It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have Scientists Discovered a Way of Peering Into the Future?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   

www.newsmonster.co.uk< br />

Deep in the basement of a dusty old library in Edinburgh lies a small black box that churns out random numbers. At first glance the box looks profoundly dull, but it is, in fact, the ‘eye' of a machine that appears capable of peering into the future.

The machine apparently sensed the September 11th attacks on the World Trade Centre four hours before they happened, and appeared to forewarn of the Asian Tsunami.

"It's Earth shattering stuff," says Dr Roger Nelson, Emeritus researcher at Princeton University in the USA. "But unfortunately we don't have a box for predicting the future that we can sell to the CIA. We're very early on in the process of trying to figure out what's going on here. At the moment we're stabbing in the dark."

Dr Nelson's Global Consciousness Project - originally hosted by Princeton University - is one of the most extraordinary experiments of all time. It aims to ‘sense' whether all of humanity shares a single unconscious mind that we all tap into without realising it. Some might refer to it as the mind of God. But the machine has also thrown up another tantalising possibility: that scientists may have unwittingly discovered a way of predicting the future.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
hi, I did not post for a long time (I even had to register again) but I still try to keep up with you guys here. and I could not find that article anywhere on the site so I decided once again to take a risk and post it.

I find it a pretty important info. I do declare that I am the big supporter of the idea of "humanity shares a single unconscious mind". this is not a "web bot" project like (which is possible to get some valid data as well from time to time IMO) so please do not put it into same box directly.

please write about your ideas of the single human mind possibilitie. it could be answer to many questions - telepathy, hipnosis, after death expiriences, life after life memories,...

www.newsmonster.co.uk< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by czacza1

Unless there's any actual scientific information on this, I'd say that its totally bogus.

Its the eqvivalent of a magical 8-ball.

Plus, if this "sophisticated technology to generate two numbers" (hahaha!!!) could be influenced by the human mind, then how come a computer can even function properly?

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
"Whut d'ye ken it tis, Jock?"
"Ah dinnae, lad, lookes abit maagical tae me, eh?"
"Aye, aye, it'll be the naery gud workin's o' th' witchcraft, ah'll wager, like th' inter-nets an' thems tele-ma-phones."
"Aye."
"Aye."
"Weel, let's get tae smashin' it, then!"

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by merka

so you do ignore all the theories unless there is a scientific evidence in the background? well, I would say this is a kind of ignorance.

I am opposite. I try to consider all the alternative ideas even when they look silly to me. in most of them there is some part which really reflects the reality. and when you put all that parts together you can find your own picture of the world around you.

but it is your choice to accept only the facts given you by the teacher in the school (mostly already not valid BTW).
take care

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Sounds an awful lot like that web bot rubbish people tend to parade around ATS. Still i like the bit where they want to sell it to the CIA why not make some coin out of it.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by czacza1
reply to post by merka

so you do ignore all the theories unless there is a scientific evidence in the background? well, I would say this is a kind of ignorance.

Erm, it would seem like common sense, to me. Unless there is something to suggest a theory, then I discount it as fiction.

This is why I ignore people who claim that pink unicorns are actually what makes up beams of light, instead of photons.

Originally posted by czacza1I am opposite. I try to consider all the alternative ideas even when they look silly to me. in most of them there is some part which really reflects the reality. and when you put all that parts together you can find your own picture of the world around you.

but it is your choice to accept only the facts given you by the teacher in the school (mostly already not valid BTW).
take care

Then you are living in a world of make-believe. I'm sorry to be the cold, harsh realist here, but you're actually saying that you'll believe a crackpot theory on the grounds that it "some part of it reflects reality" without anything based in reality to provide you with a basis for this belief.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by The Last Man on Earth

ahh lol

star for that !!!!

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Depending on how the data shifts they can see "precursor" waves of major events.

The interesting thing, is that the guy that invented this didn't start out looking for a way to predict the future. He was trying to answer the following question:

How does the human brain function in "real time" when we know there is some "delay" in the transmission of information throughout the body? Do we perceive events before they happen to account for this "drift" in our time reference?

It is worth the read. I found it here a few years back:

you can know the future

and here:

GCP

I take it all with a grain of salt like anything else - at a minimum it is an interesting read!

[edit on 15-2-2009 by ACEMANN]

[edit on 15-2-2009 by ACEMANN]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Here are some remarkable citations from further down in the article ...

External Source.
Strange as it may seem, there's nothing in the laws of physics that precludes the possibility of foreseeing the future. Time may not just move forwards - but backwards too. And if time ebbs and flows like the tides in the sea, it might just be possible to foretell the future.

"There's plenty of evidence that time may run backwards," says Professor Dick Bierman, a physicist at the University of Amsterdam. "And if it's possible for it to happen in physics then it can happen inside our heads too."

As a consequence says Professor Bierman, forecasting the future may not just be possible - it's something we do routinely without even realising it.

"Time may run backwards" ...

External Source.
Bierman then devised an experiment to settle his mind once and for all. He decided to use a hospital brain scanner to peer inside people's minds as they were shown a series of photographs. Each person was randomly shown erotic or violent pictures, or neutral images of white fluffy clouds. Each of these pictures produced unique patterns in the patient's brainwaves. In effect, you could see inside the mind as it reacted to each picture.

What is remarkable is that the patients began reacting 1-2 seconds before they saw the images. This is clearly impossible, or so we're taught to believe. And yet it happened time and time again.

"... patients began reacting 1-2 seconds before they saw the images."

External Source.
Obviously sceptics would love to demolish Bierman's work but have so far failed to do so. Nor is his research a one off that can be casually dismissed. To make matters even more intriguing, Bierman says that other mainstream labs have produced similar results but they are too frightened to go public.

"... sceptics would love to demolish Bierman's work but have so far failed to do so."

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Some of this story is very credible, animals have a sort of sixth sense where they can detect disasters hours before they happen. For example, the asian tsunami, hours before the tsunami even occured .... animals went nuts and started fleeing from the coast line. Not one animal died, that was not tied down. So maybe someone figured out how animals know about these disaster and incorporated that knowledge into an electronic device.

Of course, we need some more evidence and I might add a lot of things in this story seemed well... Made up... Or taken directly from world events and used as proof.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
ill keep this brief.

the web bot has not manage to predict anything, occasionaly a big event happens, then they go back and say "oh, their was a spike that predicted this"

but its no prediction, its just random ... its the old think where if something predicts a thousand events, one will happen through chance and chance alone.

how many web bot threads have their been ... arent we all support to have been killed by earthquakes, nukes, comets by now ? .. of course, according to the web bot .

it is a very intresting experiment .. and ive done reaserch ... but after a long time reading about it and its predictions,.,, in my heart i believe its a load of balls.#

(the animal thing i believe in though, the earthquake in uk last year, my dog knew about it 5-10 minutes before it happened and was barking at the direction it came from, then acting very scared for no reason .. next thing i knew the house had a wee shake ... my theory is their just more in tune with the enviroment ect, and can pic up the initial tremors ect that we just wouldnt notice.)

[edit on 15-2-2009 by boaby_phet]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
there was a study a wile back looking at collective subconsious that was quite interesting.

They shown gave a group of people a crosword to complete. The next day they gave the crossword to another group of people, (the same crossword) and they performed better than the crosswords they did before hand (a crossword that no one had previously done)

They never met the people who did the crossword the day before, nor did they have any knowladge of them having the crossword, but yet they still performed better.

Its quite a famous study and i take it most of you would of heard of this, but never the less it is quite interesting how it shows some sort of colective subconsious within us.

However, the box predicting the future i believe it is all down to chance, which is pritty much the same as any other prophecies we've had in moden times, even notradarmus.

The more you predict, the higher chance something will happen that you have "predicted"

[edit on 15-2-2009 by Trolloks]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   

"There's plenty of evidence that time may run backwards," says Professor Dick Bierman, a physicist at the University of Amsterdam.

Love how they just throw this stuff out there and everyone is supposed to take it as fact since it's said by a "physicist at the University of Wherever".
What evidence, specifically? Cite your references, Professor.
Or, has there been a debunking of Einstein's relativity theory that I haven't read about ... either here or elsewhere?
Because according to ole A.E.'s works - Time travels forward. Yes, in theory one may make a time 'viewing' machine (no mass is transported, in other words) and look into the future or look BACK in time, but only as far back as when the time "machine" was first turned on. Time itself, however does not flow backwards.

Czaczal -
Sorry old son, but it's against the "Method" to just sign onto a theory because it feels good, or it appeals to your romantic side as way the world should work.
Yes, the people here are remarkably open minded ...
but we still don't believe in Santa. Well, most, anyway.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by LatentElement

well I do not belive that Santa brings me a present at Christmas but I do know that he really existed and this is a part I take from the Santa story to build my picture of the world around me. there is nothing romantic about it.

cheers

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ACEMANN

very good article.

below is a part of the article I found pretty interesting as well - it can be also a small signal of the possibility we disscuss here:

"More than 20 years ago the American brain scientist Benjamin Libet found a brain signal, the so-called "readiness-potential" that occurred a fraction of a second before a conscious decision. Libet’s experiments were highly controversial and sparked a huge debate. Many scientists argued that if our decisions are prepared unconsciously by the brain, then our feeling of "free will" must be an illusion. In this view, it is the brain that makes the decision, not a person’s conscious mind. Libet’s experiments were particularly controversial because he found only a brief time delay between brain activity and the conscious decision.

In contrast, Haynes and colleagues now show that brain activity predicts even up to 7 seconds ahead of time how a person is going to decide. But they also warn that the study does not finally rule out free will: "Our study shows that decisions are unconsciously prepared much longer ahead than previously thought. But we do not know yet where the final decision is made. We need to investigate whether a decision prepared by these brain areas can still be reversed."

see whole article here:

www.mpg.de...

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by The Last Man on Earth

thanks for a nice and valueable reply.

if you read my reply carefully you can find out that I state not to belive in a whole crack theories around me but I try to take from some of them the parts which IMO are logically explainable and with all these pices I try to find out what is going on.

the way you are dealing with it is the same way some dicoveries were treated in history. read great book of Bill Bryson "a short story of nearly everything" to find the examples of discoveries which were waiting for centuries to be rediscovered again.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I have heard about the Looking Glass Technology that would predit the future possibilities. I wonder if this is something like that. It is alien technology. I have read though that it had been dismantled because of the ramifications.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by czacza1

www.newsmonster.co.uk< br />

Deep in the basement of a dusty old library in Edinburgh lies a small black box that churns out random numbers. At first glance the box looks profoundly dull, but it is, in fact, the ‘eye' of a machine that appears capable of peering into the future.

The machine apparently sensed the September 11th attacks on the World Trade Centre four hours before they happened, and appeared to forewarn of the Asian Tsunami.

"It's Earth shattering stuff," says Dr Roger Nelson, Emeritus researcher at Princeton University in the USA. "But unfortunately we don't have a box for predicting the future that we can sell to the CIA. We're very early on in the process of trying to figure out what's going on here. At the moment we're stabbing in the dark."

Dr Nelson's Global Consciousness Project - originally hosted by Princeton University - is one of the most extraordinary experiments of all time. It aims to ‘sense' whether all of humanity shares a single unconscious mind that we all tap into without realising it. Some might refer to it as the mind of God. But the machine has also thrown up another tantalising possibility: that scientists may have unwittingly discovered a way of predicting the future.
(visit the link for the full news article)

yeh..thats right....make one for the CIA...god..their the last people who should have one..

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join