It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Healthy eating costs more. Why?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

It's simple. Refined carbs are more convenient and almost as cheap as the raw items.

Americans are lazy and don't want to prepare meals so they buy things like noodles and ramen noodles and chips and soda and s*** like that. It's actually a bit more expensive than raw offerings.

Not to mention americans are addicted to high sugar/fat diet. Refined foods are filled with sugars, for example. And there're so many that're filled with fat too, but there're low fat offerings.

Raw offerings are:
1) Oatmeal; Old-fashioned/Thick/Quick
2) White/Brown Rice
3) Legumes; Lentils, Split Peas, Navy beans, Etc.
4) Potatos (colored potatoes are healthier but usually more expensive; ex: sweet potatos)
Etc.

It's not true that unhealthy options are cheaper. What IS true is that people prefer the refined convenient foods. I CONSTANTLY see people avoid buying raw offerings even though they're at least as cheap. And it's very clear to me this is because people don't like to cook them. What's bad about this is that the refined foods usually have added sugars and unnatural treatment/ingredients.

Lean meats and fish are best. But people still are addicted to boloni and fried sausage sticks and BBQ. They should boil it, but they like fried things more. Besides, you don't have to mess around with bloody packages or cut it up yourself when you buy pre-made meats or fish.

Yogurt is a great example. The non-flavored variety can be very healthy if you mix it with some fruits on your own. AND IT'S JUST AS CHEAP! But people prefer the pre-flavored variety that's filled with added sugar. It's less time consuming and tastes real good to them!
edit on 29-3-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
Not to mention americans are addicted to high sugar/fat diet.

For good reason. They're delicious!

And we have a genetic predisposition to like them, since in our developmental years as a species they offered us both quick and long-lasting energy in nice, juicy little packets, and allowed us not to have to spend all of our time scavenging for food. We could relax around the fire, tell stories, develop civilization and all that other good stuff. Thanks to sugar and fat.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by 0m3gakn1ght7

I love the salad etc.. Nothing better that biting into a beefed up salad roll, I want one right now just thinking about it.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I agree with you. I do not believe that they want us eating healthy, why else would food stamp programs allow the cards to be used on junk food?

I eat an orange almost everyday it's my addiction, I just went to the store and realized that the oranges right now are two dollars a piece, holy cow that's a lot for a freakin orange. That's fourteen dollars a week but a family size bag of chips is five-six dollars x2 a week per family= ten-twelve dollars, still cost me more to eat my oranges wtf?

I grow a lot of my own veggies but I can't grow everything. The government knows this so instead they decided if they can't keep us unhealthy they can keep our pockets bare.

just realized your article says Canada not the USA. I really have no idea what they allow there as far as food stamps purchases go so excuse my post if it does not apply.
edit on 29-3-2013 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

Soon you will be able to use something like that

www.earthtechling.com...

edit on 29-3-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by brandiwine14

I sometimes get lemons. They're about 50 cents each. Did you know that miners in the gold rush in the 19th century routinely would pay good money for lemons because of vitamin c deficiency?

WARNING: Lemons don't taste the best, but have lots of phytonutrients and vit c.

When you examine hte health benefits, it's a bargain. Better than a 50 cent candy bar!!

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Family sized potato chips are $2 a pack in Australia.. Maybe there tryin to kill us quicker than everybody else. Some of the vegies are at ridiculous prices though others are reasonable.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

Raw oatmeal is about 95 cents per 1600 calories. Last I looked, those $2 bags of chips are about 3000 calories, at best. So they're actually more expensive, unless you buy them on sale.

Granted, chips are flavord and you don't have to cook them. But oatmeal has beneficial fat in it and lots of energy packed carb to start your morning. Just don't add refined sugars to it. Moreso, since chips are heated so greatly to be crispy, they have traces of cancer causing compounds.

See here:
www.cancer.gov - Acrylamide in Food and Cancer Risk...

Acrylamide has been found in certain foods, with especially high levels in potato chips, French fries, and other food products produced by high-temperature cooking.

Asparagine is an amino acid (a building block of proteins) that is found in many vegetables, with higher concentrations in some varieties of potatoes. When heated to high temperatures in the presence of certain sugars, asparagine can form acrylamide. High-temperature cooking methods, such as frying, baking, or broiling, have been found to produce acrylamide (3), while boiling and microwaving appear less likely to do so. Longer cooking times can also increase acrylamide production when the cooking temperature is above 120 degrees Celsius (4, 5).

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Healthy food = Healthy profits for supermarkets.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Raw offerings are:
2) White/Brown Rice
4) Potatos (colored potatoes are healthier but usually more expensive; ex: sweet potatos)
Etc.

-------------------------------------------------------

Contrary to popular belief these foods are NOT healthy for you. Cereal grains, starches and legumes are brutal on the digestive tract. Lectins, anti-nutrients (although can be broken down at high temperatures) contribute to a degraded colon wall and auto-immune problems (IBS, IBD, Crohn's, Celiac's, Eczema, Psoriasis etc.)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

Family sized potato chips are $2 a pack in Australia.. Maybe there tryin to kill us quicker than everybody else. Some of the vegies are at ridiculous prices though others are reasonable.

Potato chips and other snack-type foods are are very expensive for the amount you get, yet people are willing to spend more money to buy them. Priorities!

I would be worried and encourage people to eat healthier, but I believe there are already too many people on the planet, so why should I want them to live longer? Eat that junk food and die, you people!

EDIT: Actually, considering how crappy people's diets have gotten, and how corrupt the medical industry is, there are plenty more people around living longer than ever. If TPTB are truly trying to kill us off (particularly the poor), they're doing a lousy job of it!

edit on 29-3-2013 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

Nice info, What about steaming? As for the brekkie part, I rarely eat at breakfast, usually a coffee does the trick until lunch but there is only one thing I will ear in the morning and that is Nutri Grain. I'm assuming its healthy because it nearly costs $10 for a crappy box

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0m3gakn1ght7
Raw offerings are:
2) White/Brown Rice
Etc.

-------------------------------------------------------

Contrary to popular belief these foods are NOT healthy for you. Cereal grains, starches and legumes are brutal on the digestive tract. Lectins, anti-nutrients (although can be broken down at high temperatures) contribute to a degraded colon wall and auto-immune problems (IBS, IBD, Crohn's, Celiac's, Eczema, Psoriasis etc.)

I was going to mention following a paleo diet, but I'm turning into a paleo bore so I stopped myself. Have a star. :-)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Those things I listed are popular in asian diets and asians are well known for longer life and less cancer and less obesity. Addtionally, studies here in America show negative affects with raw soybeans, while asians have cooked them for longer than ameicans have been in america. Ironically, asian studies show raw soybeans to be healthy. Strange eh? Much of the healthy food research out there will support my statements about turning to raw foods. If you go to the websites on hte net that're official and not conspiracy sites, you'll see they recommend raw food just as I have. So before you jump around like a monkey with arms flailing, please reconsider.

You know those NO CARBS diets are unhealthy. Most if not all dietary associations in the world consider the paleo diet BS. IMHO, it's pseudo-science. There might be some truth to it, though. For example, I wouldn't want to depend on any one food in my diet. A balanced diet is still the best. Some meat is good. The important thing is to cook raw foods and stay away from premade stuff.

Here's a good read about What would happen if we only ate potatoes and drank milk:
www.straightdope.com - Could I survive on nothing but potatoes and milk?...

The conclusion? It's better if in a starving world you drink milk, eat potatos and eat oatmeal! So there you have it, it's theoretically possible that someone could survive on those things.

Bottom line if grains and legumes were as unhealthy as you state, WE'D KNOW. Instead, the dietary problems in america are the extremes and lack of exercise. We eat too many sugars and refined foods, bottom line. Not enough vegetables and fruits. We don't exercise enough. It turns out that the anti-nutrients in grains and legumes are compensated for by the rest of the nutrients they supply. So they're a net benefit instead of a negative, as you're claiming. Evenso, historically many cultures would soak their grains and legumes for a day or two before eating them. This would, theoretically, greatly reduce the anti-nutrients. But the argument for doing so might be mute.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

Yeah people can eat what they want because when it comes down to it, they aren't eating for me and I don't have to go through the repercussions down the track. But maybe I'll eat healthy and die before most of them, who knows.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
It doesn't have to cost more to eat healthy. A package of meaty soup bones, some celery,an onion, a couple cloves of garlic, four organic carrots, a half cup of barley, four potatoes, and a half a pound of mixed frozen veggies. A little salt and pepper and two bay leaves and maybe some thyme if you want. a small can of crushed tomatoes goes good also. Some dumplings on top go great.

Ten bucks, and four hours of time and you can feed a family of six a very nutritious meal. It cost the same to make a huge pot of chicken soup. There is nothing wrong with a stuffed roast chicken and potatoes and some frozen green Beans, and that can also feed a family of six for about ten bucks.....Unless you have teenage boys, then it will take two roasted chickens.

I think that the whole "what's healthy" business is to promote sales of certain foods. Eating a variety of foods moderately and making homemade is the best.

To make pasties it cost about a buck and a quarter for a good size one if you don't stuff them full of meat. Nothing unhealthy about a pasty. Add a little whole grain light rye and whole grain barley to the flour if you want healthy.

Eat lettuce when it is in season, the apple a day keeps the doctor away saying was created as a sales pitch for apple producers. Half the stuff we hear is created to boost sales of whoever wants to pay to have things promoted. They always accentuate the good but forget to say what is bad about food. Whole wheat bread has a lot of bad points also. A lot of the nutrition is bound to the phytates and phytic acid.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite

Those things I listed are popular in asian diets and asians are well known for longer life and less cancer and less obesity. Addtionally, studies here in America show negative affects with raw soybeans, while asians have cooked them for longer than ameicans have been in america. Ironically, asian studies show raw soybeans to be healthy. Strange eh? Much of the healthy food research out there will support my statements about turning to raw foods. If you go to the websites on hte net that're official and not conspiracy sites, you'll see they recommend raw food just as I have. So before you jump around like a monkey with arms flailing, please reconsider.

You know those NO CARBS diets are unhealthy. Most if not all dietary associations in the world consider the paleo diet BS. IMHO, it's pseudo-science. There might be some truth to it, though. For example, I wouldn't want to depend on any one food in my diet. A balanced diet is still the best. Some meat is good.

I would really love to discuss this but I feel you are set in your ways. If you do ever have the misfortune of bowel problems or eczema (like I have) then I would urge you to reconsider your diet.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

My bowel problems cleared up when I started eating oatmeal and moving away from bread.

By cleared up I mean it just streamed out. No rocks. Relaxing.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
As in all things "follow the money"

Corporate interest from the makers of chemical fertilizer to preservatives have a vested interest in promoting and addicting Americans to junk food.

www.rawfoodexplained.com...

health.usnews.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

One more thing.

This:
www.healthy-eating-politics.com - www.healthy-eating-politics.com...

Some research suggests that phytate has the potential ability to lower blood glucose, reduce cholesterol and triacylglycerols, and reduce the risks of cancer and heart disease, and it may play a part in reducing colon cancer through its absorption of iron and other minerals that cancer cells need for growth.

However, it also deprives non-cancerous cells of the minerals needed for health.

And this:
www.whfoods.com -
Shouldn't we soak oats overnight in order to reduce the level of phytic acid that they contain?...

This study contradicted the notion that phytate robs the body of nutrients:
online.liebertpub.com -
Phytate (myo-Inositol Hexaphosphate) and Risk Factors for Osteoporosis...

Given those links and somebody who is taking a supplement or eating a balanced full diet, I don't see problems. I'd only worry if a person was poor and ONLY eating anti-nutrient rich food.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join