It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO - meteor like object with sonic boom above Dallas and Austin Texas!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlinkyDFW
Based on all the witness acounts frmo the interviews that have been all over the TV today, and an apparant grass fire at about the same time this happened, it appears this thing came down somewhere in the vicinity of Penelope or Hubbard, TX, just North East of Waco, and south of the Dallas/Ft Worth area.

Have you taken into account that where a meteor is seen apparently low on the horizon, it is actually hundreds of km away?

Where would 2-300 km away put it?

B: It changes trajectory. It's very clear in the videos and undisputable. I'm no physics expert, nor will I succumb to any stupid "magnetic deflection theory" or "thermal barrier wave theory" or "a tornado made it change course".

Can someone explain this?

It could well be an optical illusion. Meteors are good at playing tricks on the eyes. Without the analysis, as I said before, there's no way to tell for sure.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Ok, for clarity.....

It deffinately is NOT a UFO (Unidentified Flying Object)

It IS deffinately a UCO (Unidentified Crashing Object)

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I also wanted to add...

Back in the summer of 2001, I remember when a meteor streaked across the NY/PA skies, right over my home. I heard multiple sonic booms, felt them and then heard the "sizzling" sounds of it as it streaked overhead. Sonic booms naturally accompany meteors as they start to break apart in the atmosphere. So, I believe, from the news footage...this is in fact a meteor, based on my personal experience.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Can't be a typical UFO since sonic booms were not heard
by Bill Lyne who saw one go overhear to horizon at high speed.

Well the boom would occur far away from Bill and perhaps not heard.

Some of the UFOs seem to go at normal speeds leaving trails.
img.photobucket.com...
A high flier that might make sonic booms if it were a plane.
Perhaps a plane outfitted with a secret sonic boom eliminator.
In that case the supersonic transport can now fly coast to coast.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

It does seem to possibly bow "downward" very slightly towards the middle of its path, but I suspect that that's due to the incredibly violent ride the meteor is taking as it punches through the atmosphere. A meteor hitting the atmospehre is a very violent ride -- hence the fact that friction cause it to burn up as it encounters our very thick atmosphere.

Good work Soylent,

You may well be right, although I suspect the apparent dip in trajectory may be due to camera motion.

Large objects moving at 20 km/s require great amounts of force to push them off the course they are traveling, but at the same time, meteors can react to air like rocks skimming along the surface of a pond, when the angle is low, which it apparently is here.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggyproductions05

It's all good ziggy - yes you did

We all want to see what it was as much as you - sorry if I appeared a bit unsympathetic, but I've been basically posting non stop on this forum since this time last week, and trying to keep up with events/many threads/sleep/etc... It's been a crazy week, and I'm just trying to keep things in perspective and on track.

Will try to keep your thread updated if/when I come across anything new, but I can't keep updating/repeating answers to the same questions in multiple threads indefinitely, so keep an eye on the others - chances are the info is already somewhere here on ATS in many cases

Related threads here:
Proof of UFO coverup from Texas on CNN
Satellite Debris Video?
Texans report fireball in sky, sonic booms
Possible Satellite Debris Falling Across The Region
Another so called Bolid!
Breaking News: Two Satellites Collide In Orbit

[edit on 16-2-2009 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Objects in the sky can be quite a spectacular display. It was probably a bolide meteor in very close proximity to the atmosphere.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
FAA says it was a meteor.

(Sorry if this story has already been posted).

FAA says Texas fireball was meteor, not UFO

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

understandable, appreciate the links, and if i hear anything as well will let you know. good work chud.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Last night I finally got a slowed, up close view of the so-called meteor over Texas. Do meteors spiral and turn end over end as they streak across the sky? I have seen many meteor videos and they are always clearly a round shape and non-reflective. What I saw last night was not round, in fact it looks to be a long slender shape, is reflective and then starts to cork screw, then turns end over end right before it appears to level out and become parallel to the ground. The images are more consistent with satellite debris than a meteor. Although I don't believe it to be part of a satellite and neither do authorities apparently. So what is it? The fact that it took them this long to conclude it was a meteor makes me very suspicious. It was like they said "Duh, what is it? oh, a meteor, yea, that's it." NOT BUYING IT! Have they never seen a falling meteor before? I'm surprised they didn't say it was a Boeing bomb or flares.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by sickofitall2012]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Its unidentified so it belongs here, and even if it was a piece of space rock, how did it remain so big after the heat of entry, maybe some rather dense mass we don´t know off?

Has anyone looked for it yet?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by sickofitall2012

hey if you have any footage of this close up to post that would be great. i do not have a good way of doing this or i would have already. this is very suspicious. we have only been told what it isnt, or what it "could" be. time will tell.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by bicnarok

I heard a report this morning that they are looking for debris, and asked that if anyone finds any, they are NOT to touch it. It could be dangerous. Really?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggyproductions05

This video clip shows a good close up of the spiraling at the :34 mark, then it leveling out at the :40 mark. I can't find the full length clip I saw last night, but I will keep looking. This is pretty close though. You can expand the screen size.
www.myfoxdfw.com...

[edit on 17-2-2009 by sickofitall2012]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I saw the object while I was headed east on Highway 84 in Evant, TX. It was in the eastern sky heading north. I only saw the last 3 or 4 seconds of the path. The video on Fox news shot from Austin has much more footage than what I saw, but I did catch the tail end which was covered by the trees in the Austin footage. I saw the object as it enlarged and grew brighter and then stopped glowing and left a definite smoke trail that remained for several minutes afterwards. The smoke trail ended high in the sky and did not reach the ground. The Penelope, TX grassfire connection seems plausible to me.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
CNN video mentions Stephenville and the Austin fire ball.

www.cnn.com...#/video/us/2009/02/17/mattingly.fire.in.the.sky.cnn

THE MEDIA

[edit on 17-2-2009 by ufo reality]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.

Have you taken into account that where a meteor is seen apparently low on the horizon, it is actually hundreds of km away?

Where would 2-300 km away put it?

B: It changes trajectory. It's very clear in the videos and undisputable. I'm no physics expert, nor will I succumb to any stupid "magnetic deflection theory" or "thermal barrier wave theory" or "a tornado made it change course".

Can someone explain this?

It could well be an optical illusion. Meteors are good at playing tricks on the eyes. Without the analysis, as I said before, there's no way to tell for sure.

C.H.U.D,

I had somefree time to research this a little more. Regarding your question above, most of the searches are being conducted in an area South of Hillsboro, TX, East of West, TX (real name of the town), and North East of Waco, TX.

This would put the object roughly 180-200KM's from the cameraman's position, with movement being from East to West.

The other credible witness report from Ponder, TX, North of Ft. Worth, TX, put the object at a higher trajectory, more or less 45` from the horizon, moving East to West, and his location is 120KM's from this area.

Based on the reports from the locals, and one farmer being "almost knocked off his tractor" it just made sense that this is the most likely position...(and the fire).

It's where they're spending most of their time searching....but it's a huge area, lots of farm land.

Here's a few Google maps I marked up. ( I was bored)

i735.photobucket.com...

i735.photobucket.com...

i735.photobucket.com...

Still looking for answers though, regarding one of my previous posts. Could an accelerant or propulsion system exploding after it was superheated cause this to change trajectory?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012
Last night I finally got a slowed, up close view of the so-called meteor over Texas. Do meteors spiral and turn end over end as they streak across the sky? I have seen many meteor videos and they are always clearly a round shape and non-reflective. What I saw last night was not round, in fact it looks to be a long slender shape, is reflective and then starts to cork screw, then turns end over end right before it appears to level out and become parallel to the ground. The images are more consistent with satellite debris than a meteor.

First of all, the close-ups are very zoomed in and blurry, so it's hard to tell what is going on, but yes, meteoroids can turn/screw. I doubt you'd see that though.

What I think we are seeing is bits of the meteoroid breaking away, and this can give the illusion that there is movement where there is 'none'.

Check out the footage at 14 sec (The Peeskill fireball) in this meteor compilation, and you can see the effect clearly.

The meteor does not 'level out' - see Soylent Green is People's post on the previous page (and my reply).

PS. it's already been established that this meteor was almost certainly an asteroid. Asteroids are quite slow, and can resemble decays, but this one was a bit too fast to be a debris decay.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.

That can go for space debri as well, I video taped a Japanese satellite entering our atmosphere back in the 90's. By watching it I thought it fell a few miles away, but I had learned it crashed into the Atlantic ocean, which is 1000's of miles away from my location.

I don't remember the name of that Japanese satellite but I could dig the video out and put it on youtube if anyone wants to check it out. It's a really good video, just by watching it looks like it lands not that far away.

I guarantee CHUD is probably right....

Those guys in Texas are on a goose chase. I might add that spotty fires on farm lands is very common.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by imitator]

[edit on 17-2-2009 by imitator]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SlinkyDFW

As a general rule, the observer who sees the meteor extinguish closest to directly over-head is going to be much closer to the fall site than the observer who sees the meteor low down in the sky.

I'm not sure if they have worked out the trajectory properly yet, and it may just be random agencies clutching at straws by trying to follow the reports of where people think it fell. Where it actually fell is quite a bit more difficult to work out than most people realize.

Regarding your last question, yes, it probably could, but I honestly do not think that this is the case here, for the reasons I gave above.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join