It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Start of using chips as replacement of cash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I am just watching BBC Breakfast and they are doing a piece on checks not being accepted any longer in shops and from there to cash being replaced, slowly but surely, by a chip.

Of course a basic chip is currently already present in our bank cards but banks will be moving on to a contact-less card (you just have to touch the card to a terminal and you have paid. What a step back from using your PIN. What about safety?) and from there to your mobile phone.

The "reporter" on the show is showing shops where they already do not accept cash and the "expert" is predicting that this will be the norm in the not too distant future. A scary prospect as moving from a chip in a mobile phone as the only form of payment to a chip implanted in a human may still be a leap but if cash is abolished it may be promoted as the "only way" to prevent fraud and loss.

The scariest thing is that the BBC is actively promoting this projection of the future. I say that it may not be inevitable but it seems more likely to happen if no-one objects to this.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Chip?

What chip?

I transact using my iris scan.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ctjctjctj
Chip?

What chip?

You are outdated. As long as my aura is within range i can authorise the transaction by just mentaly approving it.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by GEORGETHEGREEK

Originally posted by ctjctjctj
Chip?

What chip?

You are outdated. As long as my aura is within range i can authorise the transaction by just mentaly approving it.

Oops, I omitted "ed". It should have been "I transactED using my iris scan."

I no longer need to transact.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
SIX
SIX SIX
the number of the beast!
Sacrifice is going on tonight!!
\00/

-

[edit on 16-2-2009 by prevenge]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I guess you are not worried then ;-). I still think it is strange that the BBC is actively promoting this as the way of the future.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I will accept a IOU from any American that has Honor

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I really think its just the natural progression after paper currency.

First we had

rocks, stones, beads, sticks etc.
grain, weapons, beads
metal
coins
paper
credit card/debit cards

what could be next

the chips that are in the credit/debit cards
rfid
biometric scan

then at one point the chip, biometric scan will fail when people start cutting off hands and eyes then will come something new like mind reading and then system will start all over again with something like silver.

As for promoting it, we've been doing that for like the past 60 years, Star Trek, The Jetsons, Lost in Space etc.

[edit on 16-2-2009 by jatsc]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I thought I had recalled hearing soemthing related to this before on Star Trek.

memory-alpha.org...

For some odd reason, I look forward to the eventuality of the Star Trek realities. I guess the grass or whatever looks greener on the other side.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Matter of fact I remember like back in 99 or 2000 I was watching a show on the Discovery Channel in which some in Quebec, Canada was testing out a cashless system in which people had these cards and merchants had these machines where you inserted the card and used a finger print to purchase stuff from anywhere.

It went like you would go to the farmers market you went to purchase something you pulled out your card, the merchant pulled out a machine about the size of a large scientific calculator and inserted the card they then typed in the price you put your finger on something and it deducted from the card printed out a receipt and you went on your way.

Need less to say I never saw that show on the Discover Channel ever again and I've been trying to find it on the net since then.

[edit on 16-2-2009 by jatsc]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I'm cool with a cashless society, but, like with credit/debit, I expect there to be some sort of transaction identification, for security. It already annoys me that some places will accept credit without a PIN, and, if the cashier is lazy, without so much as an ID check.

Fingerprints replacing PIN numbers would be cool with me. You can fake a fingerprint, but it's a helluvalot easier to just take a video of someone entering a number. As long as you need both a physical object for the transaction, and a relatively secure personal identification method, I'm down.

Checks should have died off (for anything besides paying bills) years ago, IMO.

top topics

join