,, trees,,,,,,, or hidden on my couch invisibly

the possibilities are endless

[edit on 16-2-2009 by shortywarn]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
We have a poor concept of alien vs extraterrestrial.

Alien=forgien/weird/unknown

Extraterrestrial= Not from earth

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
THEY R HERE WATCHING EVERYTHING WE DO I HAVE PROOF COME 2 MY HOUSE IN PERTH AUSTRALIA AND I WOULD SHOW U I HEAR THEM WHEN THERE HERE I HAVE THEM ON INFRARED WEBCAM.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Lets not forget underwater...thousands of creatures we never know about are discovered every year...Its another huge world under there.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by hardcoremusiclover

It might not be "our" poor concept of alien vs extraterrestrial. It is probably simply my personal poor concept of English!
Alien life it is, then.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Maybe some of those creatures could be what people see high up in the atmosphere e.g. Rods and jellyfish creatures.

new topics

top topics

join