It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ONLY Genetically Modified Seeds available in the US

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I think it is interesting that citizens of a country are not free to choose what type of food to eat. Freewill is long over as is freedom. How free of a nation can the US be where its people are not allowed to live a healthy lifestyle?

I would like to hear your comments on that.

Here an excerpt from the article:

People say if farmers don’t want problems from Monsanto, just don’t buy their GMO seeds.

Not so simple. Where are farmers supposed to get normal seed these days? How are they supposed to avoid contamination of their fields from GM-crops? How are they supposed to stop Monsanto detectives from trespassing or Monsanto from using helicopters to fly over spying on them?

Monsanto contaminates the fields, trespasses onto the land taking samples and if they find any GMO plants growing there (or say they have), they then sue, saying they own the crop. It’s a way to make money since farmers can’t fight back and court and they settle because they have no choice.

And they have done and are doing a bucket load of things to keep farmers and everyone else from having any access at all to buying, collecting, and saving of NORMAL seeds.

Link: www.globalresearch.ca...

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Here a link about the Monsanto regulations regarding GMO:

*** Monsanto is Behind Anti-Farmer Legislation to Regulate ***
Open-Pollinated Seed Cleaners

*** Ohio Bill Discriminates Against Seed-Saving Farmers ***

A bill has been introduced in the Ohio state legislature (United States) that would require registration and state-level regulation of anyone who cleans or conditions self-pollinated seed. According to the Rural Advancement Foundation International (RAFI), the proposed legislation is part of Monsanto's aggressive corporate strategy to police rural communities and intimidate seed-saving farmers.

"The proposed legislation is part of a dangerous trend to eliminate or restrict the right of farmers to save and exchange seed - all in the name of increasing seed industry profits" explains Hope Shand, Research Director of RAFI. "We weren't surprised to learn that Monsanto is behind the bill, because the company is already waging a ferocious campaign against seed-saving farmers and it's actively developing the controversial suicide seeds - or Terminator technology," said Shand. Terminator is a technique for genetically altering a plant so that the seeds it produces are sterile.

According to the Ohio Seed Improvement Association, the proposal to amend Ohio's seed law originated with agribusiness giant Monsanto last year. Monsanto is the world's largest seller of genetically modified seed. Under US patent law it is illegal for farmers to save patented seed. To enforce its exclusive monopoly, Monsanto has aggressively prosecuted farmers for what the company calls "seed piracy." But seed saving is illegal only if the farmer is saving or re-using patented seed. Farmers who grow soybeans and wheat, for example, typically save seed from their harvest to re-plant the following year. An estimated 25% of North American soybean seed is farm-saved seed.

Monsanto has waged an aggressive, Draconian campaign against seed-saving farmers in North America. The company has hired Pinkerton investigators to root-out seed-saving farmers and it is using radio ads and telephone "tiplines" in farming communities to identify and intimidate farmers who might save or re-use the company's patented seed. Under Monsanto's gene licensing agreement, the company reserves the right to come onto the farmer's land and take seed samples to insure that the farmer is not violating patent law.

"It appears that Monsanto's newest strategy is to shift the expense and burden of policing rural communities to the seed cleaners and state governments. If the bill becomes law, Monsanto's "gene police" will ultimately become state regulators who are working on behalf of Monsanto," explains Pat Mooney, Executive Director of RAFI.

"The Ohio legislation is unfair to farmers because it places an onerous regulatory burden on all seed-saving farmers and seed cleaners - not just farmers who buy Monsanto's patented seed," explains Shand. If the bill becomes law, it would require seed cleaners to keep detailed records on every seed cleaning transaction, to document the name of the farmer, seed variety names and whether or not the seed is protected by patents or breeders' rights. "In essence, the bill discriminates against farmers who are lawfully saving and re-planting open-pollinated seed varieties," asserts RAFI's Shand.

Ohio farmer and custom seed cleaner Roger Peters opposes the proposed bill to regulate open-pollinated seed cleaners. "Why should any farmer be forced to keep records on law-abiding farmers who clean their own seed?" asks Peters. "And why should public tax dollars be used to protect the patents of private seed companies like Monsanto?" questions Peters.

"State-level seed laws are supposed to protect farmers, not penalize them," asserts Sean McGovern, Executive Administrator of the Ohio Ecological Food and Farmers Association, a Columbus, Ohio-based organization that promotes sustainable agriculture and certifies organic farmers. "I can't imagine any use for this bill accept to enforce Monsanto's patents," concludes McGovern.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
This is one of the biggest and most serious threats we face today - in terms of our core health. This is complete control of food source.

Mr. Obama made a terrible error in keeping on the same agricultural chief that has let Monsanto have its way.

Donald Rumsfeld was once on the board and I would not be surprised if there are more very familiar names still present.
This is serious folks.

There has not been adequate testing and there has been some information that suggests a possible link to Morgellons - which presents itself in fibers growing from the body - that are like the fibers present in GMO.

Watch the WORLD ACCORDING TO MONSANTO -
video.google.com...#
and go out and get yourself some organic non-GMO seeds - if still possible

Pay attention. If the food source is controlled so is your survival.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo
This is one of the biggest and most serious threats we face today - in terms of our core health. This is complete control of food source.

I agree fully! Once our food source is controlled completely we lost....
And all indicators point in that direction. Also, what is labelled as "organic" in supermarkets isn't clean and pure either. It's contaminated as well just with different agents and chemicals.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
So what the hell are we supposed to eat?

What exactly is a genetically modified seed? Are you saying the seeds we buy in the US to plant are already pre-programmed to have malicious ingredients in them once they grow?

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diplomat
So what the hell are we supposed to eat?

What exactly is a genetically modified seed? Are you saying the seeds we buy in the US to plant are already pre-programmed to have malicious ingredients in them once they grow?

Here you go -
watch and read and weep.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Disclaimer: I have previously worked in said industry, but not for aforementioned company.

Primer in genetically modifying plants for those that might not know:

The idea is to incorporate a gene snippet that renders the plant immune, per se, to chemicals. In the case of Monsanto, the chemical that is used to spray over the top is generally RoundUp. Further examples would be BT corn, etc.

There is no deletion, generally from the host plant- the snippet is typically an addition only. The addition is used by specific agents that will cut the host DNA at specific location. The gene snippet to render it resistant to DNA is added, and another agent is used to close the gene.

That is a watered down version of what happens.

Because agents are added to open/close the DNA, the likelihood of genetically modified plants to modify you is literally non-existent.

The danger is the terminator technology.

Moral of the story: Buy 'heritage' seeds, store heritage seeds. Besides that, start having your own gardens. You'll enjoy home grown food, and when the SHTF, you'll be self sufficient.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Well, I guess best would be to go back and plant our food ourselves....

By the way, there are already communities emerging that are self-sustaining. They plant their food themselves, cook, store, etc...same with electricity.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by thegreatobserver

I don't think you are getting the point, if the seeds don't produce fertile seeds on its second generation you will only be allowed to grow once... Grass will not reproduce nor trees then the whole eco-system will crash and the land will become desert..I wonder if this has happened on any other planets...like say Mars.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Yes...people will find a way. Monsanto cannot win. But, they will then make war, kill millions of people, the rest will be hungry and eat whatever they give them.

I am working on having my own source of food, as the food we buy at the stores is contaminated, poisoned. Sadly, I am aware that as soon as the number of people who know this becomes critical for the masters of this matrix that we live in, they will start sensless wars, just to kill millions and enslave the rest. That is how they always do things, it is a clich'e. Did the same with WW I and the same thing again with the WW II. They will do the same thing again.

So, having your own source of food is not going to be enough. Living far from civilisation might help. But, why do we have to run? Why can't this world change? Why?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by greshnik

It will change!
The whole system is on the edge. One step forward and it's going to fall!

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I think the title of the thread is misleading. I own non-GMO seeds that I bought from a US distributor. However, your title says "ONLY GMO seeds available in the US," which just isn't true. There are plenty of outlets around the country providing heirloom seeds that were brought from Europe and other places that haven't been altered for over 100 years or longer.

Nevertheless, GMO food crops and this terminator technology are real and very serious threats that need to recieve more attention by everyone.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
You are right!
Well, the purpose of this thread was to actually make people aware of what is coming and what is already here...

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
TOM VILSACK

Now Secretary of Agriculture.

One of the reasons I strongly oppose Obama's camp.

Politics as usual.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegreatobserver
You are right!
Well, the purpose of this thread was to actually make people aware of what is coming and what is already here...

Yes, you are right. It is already here, and if things keep trucking along like they are now, food reliability will become a huge issue.

GMO products have already infiltrated the staple crops of the US--corn, wheat, soya, and cotton. There are so many food products made from corn, wheat, and soya byproducts, and manufacturers aren't required to label products as GMO or not. Truly scarey, when you look at possible relationships between rising autism and cancer rates and processed foods in the US, particularly the corn products, like HFCS.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I have green bean seeds that have been in my family for over 100 yrs. I grow them each year and set aside enough seed for the next. My grandmother through the years saved an over abundance of seed, dating back to 1980's and maybe even earlier. These seeds aren't fresh, but they will sprout. I don't know why I saved them all, but they might come in handy someday.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

That's the way to go!
Keep them you surely will need them....

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I've bought lots of organic and heirloom seeds. If GMO gets out of hand i will need to grow my food in greenhouses.
Australia recently allowed GMO crops into the fields after having it banned for so long.
Japan is the only country in the world that does not allow GMO's in the country.
Austria recently banned GMO after they found that people were losing alot of weight sickly.
We need to stand up to these companies so they stop polluting our earth for greed, power, and control. Its beyond evil and if i met someone from Monsanto i can bet when they uncloak themsleves they are demons underneath lol.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by Applesandoranges]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Even if the seeds truly were a benefit to mankind in every possible way, the fact that someone claims ownership and control of all those seeds is what's worrying. In one of these documentaries I watched on Monsanto some time ago I remember a woman saying that it could be the most destructive weapon, worse than guns etc. Any undesirables you can just cut the supply off. After they've become dependant on these seeds it would be difficult (impossible?) to go back.

The problem is not that they sell you the seeds, but that they own the seed indefinitely.

Farmer Homer McFarland is being sued for hundreds of thousands of dollars by the Monsanto corporation. His crime? Replanting his crops' own seed, as farmers have done for millennia, which violates the biotech giant's intellectual property rights, the company claims. Quietly, Monsanto's aggressive "seed police" have been suing farmers in 25 states for years, often settling out of court for huge sums, according to the Center for Food Safety's new report, Monsanto vs. US farmers

They've already created a mess with their crops behaving like weeds:

One of the hazards that's already come to pass with GM crops is that seeds from modified, "transgenic" plants are contaminating fields planted with traditional, non-GM crops. History provides ample evidence that this type of contamination and other unintentional plantings of GM seed may gradually create dangerous, invasive species-type monocultures on many of the most fertile, diverse and productive crop lands in the world.

www.organicconsumers.org...

At this rate I really am fearing that only GMO seeds will be around.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
If they kill you by poisoning you and what ever else they do to screw you then it wouldn't be illegal to pick up arms and get rid of the company. That would be just pure self defense. How much more do they have to do before this happens?

[Edit] Well, maybe not illegal but it would be the right thing to do.

[edit on 17/2/2009 by PsykoOps]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join