It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicide eclipses Combat Deaths

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Suicide has eclipsed combat deaths with active enlisted men using figures from both Iraq and Afghanistan.

Of course this does not include those who have committed suicide who are no longer considered on active duty. The rate would triple if that count was taken into the books.

What is going on that is so horrible?

What are our boys seeing and doing that makes them feel as if all is lost when they return home?

The most important question will be what sort of psychological blowback will the vets of Iraq and Afghanistan suffer as a group in the coming lean years? Where will this lead us?

I suppose most on this board are too young to recall the beaten down economy the Viet Nam vets returned to in the early 70’s. When our new generation of vets return to North America they too will be returning to a recession as well as to a demoralized public.

When the Viet Nam vets came home some where spit upon. They came home to an angry and divided America fresh out of the dark Nixonian years. The oil crisis was on the horizon as the Viet Nam vets tried to adjust to an America they did not recognize.

It seems we may be entering an even darker time then that period making myself want to begin to pave a smoother civilian welcome to those who will be arriving home traumatised by a war hidden from America.

Soon, some of the truths will arrive home with the troops, and we all will need to deal with our foray into the Middle East.

Last month, the number of U.S. soldier suicides reached 24, well ahead of the number of combat deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan, recorded at 16.

www.theglobeandmail.com...

Last week, the U.S. secretary of the army, Pete Geren, said he wanted all 1.2 million U.S. soldiers retrained in suicide prevention by August.

www.theglobeandmail.com...

In 2008, the suicide rate among active members of the U.S. army eclipsed the comparable civilian rate for the first time.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
People wouldn't be so quick to want to end it all, after they leave the battle field, if they weren't being lied to in the first place when they went in.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
People are lied to before war all the time. If they were not lied to then nobody would go to war as the reasoning would then show itself as flawed.

I myself want to welcome the Vets home as the heros they are.

PS Your comment introduces the idea of what one is fighting for is a lie........many are simply fighting because they have always wanted to be soldiers and this war simply poped into our view...others join in order to secure an education...others join simply to work...some join to escape the humdrum of poverty....I believe they all love the idea of America which is the idea..the archtype they are fighting for.

So which lie are you speaking of?

Peace
WR

[edit on 16-2-2009 by whiteraven]

new topics

join