It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Gear Ending up in Pakistan Markets

page: 1/

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   

US Gear Ending up in Pakistan Markets

www.military.com

In the age of computerized high-tech warfare, it is not just American hardware available on the black market. Now there is also vital technology and information up for grabs and -- as military officials here and in the U.S. fear -- leaking into the wrong hands in this region where the Taliban and elements of Al Qaeda have a known presence.

I was recently able to purchase a U.S. military laptop for $650 from a small kiosk, which is known as the "Sitara Market," on the western edge of the spraw
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I found this article pretty shocking on how U.S. Military technology and secrets are leaking like a sieve from Afghanistan. Hard to believe with Afghanistan’s track record of chewing up invading forces that this is the war President Obama wants to continue, most especially in light of revelations like this. The article states how stolen U.S. Military stolen laptop computers often store information on weapon and vehicle weaknesses and maintenance problems as well as key areas where the U.S. Military fears its presence is inadequate to safeguard it’s own interest.

This is potentially great news for those looking on how to defeat forces of the New World Order but pretty bad news for U.S. Soldiers and U.S. taxpayers paying for this fiasco!

www.military.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
That's pretty bad news, especially if the laptops are stolen, as that most likely means they were not cleaned correctly, and anyone tech savvy could recover the data, not just people with electron microscopes. In this case even that's redundant, as the files were clear and still available for the reporter to see. I wonder how well they encrypt when they do? Last time I saw the type of encryption used by governments it was very old, the kind that most regular home PC's could break within a few weeks.

[edit on 15/2/2009 by RubberBaron]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by RubberBaron

That's pretty bad news, especially if the laptops are stolen, as that most likely means they were not cleaned correctly, and anyone tech savvy could recover the data, not just people with electron microscopes. In this case even that's redundant, as the files were clear and still available for the reporter to see.

I don't think in cases like this that encryption helps, since the machines themselves were designed to work with and on the encrypted information. Most of the codes needed to decipher encrypted documents are built right into the laptop!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Ha, that's terrible.

Anyway, I come with an update to this story, it appears the story may not be correct, heres a link to a blog claiming to debunk it;

voiceofwarriors.blogspot.com...

I never served in US military, so I don't know if his claims are correct, it would be good to get some input from people who have.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Anyway, I come with an update to this story, it appears the story may not be correct, heres a link to a blog claiming to debunk it;

Thanks for the post I will happily check out what they have to say on the subject.

The article I posted from Military.com was from an Associated Press Story which is about as main stream as you can get and no telling what political motivations went into writing the article.

The underlying trend as with this story as with all stories coming out of Pakistan right now from the western press is Pakistan bad! Pakistan need blown up!

I noticed today President Obama just committed another 26,000 troops to Afghanistan ontop of almost 3,000 that recently arrived.

I wonder if George Bush could have gotten away with sending an additional 30,000 troops without drawing down one man in Iraq to do it?

Interesting days...ain't no telling from where the pressure lies.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
That is awfully frightening. I don't understand how the hell all of these military goodies keep coming up "missing"....does our military not believe in keeping weaponry and laptops with sensitive material under lock & key anymore? Makes you wonder if this was just gross negligence, or if there are members of our armed forces hocking this stuff just to make an extra buck.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
The underlying trend as with this story as with all stories coming out of Pakistan right now from the western press is Pakistan bad! Pakistan need blown up!

You make an interesting point here....perhaps it's just part of a build-up to something bigger and far uglier. As Sam from Quantum Leap would say, "Oh boy."

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I noticed today President Obama just committed another 26,000 troops to Afghanistan ontop of almost 3,000 that recently arrived.

I haven't noticed that trend myself yet, but it would not shock me. I've been one of those people talking about the potential for stronger action against Pakistan than just drone attacks on camps. It winds me up a little when people say that's nonsense and will never happen, as Obamas advisors have spoken and written about this being a possibility. A lot of people just ignored that though because Obama is the 'anti-war guy'.

While writing this reply, I just remembered I did see a story about Pakistan, that they have made some kind of truce with the Taleban, that's the kind of story that fits your theory about now being the time they start the media campaign. I will be keeping a clos eye on the news outlets.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
lol.

no crap! Not like they can use it!

Do you think those sand trallops know how to use US Deodorant and toothbrush?

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by mpriebe81

You make an interesting point here....perhaps it's just part of a build-up to something bigger and far uglier. As Sam from Quantum Leap would say, "Oh boy."

Ever since the assination of Bhuto and the stepping down of Musharaff, Pakistan can not seem to catch a break. Between the bad press about Mumbai, the lawlessness in the Western Tribal Regions, the advent of Sharia law in some of those areas and the frequent cross border raids by U.S. arial forces against elements in the Western Tribal Regions it sure seems like Pakistans days of sovereignty are just about over!

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

I haven't noticed that trend myself yet, but it would not shock me. I've been one of those people talking about the potential for stronger action against Pakistan than just drone attacks on camps. It winds me up a little when people say that's nonsense and will never happen, as Obamas advisors have spoken and written about this being a possibility. A lot of people just ignored that though because Obama is the 'anti-war guy'.

One of the speculative reasons for the Afghan war was to ensure the building of an oil pipeline from the old Soviet Republic of Turkmenistan across Afghanistan and through Pakistan down to it's coast.

It is possible that the powers that be involved with that do not feel secure about the present situation in Pakistan and are looking to change it to ensure the fruition and stability of those plans.

Regime change seems to be on the American/British/Zionist menu when it comes to Pakistan these days for some reason.

Obama is a wolf in sheeps clothing. His time in Pakistan years ago speaks CIA loudly and clearly and he is far from the persona he has crafted in his personality cult. Look for him to further Bush's Mideastern policies with a gusto beyond George's ability in his own waning days in office.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by xbranscombex

no crap! Not like they can use it!

Some U.S. Military planners are certain that they are using it though. Supposedly some of the information on those laptops is security lapses along key areas of the supply route between Pakistan and Afghanistan that are being hit particuarlly hard. It never pays to under estimate any opponent. In my humble oppinion.

new topics

top topics

join