It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earths Velocity/Speed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I didn't know where else to ask this so why not here.

So I started off with hearing that the earth is going around the sun at 20km/sec. Alright fair enough but then I hear that the sun is going 200km/sec around the black whole in the middle of the milky way.

Upon hearing that I attributed the sun with say a western direction. If we were going clockwise around it wouldn't our velocity be constantly changing, and therefore be constantly be accelerating/ decelerating?

This logic can then be applied to our milky way and even to our local cluster, so my question is this:

Is there ever a time when our position in space somehow manages to stay fixed for any calculable period of time?

Not much of a question just curious if we even know the answer

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
i always believed that we are traveling at the speed of light.. an this allows us to experience time at the rate we do.

like what u were saying about how we move around the sun which moves around the galaxy which is moving around something else.. so on and so forth

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
This page might help:

What is the Speed of the Earth?

Here are a few interesting speeds your currently traveling at (look at the above address to get the larger picture):

Your location spinning around Earth's axis: 1041.7 MPH

Earth's velocity around the Sun: 69,360.73 MPH

The Solar System orbits around the Galactic center at an estimated 446,400 MPH

Who knows exactly how fast you're traveling given the galaxy is in motion, and the universe itself is expanding (or at least we perceive it to be), and then how fast do you think the universe travels through the multiverse? Where does it end?

[edit on 16/2/09 by Evasius]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemonkey
i always believed that we are traveling at the speed of light.. an this allows us to experience time at the rate we do.

like what u were saying about how we move around the sun which moves around the galaxy which is moving around something else.. so on and so forth

The rate you/we experience time is the same at anywhere or any speed.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Evasius

Once we get to the galctic level, what can we compare our speed to?

There needs to be a baseline object to which compare the speed (Earth's compared to the Sun; the Sun's speed compared to the galactic center, etc). However, to what can we compare the Milky Way's speed? To other galaxies? But wouldn't that be like comparing your speed in a moving car to the speed of the moving car next to you?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemonkey

I wasn't aware that our galaxy was orbiting something... I thought galaxies form filaments of light in the darkness, I remember how they supposedly look a little like the structure of neurons in the brain.

Here's a picture:
upload.wikimedia.org... 2-.gif

As for measuring speed and finding a moment when all is still, we already do that, we pick an object and say that its stationary and measure the speed of everything else relative to that, its the only way in an ever changing universe. We do similar in other instances also though, we measure other planets mass, size, gravity, atmospheric pressure etc relative to earth, for instance, Mars mass is 0.107 Earths.

new topics

top topics

join