It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kansas Suspends Income Tax Refunds, State Payroll, and Funding to Schools and Other State Department

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by j2000

I today, with our state in chaos. Our country gone stupid.
My fellow Americans that won't wake up,
won't stand up.
I have official conciderd our once great nation officially
in "Distress".

Pic of House this Morning

a man of his word, good job.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
So, since the State of Kansas has decided they won't pay their tax return obligations why should I pay my tax obligation to them??? Oh yeah, it's OK for the government but against the law for the little guy.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

In addition to payroll spending, the tax refunds and Medicaid payments, payments to schools and cities could be affected eventually if the impasse continues.

The state is scheduled March 2 to pay $185 million to public schools and $25 million to cities and counties to offset money lost when the state abolished the machinery and equipment tax, Goossen said.

Diane Gjerstad, lobbyist for Wichita schools, said she didn’t expect the district to be harmed. She added that the situation pointed to why districts need to have their own contingency fund. "If the state is short, we want to be able to make our payroll," she said.

Andover schools would be able to pay employees for the near future, said district spokeswoman Keturah Austin.

"If the state didn’t make it on time in February, we have enough cash reserves for one month," she said.
www.kansas.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
MSM has been all over this today.

Basically, she wants to borrow money that she can't pay back unless she sign's the new modifed budget. Kansas law says you can borrow it, but you have to prove you can pay it back by the end of the fiscal year.

She already borrowed 355 million and now wants another 255 million.

What gets me, is that for 2010, her budget will be 1.2 billion short.
What the heck is she spending it on. Maybe it's a new Obama statue........

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by turbokid

I today, with our state in chaos. Our country gone stupid.
My fellow Americans that won't wake up,
won't stand up.
I have official conciderd our once great nation officially
in "Distress".

Pic of House this Morning

a man of his word, good job.

Always, or at least anything in my control..........

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Looks as though the budget stalemate has come to a close.

Gov. Kathleen Sebelius moves to end a budget impasse that is delaying income tax refunds and threatening to hold up state employees' paychecks by signing a bill to eliminate a deficit.

The Democratic governor Tuesday met a key demand from Republican leaders that she sign the bill before they allow her to take steps to ease a cash crunch. But Sebelius vetoed individual provisions in the bill to lessen cuts to public schools. She also vetoed several other items.

Republican leaders said the budget needed to be balanced before they would approve a plan from Sebelius to borrow money internally to shore up the state's main bank account.
www.kmbc.com...

Kansans certainly can't get overly-excited now though, because the state will soon be preparing for 2010 budget gap that totals over $1.1 billion. This means HUGE services/department/agency slashing or a significant increase in tax revenues (retail and/or property).

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

reply to post by svenglezz

Not very good. Kansas was really good until two years ago.

Looks like Kansas is "not in Kansas anymore toto"

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Americans want to blame everybody else, but it's nobody's fault but our own. The American people have been asleep at the wheel for a long time now. More people spend hours to vote for American friggin' Idol than try to vote for our leaders. They only get away w/ what we let them. And we've been too lazy to keep watch on our own store.

How could "they" let this happen? No, "they" didn't let this happen. You did. And I understand, you know. You work all day. You're tired. The kids are driving you up the friggin' wall. The old lady/man is naggin' again. You just wanna crack open a beer and relax already. Have a moment to yourself. Think for a moment. Or better yet, not think for a moment.

It ain't easy, but this is what we wanted. A Republic in the most traditional sense of the word, but that takes work. That takes being informed. It means taking a chance on the "nerd" that may know a thing or two instead the one that likes to wink and grin at you. That just charms you w/ nothing to back it up. We're like teenagers voting for prom king/queen.

They don't get it? No, we don't get it.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Hey kansas. Toss out your illegal aliens and see if that helps. They use your schools and hospitals and welfare but don't pay taxes and send their wages back to mexico.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Make Speed Limit 45

Wow, haven't heard that argument in a long time. Almost started to miss it.

It would take a monumental effort to do that, not to mention the fact that you'd hurt the companies that employ them since they'd have lost production ability until they refilled those roles or found ways to stretch other employees abilities to fit over the holes. Not to mention that lost production = lost sales= lost tax revenue.

Combatting illegal immigration is something we can only do during times of normal operation, since it takes quite a bit to find/track down, apprehend, and return to country of origin all of those who aren't there legally. Remember it isn't like when they cross the border they sign a list saying they are in the country. We don't know where they are, how many, or where they live/are employed. We only have estimates and guesses, to really find them would mean making it a priority and giving money to fund it.

And with Kansas in this condition (not to mention the nation), you'd probably have a better chance of legalizing marijuana (and taxing the heck out of it) than deporting illegals.

[edit on 2/17/2009 by Sir Solomon]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by MOFreemason
Looks as though the budget stalemate has come to a close.

Gov. Kathleen Sebelius moves to end a budget impasse that is delaying income tax refunds and threatening to hold up state employees' paychecks by signing a bill to eliminate a deficit.

The Democratic governor Tuesday met a key demand from Republican leaders that she sign the bill before they allow her to take steps to ease a cash crunch. But Sebelius vetoed individual provisions in the bill to lessen cuts to public schools. She also vetoed several other items.

Republican leaders said the budget needed to be balanced before they would approve a plan from Sebelius to borrow money internally to shore up the state's main bank account.
www.kmbc.com...

Kansans certainly can't get overly-excited now though, because the state will soon be preparing for 2010 budget gap that totals over $1.1 billion. This means HUGE services/department/agency slashing or a significant increase in tax revenues (retail and/or property).

She had to pull her nose out of Obama's butt or get taken out.
I am glad she backed down. She saved a little bit of it in the end, but they just let her take it closer to the limit.

I think, or at least hope, the craziness of the Fed. Gov. woke some people up in Kansas this week. I will continue to fly my American flag in "distress" mode until we get back to the constitution.

I am willing to fight it the rest of my life at this point.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
^^^ I am with you all the way on this F* these damn CROOKS!

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mrfire9

Check your inbox. I sent you a u2u two days ago.

2nd line

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Interesting development in the land of OZ.

If you can't beat em' join em?

Kansas Governor is top pick for Obama admin...

www.nytimes.com...

WASHINGTON – President Obama has settled on Gov. Kathleen Sebelius of Kansas, a key ally with a record of working across party lines, as his top choice for secretary of health and human services, advisers said Wednesday.

Should she be nominated, Ms. Sebelius would bring eight years of experience as her state’s insurance commissioner as well as six years as a governor running a state Medicaid program. But with Mr. Obama about to begin a drive to expand health coverage — an issue on which the parties have deep ideological divisions — her strongest asset in the White House view may be her record of navigating partisan politics as a Democrat in one of the country’s most Republican states.

Ms. Sebelius resolved a state budget crisis on Tuesday and plans to be in Washington from Saturday through Tuesday for a meeting of the National Governors’ Association. Asked about the cabinet job, her spokeswoman, Beth Martino, said the governor “is focused on the economic challenges currently facing Kansas, including our state budget and the impacts of the federal stimulus package.”

Yep, done such a great job in Kansas, it's time to take the game to Washington.

I wonder, is there a place in the new admin. for Schwarzenegger?

[edit on 18-2-2009 by Walkswithfish]

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join