It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Subs Crash: British and French Boats Collided Underwater (All hands safe)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

NUKE SUBS CRASH: BRIT AND FRENCH BOATS COLLIDE UNDERWATER...

www.thesun.co.uk

BRITISH and French nuclear submarines which collided deep under the Atlantic could have sunk or released deadly radioactivity, it emerged last night.

The Royal Navy’s HMS Vanguard and the French Navy’s Le Triomphant are both nuclear powered and were carrying nuke missiles.

Between them they had around 250 sailors on board.

A senior Navy source said: “The potential consequences are unthinkable. It’s very unlikely there would have been a nuclear explosion.

“But a radioactive leak was a possibility. Worse, we could have lost the crew and warheads. That would have been a national disaster.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Submit General News

Mod Edit: Fixed all caps title

[edit on 2/15/09 by FredT]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Wow, that's a first. Actually admitting that they had a submarine accident.

Bravo.

While it may be embarrassing, I love that fact that they are not covering it up.

It makes me wonder how many of these incidents happened over the cold war years between the US and the Russians.

Since I've never heard of one I'm assuming that this great country of our cover them up, if indeed they did happen.

Anybody know if there have been US boats damaged in this way?? I'm fully aware of the Thresher and the Scorpion, but those subs went down due to operational failures, not collisions.

Thanks..SeeYA!

www.thesun.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Im thinking after the Russian Kursk fiasco it would be foolish to keep this from the public, all these seaman have families up to 250 of them, somebody will notice and make some noise. I dont believe the world of submariners is as secretive as you may think, at least not in this day and age. Still it could have huge consequences if there has been any leak. Top find.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
The Scorpion was sunk by a Russian sub in retaliation for the loss of the K-129. The book Red Star Rouge speculates that the K-129 was attempting to fire a SLBM at Hawaii to instigate WWIII after a takeover of a rouge KGB group. Only the safety triggers exploded (supplied by the US BTW) sinking the sub.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Hi Fred. That was fascinating, but you lost me there. It sounded like a quote from a Cold War novel (which it clearly wasn't). Forgive my ignorance - could you clarify?

OP: On the back of this excerpt:

Warships have sonar gear which locates submarines by sound waves.

But modern anti-sonar technology is so good it is possible neither boat “saw” the other.

I can only say this is bizarre. If true (-and this is The Sun-) this would suggest an enemy sub could just saunter along next to a NATO sub & eavesdrop/ do whatever it liked in the vicinity. Is that how bizarre modern warfare has become?

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
There is already a thread about this.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The search function is your friend.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
The Scorpion was sunk by a Russian sub in retaliation for the loss of the K-129. The book Red Star Rouge speculates that the K-129 was attempting to fire a SLBM at Hawaii to instigate WWIII after a takeover of a rouge KGB group. Only the safety triggers exploded (supplied by the US BTW) sinking the sub.

I've never heard that angle. I thought that it was a uncontrolled dive or something like that.

Thanks for setting me straight. I'll dig deeper (forgive the pun!!) and find out more about this.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by wolf241e

My reaction to this is.........

dang, there seems to be "accidents" all around, first U.S. and Russian satellites collide - NOW French and Britsh Nuclear subs collide..........

makes me wonder what is going on? Seriously............. first a "space" thing - which people have now talked about hearing sonic booms and orange lights in the sky,............. now subs............... what is going to "occur" in the ocean that will be blamed on the collision?

It just seems weird for these collisions to be happening within a few days time.

Yea, don't attack....... remember this IS a conspiracy site.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall

My reaction to this is.........

dang, there seems to be "accidents" all around, first U.S. and Russian satellites collide - NOW French and Britsh Nuclear subs collide..........

makes me wonder what is going on? Seriously............. first a "space" thing - which people have now talked about hearing sonic booms and orange lights in the sky,............. now subs............... what is going to "occur" in the ocean that will be blamed on the collision?

It just seems weird for these collisions to be happening within a few days time.

Yea, don't attack....... remember this IS a conspiracy site.

I hear you in that regaurd. There are a lot of strange things in the news lately, can you just imagine the things that we, as ordinary people, are not privy to??

Please go to this thread...www.abovetopsecret.com...

Schaden posted a few minutes before me and this is his/her topic now.

Please continue all discussion there.

To the mods...please close this thread.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

The K-129 has alot of unanswered questions. The book is a good read and there is alot of stuff supporting this guys main thesis

Main points include:

The position of the accident was fudged in open sources. It was much closer to hawaii

A ocean research ship noted radiation in the area and had its logs removed by the government.

Extra crew that had KGB ties placed on the ship at the last minute.

etc etc

I reccoment the book highly

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngelInterceptor
There is already a thread about this.

The search function is your friend.

Of course I used the "search button". We posted within minutes of each other.

I guess that he/she types faster...lol

I shut my thread down, well asked the mods to do that.

Mea culpa, Mea culpa

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
As noted:

This thread already exists here on ATS and can be found here:

Please post your thoughts and comments in the existing thread

top topics

join