It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Science and Philosophy of Consciousness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I have been reading the following

www.users.globalnet.co.uk...

and that is what makes i think humans different from ALL other animals.

The awarness of conciousness. Its an interesting link what do others make of it?

The way that the processes that create conscious experience are non-conscious has led some philosophers to suggest that consciousness itself is just a 'ghost in the machine' of the brain (Ryle 1949).

[edit on 16-2-2009 by theflashor]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Couldn't get your link to work but I browsed a few pages at that site. One observation is that "Philosophy" is another word for ignorance. It's just make believe, not knowing, ideas. Tons of careers are built by people posing ideas or buying into them. From Darwin and Einstein are just common examples. I watched a video on a Peruvian excavation recently and one part was this Archeologist who went around the world trying to prove the motives behind the origins of civilization. Incredible how people can manufacture careers for themselves promoting non-sense. It's an industry. Humans are distinct but consciousness is present in all life forms. Consciousness is spirit itself as sensation and perception are spirit itself. Matter needs spirit, spirit doesn't need matter. Spirit can be conscious on it's own and will be conscious on it's own when it's finished it's sojourn in these worlds. Spirit benefits from matter because it facilitates the ability of the spirit to remain conscious by descending to states of lower intensity. When the spirit is incapable of remaining properly conscious, say in a human form, it will reincarnate into a lower form where it can remain conscious at a reduced intensity. The human form is unique because it has access to all the ranges of consciousness from the lowest to the highest. This does not make the human form the highest form only the most versatile and therefore most spiritually beneficial.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   

"Philosophy" is another word for ignorance.
I totally disagree with you that is a ignorant statement! to say the least

Philosophy is the bringer of wisdom! and love!

Wikipedia

Often philosophy is seen as an investigation into an area not sufficiently well understood to be its own branch of knowledge. What were once philosophical pursuits have evolved into the modern day fields such as psychology, sociology, linguistics, and economics, for example. But as such areas of intellectual endeavour proliferate and expand, so will the broader philosophical questions that they generate.

Get some knowledge before making claims that

"Philosophy" is another word for ignorance.

Without philosophy where would we be now! no where! without philosophy man would still be without fire! you have annoyed me with your comment!

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
The main information on that article is that we work like computers / machines. But it begs the question whats controlling us?!

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ReelView

Did I read wrong, or did you, right after showing your distaste for those who have philosophies, then just give yours. Not that I'm agreeing or disagreeing, after all it is your philiosophy.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
if you read the article it basically says that humans are scientifically proven to work like computers. the brain being the processor and memory. Although the driving force is the question that baffles scientists. This is one of the reports that have led scientists to say that we are the creators of our own existence / world that we percieve. We see a tree as a tree because our brain tells us its a tree. A chair as a chair Etc. etc..

One observation is that "Philosophy" is another word for ignorance

i only shown distaste to that comment as without Philosophy humans would be truely ignorant

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Before we try to discern the "Philosophy" of consciousness, don't you think we should find out what consciousness is?
What IS consciousness?
Is consciousness a byproduct of the space/time universe or is consciousness the ground of being in which space/time is created?

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rumbottlerenovator
Before we try to discern the "Philosophy" of consciousness, don't you think we should find out what consciousness is?
What IS consciousness?
Is consciousness a byproduct of the space/time universe or is consciousness the ground of being in which space/time is created?

About that, i don't find a meaning on something like "philosophy of consciousness", i mean, philosophy is supposed to be a science which takes on problems like "what is consciousness" or "are we really on a physical world?" etc.

So it really doesn't make sense to say "philosophy of consciousness" as if it was a branch of some other science than philosophy itself, which already have fields where consciousness is being explored.

Other than that, i went to look at the site, seems interesting, don't have time right now to read through but a quick look at it shows about what can be expected to see from standard school books, but anyway, i really didn't look at it so don't take my word for it.

One observation is that "Philosophy" is another word for ignorance

This is one of the most ignorant comments i have seen in my entire life. It could maybe even make it to the top of the list, and that 'maybe' is just because i am not sure the poster really intended to say exactly that, maybe English as a second language?

[edit on 20-2-2009 by Kaifan]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rumbottlerenovator
What IS consciousness?

I tend to think it is the first, since if it was the second, we would not be able to recognize it as such? like for instance, we still don't really understand how time/space works, but we can at least understand we are "inside" it.

So that would mean, consciousness can't be an outside element or the base where time/space is created or we wouldn't be aware of its existence, does this make sense? i think i am not explaining very well, sorry i may need to revisit this later on.

Another thing is, if i die, and the consciousness doesn't die with the body, then, depending on what happens after death, if souls or entities without a body can't experience time the same as we do, the second choice may be closer to the truth than the first one. But this is dangerous territory

I need a cup of coffee right now.

Kai

[edit on 20-2-2009 by Kaifan]

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
You are right. To define consciousness is what has to come first if an answer about what is conscious can be answered.

I would submit for your consideration that consciousness is part of personality. If this is true, then if you can define what possess personality then you can begin to eliminate that which does not have it.

Ron

top topics

join