It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heart Pill To Banish "Bad" Memorys

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Heart Pill To Banish "Bad" Memorys

news.bbc.co.uk

Scientists believe a common heart medicine may be able to banish fearful memories from the mind.

The Dutch investigators believe beta-blocker drugs could help people suffering from the emotional after effects of traumatic experiences.

They believe the drug alters how memories are recalled after carrying out the study of 60 people, Nature Neuroscience reports.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Anyone seen the film "Equilibrium"?

The pill is said to diminish the effects bad memorys that we have, aka, phobias. Even though at the moment people are questioning the ethical issues of the drug, we all know that once the technology is there, its only a matter of time before it is used.

In my opinion, i can see this being used widley in the army/secret services more than the public. Who better to erradicate fear from than a soldier risking their life? The west will have their own "suicide bombers" who will have no fear of going in and doing a task that will certainly result in their own death.

We have fear for a reason, to prevent us from jumping of buildings too tall, fighting with the wrong people/animals, etc etc.

Getting rid of a whole emotion is one of the most scary things that could happen, humanity would no longer exist if emotions were gone, we would be way more slave-like than we are now, for we would not care/mind/think for we have no emotion to spark any free thoughts.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Isn't this the same aspect of the brain responsible for our life saving reactions?

The "startle response" is quite often what gets you out of harms way... the difference between a phobia and natural response is that the phobia is an irrational fear. This drug doesn't decipher which is a rational fear and which isn't, it simply blocks or at least impedes the "startle response".

I mean, as funny as it would be to watch people smile at oncoming high speed trains, I don't believe it would be beneficial to the victim.

Fear, in many aspects, keeps you alive.

To add to this, chemical responses for fear are also linked closely with pleasure, joy, sadness, etc.
I should hope they've done extensive tests to make sure the patients ability to enjoy joyful memories isn't removed either, or to feel sad when a family member dies, etc.

If you can't feel... what's the point in being alive?

If someone has a heart condition, the problem is the heart.
Focus on that, rather than trying to limit emotional responses.

... lol, now I've got an image in my head of people smiling at high speed trains...

[edit on 16-2-2009 by johnsky]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I think this is a load of crap.
I used to take beta blockers, they are bad for you unless you have a severe blood pressure or heart problem that warrants the risk of taking them.
Doctors hand them out like candy.
But they certainly didn't affect my bad memories.
I think of course this is just another study by evil psychopaths to make money and poison people.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Exactly.. I doubt this drug targets memories but the actual fear response in your brain itself. Which seems like a vitally important adaptation. How are you going to lift something heavy that's fallen on you when you have no fear for your life to kick in your adrenaline?

Maybe there really is already a drug that makes you forget really fearful moments. I remember reading stuff on here about rich/secret organizations carrying out sexual acts on kidnapped people drugged. Then apparently making them forget with drugs/brainwashing. Don't know about the story being true at all but this sorta makes you think.

Also about the JFK assassination where the elegid assassin apparently was drugged to forget or brainwashed(something along those lines). Not to mention MKALTRA. Who knows what kinds of things 'they' have?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Allright!!! A pill that makes me forget all of the dumb things I have ever done. When can I get the one that makes me forget all of the bad things ever done to me? Then Ill just have a simple life of bliss feeling happy about my life and the lives of those around me. Utopia baby!!

As my signature suggests, I dont get to be one of these happy people.

Are we as a people ever going to wake up and realize that bad things are part of life just like the good things and that pills cant/wont/shouldnt solve all of our woes?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
if this pill would make people stop drinking and be happier I would be glad to use it on some coworkers

Something like this must have some bad side effect...

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Side effects of the medicine are hallucinations, dizzyness, nightmares, exercise intolerance, and many more.

new topics

top topics

join