It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Digital Converter Box Conspiracy Thread.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I saw this very same thing when the surveillance backdoor was installed in XP. First you get some unique identification number. Then you get activation.

So you give the gov all your info to get a card to pay for conv box. So then the info given is matched to the uid of the conv. box...what are all those numbers that look like cell phone tracking numbers all over the place? ...On the box to the converter. On the converter. In the converter on the pcb.

i102.photobucket.com...
i102.photobucket.com...
i102.photobucket.com...

Ok so this is what I know. I searched for microphones and cameras and did not find any. What I did find is a power transmitter. It is based around U1 which is the power transmitting transister...which is connected to the aerial. I don't know what is transmitted. I'm curious if anyone is discussing modifications to these boxes? Is there any cool electronics modifications forums? First thing someone needs to do is attach a spectrum analyzer to it and find out (at)what frequency it is transmitting.

i102.photobucket.com...

Where I live, way out in the burbs, I don't have any digital signals (that I'm able to receive). I'm curious if the unit will work with the base cut out of the power transmitting transistor, U1(ecb)...but I can't test this...I suspect the answer is NO because, just like xp, there is an activation screen....

i102.photobucket.com...

Personally, I'm not using this invasion of privacy. Big Brother is here. Everyone needs to trade boxes with their friends and acquaintances (multiple times).

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
www.fbo.gov... w=1
...Just checking out the amendments....
www.fbo.gov...
I noticed this was an interesting request....
"The contractor shall provide a dedicated telecommunications circuit using TCP/IP with a VPN over a private line with secure file transfer protocol (sftp/scp over ssh) initiated from NIST to a secure server at the contracter's site."

Everyone gets to proffit from the surveillance game.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by tnangela

Here's what I learned so far:

because a digital signal can be compressed far more than an analog signal. Compression allows stations to fit more information in the signal.

and that certain stations are capable of multicasting.

Multicasting, or broadcasting several shows within a single frequency

electronics.howstuffworks.com...

It's also interesting to note that the DTV boxes were so important that the stimulus bill had to include extra money so that more people could get the coupons for them. IMO it makes more sense to have people pay the full price for them since they didn't care enough to get the coupons in the first place, but since they're pushing the coupons it seems like they want as many people as they can to have them. Really it's just another tax for us, but I also can't help but think that they're spying or monitoring us with them.

And... our DTV box has turned on by itself before.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I was wondering this.

Why was Feb 17 picked as the day. That is kinda strange. Also, since this was contrived while the most powerful forces in the world are news and information agencies and they hate public television, Is it not possible since public tv is free and works or any tv, making us use a digital signal will take a huge number of the liberal poor out of the loop for a while.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
well, just last week my grandson was asking who the old guy was in the movie...my wife and I looked at him practically astrounded.

GS: "what?...am I suppose to know him or.. LOL

ME & WIFE: "ahhh.. yea Mr.Warmachine".(since he's into WWII movies)"

GS: "*looks at us with a grin, from a little embarrassment*

ME: "It's George C Scott!

GS: "okkkky.. but.. who is that.." another grin*

ME: "Ahhh.. the actor that played Patton in the movie Patton! wow...you need to REALLY start broadening your horizons. LOL"

Just last night.. guess what movie 'happen' to be playing.....

Yep and it's been going that way know for 2+years that I've noticed.....

tell me they aint looking inside our homes !!

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Hilarious - yeah the feds are going to look in on the few million or so people who don't have cable or a dish. And think of the logistics. You would have to employ hundreds of thousands of federalies to monitor the endless and endless hours of people sitting in their underwear watching American Idol (who would want to do this and how much would it pay). Oh, and maybe after a few years they may just by luck catch somebody smoking a joint in their living room. Makes me shudder. I served 8 years in naval intelligence and "big brother" (I love that term) has much bigger fish to fry. The average American yahoo is not that important. Any real bad-ass doesn't watch a lot of TV. Most of the comments here are tongue-in-cheek right? Right? Please restore my faith in the average American...

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by tnangela
I saw this very same thing when the surveillance backdoor was installed in XP. First you get some unique identification number. Then you get activation.

So you give the gov all your info to get a card to pay for conv box. So then the info given is matched to the uid of the conv. box...what are all those numbers that look like cell phone tracking numbers all over the place? ...On the box to the converter. On the converter. In the converter on the pcb.

Those numbers are the FCC registration number. All RF devices, including receivers have them. Nothing new, its been that way since 1936.

Ok so this is what I know. I searched for microphones and cameras and did not find any. What I did find is a power transmitter. It is based around U1 which is the power transmitting transister...which is connected to the aerial. I don't know what is transmitted. I'm curious if anyone is discussing modifications to these boxes? Is there any cool electronics modifications forums? First thing someone needs to do is attach a spectrum analyzer to it and find out (at)what frequency it is transmitting.

i102.photobucket.com...

That my friend is NOT a transmitter. It is the front end frequency synthisizer, or to put it in simpler terms, the units tuner module.

See those tiny surface mount transistors? Those are NOT RF power transistors. There is not a single component in there that would handle even a 1/2 watt of RF power. Also, an RF transmitter would utilize what is called a "ground plane PCB board". Meaning there would be a ground potential foil pattern throughout the pcb layout, surrounding each lead of each component. The VLSI IC chip in there would not be just mounted in the wide open like that, it would have a ground plane "hat" placed on top of it, and within its very own little canister at ground potential. Also there is no diplexer unit inside that canister. A diplexer is what combines an incomming receive signal and an outgoing transmit signal on the same connection without causing interference between the received signal and transmitted signal.

Here is a picture of typical SMT, or Surface Mount Transistors used for RF power applications.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d5a40436f0d7.jpg[/atsimg]

I dont see any of these in that tuner canister....do you?

Personally, I'm not using this invasion of privacy. Big Brother is here. Everyone needs to trade boxes with their friends and acquaintances (multiple times).

The setup screen is to allow the unit to detect all the digital stations that it can pick up in your area so as to set itself up...same thing with the old analog tv "auto station finder" feature that has been on every single television set since the late 70's. It used to be when you had to tune in the stations manually by turing a small knob and flipping a small switch between VHF-L/VHF-H/UHF to find the stations and program them. Then sets came out with auto program and did all that for you.

The digital converter box is no different.

So relax, that converter box is not a transmitter.

Brought to you by RFBurns, holder of a masters in Electronics Engineering, 25 year broadcast engineer technician, and avid fan of funny paranoid threads on ATS.

Edit to add picture of SMT RF power transistors

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 24-2-2009 by RFBurns]

new topics

top topics

join