It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft bounty for worm creator

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Microsoft bounty for worm creator

news.bbc.co.uk

Since it started circulating in October 2008 the Conficker worm has managed to infect millions of computers worldwide.

The software giant is offering the cash reward because it views the Conficker worm as a criminal attack.

"People who write this malware have to be held accountable," said George Stathakopulos, of Microsoft's Trustworthy Computing Group
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Those of us that have dealt with an infected computer whether it is a Trojan , Add Ware , Spyware type of virus, know that it can be very tedious to remove. To be able to write or 'author' a virus thats capable of spreading to other computers amazes me. Especially a virus of this magnitude , I would find it hard to believe that an individual would be capable of this feat. Rather more likely a government . Good Luck with your bounty Microsoft....

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
If people can hack into government mainframes (like the British citizen who hacked into NASA) then I would say that this is definitely a pro hacker. I don't think governments would create a virus like this, they'd create an undetectable one for all we know...but not a malicious one that's just ripping apart pc's....that seems unlikely. There's no benefit plus I'm sure they're security really isn't all that its cracked up to be and they'd be at risk as well.

Its really not all that hard to create a virus from what I've heard, I have no idea how they would track it down though...Really its like a wind-up toy...You wind it up first but then it continues moving on it's own...until it stops (if it does).

What surprises me about Microsoft is that they are the leading software company and they cannot match the power of this virus. Offering a bounty in a way shows weakness...seeing as how they cannot find the hacker in the first place...

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
The reward is not enough. Did you see the story where the same reward was offered for the makers of three other trojans and they were never caught? Get up off your fat wallet Microsoft and make it a million dollars if you are really serious.

Edited for punctuation.

[edit on 2-15-2009 by groingrinder]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

microsoft can afford so much more..i mean seriously $250k wtf..make it $2.5 million then i'd be interested in it and perhaps give a tip off.

new topics

top topics

join