It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you enhance your internet connection?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I don't know who told me this but i heard that u can tweak your internet connection so that it becomes like lightening fast (for cable modems at least). the government or the cable compant put some regulation on it so that they can make more money. it's all about special interests. if there is a way, how do u do it?

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
you can change the firmware on your cable modem so you can get higher speeds. this IS illegal, and you could possibly have not only your internet service terminated, but charges pressed and be fined. it has happened before.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
You can adjust the TCP receive window and the MTU. Go to DSL Reports and run the tweak test it will tell you what your TCP receive window and MTU settings should be based on your DSL or Cable connection speed. You can download a program called DR TCP that will make it easy to change the settings. Hope this helps.

Tweak Test

DR TCP

[Edited on 14-4-2004 by KillerD]

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Yes, you can do it, but it's a bad idea. Like Chris Rock said in his comedy special, "You can drive a car with your feet, but that don't make it a good idea!"

Depending on the type of cable modem you have you can either change the hardware or sometimes even reprogram it with software and it takes the 'Cap' off. However, once your provider looks at their logs for the month and notices that the subscriber with a normal account is uploading and downloading with T3 or faster speeds, the fun is over and you're in big trouble.

Stick with tweaking your own system like the RWIN settings and stuff and you'll be fine. But if I were you I'd stay away from hacking equipment that isn't yours.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   
my isp has uncapped down speeds, there sharing a t3 with a small city, no theres no slowdowns i get speeds of 500kb normaly and 650 when im lucky...

what speeds you get? (caped is ofcorse capped i get 23kb) with 7 unlimited pop3 email addresses for 30$

top topics

join