It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO - meteor like object with sonic boom above Dallas and Austin Texas!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.
reply to post by SlinkyDFW

As a general rule, the observer who sees the meteor extinguish closest to directly over-head is going to be much closer to the fall site than the observer who sees the meteor low down in the sky.

I'm not sure if they have worked out the trajectory properly yet, and it may just be random agencies clutching at straws by trying to follow the reports of where people think it fell. Where it actually fell is quite a bit more difficult to work out than most people realize.

Regarding your last question, yes, it probably could, but I honestly do not think that this is the case here, for the reasons I gave above.

It might be very hard for spotters to find fragments of this meteor (which seems most probable explanation). Recall back to the extremely bright bolide that was seen from Alberta to Manitoba earlier this year. It didn't take too long for them to say it probably landed "somewhere south of Lloydminster" but I think it was a week or two before fragments were found on a frozen pond. The rocks stand out against the snow and ice. It is much harder to find meteor fragments on grassland, cropland or ploughed and fallow fields - as I think characterizes terrain of this part of Texas.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Representing D-Town!!!!!!

lol.
Anyways, it sucks because i didnt hear no boom!! or see anything. Wish i would have payed more attention!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

Thought you might like to see this. I'm not sure it's part of what fell, but I find this very interesting.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

[edit on 17-2-2009 by sickofitall2012]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sickofitall2012

Almoast certainly nothing to do with space junk. That thing looks like it fell off the back of a tractor lol

The problem here is that the authorities that coordinate these searches are following the witness reports without realizing that whenever a meteor is seen to be apparently near the ground, this is almost certainly not the case

Unless you understand meteors and the fairly basic physics behind them, it's easy to see a meteor do things that it should not be able to do. If you want to understand how it works, follow the link above, which is quality information from one of the most well known and knowledgeable meteor experts alive today.

The same info regarding perception of distance when a light source in the sky is involved can also be applied to many other UFO sightings (especially 'triangles'). It should be the first thing that anybody interested in UFOs should learn IMHO, but thats a discussion for another topic...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Almost certainly nothing to do with space junk. That thing looks like it fell off the back of a tractor lol

The problem here is that the authorities that coordinate these searches are following the witness reports without realizing that whenever a meteor is seen to be apparently near the ground, this is almost certainly not the case!

Finally, re: seeing a fireball apparently land nearby, there
are a few tricky things to keep in mind. These "tricks" trip up essentially every non-meteor observer who is lucky enough to see one of these bright meteors: folks like mathematicians, engineers, and even professional (non-meteor) astronomers!

First, it is basically impossible for someone to "see" how
far away an object is based only on perspective, UNLESS they
also know the TRUE SIZE of that object! The reason we're so used to believing we can judge distances is that everything we see on the ground has a known size. But objects in the sky, and especially unfamiliar ones, can play real tricks on us here! (For example, basically all of us "see" the moon and sun as being larger when near the horizon than when they're high in the sky. But in fact, they're not at all!)

Second and even more importantly, meteorites do not "burn" all the way down to the ground! Instead, they "flame out" at a high altitude - usually at least 30km - and then go into what's called dark flight. Essentially, after falling below 30km, they become mere "falling rocks"! By the time they finally reach the ground at "normal" falling velocities, several minutes after "flaming out" and becoming invisible, they're generally not even very warm!

Source: DID I ACTUALLY SEE A FIREBALL LAND NEAR ME?

Unless you understand meteors and the fairly basic physics behind them, it's easy to see a meteor do things that it should not be able to do. If you want to understand how it works, follow the link above, which is quality information from one of the most well known and knowledgeable meteor experts alive today. Edit: I've quoted the most important part above.

The same info regarding perception of distance when a light source in the sky is involved can also be applied to many other UFO sightings (especially 'triangles'). It should be the first thing that anybody interested in UFOs should learn IMHO, but thats a discussion for another topic...

[edit on 17-2-2009 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.

Almost certainly nothing to do with space junk. That thing looks like it fell off the back of a tractor lol
url]

Well if this is from the fireball, the fireball was not formed by a piece of asteroid or comet. Hard to tell the size from the video but it looks several feet long and a rather brushed aluminum finish - no evidence of charring from re-entry. That would certainly lead me to suspect that the metallic looking cylinder is maybe a piece of irrigation pipe or something like that "dropped off a tractor". But that said, my curiosity is picqued by the comment that people should not touch the debris and contact law enforcement?? On the other hand there are no men in silvery suits and military convoys cordoning off this "irrigation pipe" which leads me to think it is probably not another "Roswell event" (had to add that!)

I have found it a little wierd over the last few days, the collision of the satellites followed by the announcement that the British and French subs collided earlier in the month. Maybe its pieces of some classified military weapon system put up in space that has been destroyed by the peace-making forces of the Pleidian Galactic Command. "Yah guys think you can just put anything up here in space are going to learn the hard way that we aren't going to let you get away with this anymore.. Yah hear down there?"

Anyways, either the media is getting even more incompetant or maybe there is some sort of "hush hush" thing happening.
[edit on 17-2-2009 by bluestreak53]

[edit on 17-2-2009 by bluestreak53]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluestreak53
But that said, my curiosity is picqued by the comment that people should not touch the debris and contact law enforcement?? On the other hand there are no men in silvery suits and military convoys cordoning off this "irrigation pipe" which leads me to think it is probably not another "Roswell event" (had to add that!)

I've covered this before, but the reason they have to issue the warning is probably to cover their own ass. In some cases, when junk falls, there's a danger that hydrazine fuel (pretty unpleasant stuff) may be left in the tanks.

I have found it a little wierd over the last few days, the collision of the satellites followed by the announcement that the British and French subs collided earlier in the month.

Just one of those weird coincidences IMO... so until someone finds proof of a link...

Anyways, either the media is getting even more incompetant or maybe there is some sort of "hush hush" thing happening.

They've always been this incompetent. What's even more scandalous/frustrating is that I see this happen almost every time where events like these are concerned, and there have been many chances to fix it, but they never seem to learn!

[edit on 17-2-2009 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I Saw it with my very own eyes

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
hey everyone - check this link out -

abclocal.go.com.../local&id=6664713

if link isnt working go to www.wabc.com

its currently numer 2 story called "Hot metal crashes through N.J. Business"

apparently a piece of hot metal came through the roof of a NJ business. they say it could have come from light trail tracks, but im not sure of that to be honest. The FAA sent out a unit and its not from a plane. could this be something related to what people saw falling in Texas? who knows, but i do think its kind of odd and should definately be explored more.

[edit on 18-2-2009 by ziggyproductions05]

[edit on 18-2-2009 by ziggyproductions05]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
UNT astronomers say they found 2 samples of meteor

DALLAS - Two samples of fresh material from a meteor that alarmed numerous residents when it streaked across the Texas sky on Sunday have been found in a pasture in West.

University of North Texas observatory manager Preston Starr and UNT's director of the planetarium and astronomy lab program Ron DiIulio said they found the pieces Wednesday about 5 p.m.

DiIulio said the pieces are about the size of large pecans with a crust that's black like charcoal.

Source

I'm not sure this was related to the daylight fireball, but it's possible. Either way, these seem to be meteorite fragments from a recent/fresh fall.

Edit to add:

More peices found. Looks like this is it after all

Meteorite hunters searching near West find what they believe was the source of Sunday’s rumble and flash in the sky

A reporter was talking with a pair of meteorite hunters this afternoon when one of them suddenly bent down and picked something up off the dirt, less than a foot from the writer’s shoe.

Moritz Karl quickly showed it to his colleague, Michael Farmer, who eyed it quizzically for a split-second before saying, “Is that … ?” Then, with realization, “That’s it!”

Source

[edit on 18-2-2009 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Yea, I heard this morning. Seems the mystery has been solved. I can't help but still have a bit of suspicion. Are they just showing us other samples they have found somewhere else? How do I know where they got those. Sorry just the conspiracy nut in me shining through.

Thanks for all of your great information. That video you posted showing the compilation of meteors was COOL.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
It could only be a UFO!!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012
I can't help but still have a bit of suspicion. Are they just showing us other samples they have found somewhere else? How do I know where they got those. Sorry just the conspiracy nut in me shining through.

I don't think so. What would be the point?

Fo starters, meteorites are rare and valuble. I doubt anyone in their right mind would 'plant' meteorites for random people to find. Would you leave a bunch of pure-gold nuggets lying on the ground?

Originally posted by sickofitall2012
Thanks for all of your great information. That video you posted showing the compilation of meteors was COOL.

You're welcome. Glad you enjoyed it

[edit on 19-2-2009 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Just to clarify, I meant meteorites they already had in their possession, claiming to have found them there.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
[Mod note - post removed at the request of the author ]

[edit on 20/2/2009 by Sauron]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   

That's what I meant too

Anybody could find them, so they would effectively be handing out free money.

Originally posted by imitator
Magic trick, like pull the coin out from behind the ear.... Ah! look what I have here.... same thing. meteorite was dropped on the ground while reporter wasn't looking. meteorite hunter becomes famous and meteorite is worth 10x as much.

the end

It's possible, but like I said before, why do this? What would be the motive?

Having said it's possible, it's also highly unlikely since we have two independent teams finding them so far, and there will likely be more.

There must be an ATS member close by who can try a bit of meteorite hunting?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
[mod note post removed at the rquest of the author]

[edit on 20/2/2009 by Sauron]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by imitator
It said in the article "a pair of meteorite hunters" and now we have 2 meteorites claimed to be found(yeah right)... Motive MONEY! and name in the media.

How would that work though? Are you saying these 'hunters' took ordinary rocks or meteorites from a previous fall, and then claimed to have found them?

Either way this would not work, since when they are analyzed, they will found to be either from a previous fall or terrestrial rocks!

Also, as more meteorites from this event are found, that possibility will soon evaporate. How would a couple of people be able to scatter rare/valuable meteorites over tens of square miles? Makes no sense, as I said before.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Photo from DiIulio and Preston Starr:

They found the two walnut-sized meteorites off a road in West, a town about 70 miles south of Dallas.

DiIulio has found other meteorites before, these pieces are special. “To get something from space ... That’s a once-in-a-lifetime thing,” he said. “And these are pristine.”

Source

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Mike Farmer`s Team Finds Three More Today 19FEB09

Source

That makes 7 pieces found so far.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join