It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Someone Please Explain To Me - The Theory that Jupiter Ignited - while behind the Sun right now

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I am trying to understand this whole "theory" that is going around, that Jupiter "Ignited" while it has been behind the Sun. When it gets from behind the sun at the end of March, supposively we will be able to see this "second" sun.

First, I had NEVER even heard of this - Juipter having the energy to ignite itself. This is all new to me.....

Why am I seeing all kinds of things on the internet now - about this theory?

Where has science been, that says this "could happen"?

Besides that - where is information about "if that happened - what the affect would be on the Earth"?

So, I have many questions about it, I have not been able to find anything "concrete" about this theory, yet I have found it has been around for awhile - in science forums etc.

So, now I have to question, if this "behind the sun, Jupiter" has anything to do with our supposively being able to see "Planet X" coming out from behind the sun within the next few months?

I am very serious, I would like people to explain what this whole thing is about..... I am completely confused, due to it being a "whole new theory" I have never heard of before - regarding Jupiter..

Can anyone help out here?

Has anyone else heard this "Jupiter has ignited" position from scientist?

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Okay,

I just found, after posting this thread, a thread with a discussion of Jupiter igniting possiblities from 2007 here on ATS

link: www.abovetopsecret.com...

So I see, there has been "talk" about Jupiter igniting before......

so, I guess there has been "discussions" of something possibly occuring before........

so, why are some saying it has happened, and we will see the results of it in March when it comes back from around the sun?

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Jupiter does not have enough mass/pressure or high temperature needed for nuclear fusion so therefore couldnt possibly ignite.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by altered_states

what he said...

and if it did happen trust me YOU WOULD KNOW ABOUT IT..

Let alone the BLAST WAVE that would toast planet earth.. some people think Oh look now its a sun.. yea it is and NOW YOUR TOAST

Not going to happen and if it has YOUR DEAD ALREADY

woops forgot to add something

Earth could fit in jupiters red spot "many times"...

thats how BIG it is.. so trust me if that thing turned into a star we are up a creek without a paddel...

TOAST

[edit on 15-2-2009 by theresult]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Well March is in 2 weeks so I guess we wont have to wait long to see if the theory was right or not ;]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
It hasn't happened. It's complete bunk and nothing more! Jupiter does not have enough mass to ignite and become a second sun. Nor would we be able to ignite it with our current technology. If for arguments sake we could ignite Jupiter, it wouldn't burn for very long as it simply doesn't have the fuel. It's more likely we'd destroy the planet and in doing so, destroy ourselves.

Anyone who suggests otherwise is either a fantasy prone personality with both feet firmly out of reality, gullible - or off their medication.

IRM

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Thill

its not going to happen...

end of story, there aint going to be no second son, this is not statwars.. nice pretty picture of 2 suns..

Think of the amoung of POWER that would be unleashed.. that makes A SUN.. this is not some idiotic thing here.. its pure science

If indeed jupiter turned NOVA ie BLEW UP and turned into a star we would be ALL DEAD...

You would see a bright flash in the sky and following that about mmmm 8 or 9 minutes "speed of light" YOUR TOAST..

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Totaly agree here..

It has not happend and WILL never happen its a gas giant!! it has NOTHING on the sun

yes its BIG, But its not a sun nore shall it ever BE a sun..

And just to note as i did befor in agreement with IR

if and i do mean IF that thing turned into a sun - it would be TINY becouse of its mass.. and it would fade out like a little wimper.. its got NO fusiion that keeps it going in order to become a sun or sustain it as a sun.. and IF once again it DID or has the total Gravity of jupiter would change "hence" we would be toast .... no matter how one looks at it

If jupiter turned into something other that what it is.. we are TOAST

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
didn't clarke make jupiter ignite in "2010" with the monoliths engulfing it?

"all these worlds are yours, except io" or something?

as a sci-fi writer and scientist, i doubt he would make such a blatant "mistake".

besides, if it went up on the far side of the sun, the sun would protect us somewhat.

we probably would still know if it did tho.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thill
Well March is in 2 weeks so I guess we wont have to wait long to see if the theory was right or not ;]

Sorry bud but it can't even be dignified with the term "theory". It's even to lame to be called a joke!

IRM

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
didn't clarke make jupiter ignite in "2010" with the monoliths engulfing it?
"all these worlds are yours, except io" or something?
as a sci-fi writer and scientist, i doubt he would make such a blatant "mistake".
besides, if it went up on the far side of the sun, the sun would protect us somewhat.
we probably would still know if it did tho.

That's pretty corny mate. I hope for you're own sake you were joking! You do understand the term sci-fi and that what happens on the big screen is only actors in a pretend situation .... no?

Thanks for the giggle though!

IRM

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Im constantly stunned at how people can believe this kind of crap at all.

Don't you think if Jupiter was able to burn, it would have possibly ignited when the Schumacher Levy comet smashed into it creating massive explosions across its surface a few years back?

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   

dam! doesn't ANYTHING in the movies EVER work?

2nd line?

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by theresult
reply to post by altered_states

what he said...

Let alone the BLAST WAVE that would toast planet earth.. some people think Oh look now its a sun.. yea it is and NOW YOUR TOAST

woops forgot to add something

Earth could fit in jupiters red spot "many times"...

thats how BIG it is.. so trust me if that thing turned into a star we are up a creek without a paddel...

TOAST

[edit on 15-2-2009 by theresult]

WOW
is it really? are you trying to give me a lesson in astrophysics

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Hey man come on no offence but because you are just so adamant that it’s not going to happen doesn’t mean it won’t does it open your mind a little bit its annoying when people are so close minded

And so I don’t think it will happen either but im not saying that it won’t happen because I don’t know what will and won’t happen and neither do you

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Okay,

first everyone is posting these attack type posts.........

that is NOT THE POINT of THIS thread!!!

First, as I said......... I had NEVER EVEN HEARD of a theory like that before of "Jupiter Igniting".

OKay? so that is the FIRST base of this thread!!

Where does that "theory" of possiblity come from?

NOW - second................... WHY am I seeing in various websites.......... the thought that IT HAS OCCURED - while it has been on the other side of the sun right now?

I don't just want post of "What a stupid theory" - I WANT TO KNOW
WHERE that Theory comes from and WHY!???

What is the BASIS of the "theory"!?

[edit on 15-2-2009 by questioningall]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   

I'm gonna play devils advocate here for a second
(partly because I have always secretly loved this very far fetched idea)

Firstly the 'blast wave' why would there be a massive blast wave? The planet hardly has enough mass to ignite as it is, a blast wave would indicate that a large amount of the planet was ejected - so if that were the case I think this 'new sun' would of pretty much of blown it's self out instantly.

Also if there was a blast wave would it necessarily reach us with any force? The sun pops and farts all day long and it is far closer and far more powerful than this 'Jupiter sun' would ever be... It's something like 4 AU away from us at it's closest (1AU the dist from Earth to the sun) - and plus the Sun is currently between us and Jupiter, so would that not shield us?

Not ever gonna happen - but it is a very cool topic. I've always liked the idea that Jupiter is a sort of failed star - and had it actually been a star I think very little of it's energy would reach us, I think it would appear about quarter the size of a full moon or smaller and bright of course.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall
NOW - second................... WHY am I seeing in various websites.......... the thought that IT HAS OCCURED - while it has been on the other side of the sun right now?

Can you link a few please?

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Totaly agree here..

It has not happend and WILL never happen its a gas giant!! it has NOTHING on the sun

yes its BIG, But its not a sun nore shall it ever BE a sun..

And just to note as i did befor in agreement with IR

if and i do mean IF that thing turned into a sun - it would be TINY becouse of its mass.. and it would fade out like a little wimper.. its got NO fusiion that keeps it going in order to become a sun or sustain it as a sun.. and IF once again it DID or has the total Gravity of jupiter would change "hence" we would be toast .... no matter how one looks at it

If jupiter turned into something other that what it is.. we are TOAST

you are a little sure of your-self don't you think..
i would like to dissagree with you on this and say the the opposite..
infact both Jupiter and Saturn both display sun like properties. The reason I say this is that it has been found by probes that both objects give off a proton wind which is exactly what the sun appears to do so this would suggest that both Saturn and Jupiter are Sun's in their own right.. They both give off more energy than they recieve from the sun..

I find it kind of amusing the way people throw around the standard scientific explanations claiming them to be fact and lets hear no more about it thank you..

I mean what do you have to say of the proven scientific fact that jupiter is a dwarf star.. A star that failed to ignite and that comes from the same standard science that you just clobbered the OP with...

As to jupiter just after igniting on the other side of the sun. who knows yet but i guess we will soon find the truth..

peace

daz__

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by shane84
Im constantly stunned at how people can believe this kind of crap at all.

Don't you think if Jupiter was able to burn, it would have possibly ignited when the Schumacher Levy comet smashed into it creating massive explosions across its surface a few years back?

and i will add to this statement.. "massive explosions" that were INFACT bigger than EARTH..

do you honestly think that if jupiter suddenly turned into a sun "behind" the sun it would have NO affect on planet earth???????????

Im just pointing out this here.. IF it was the case then dont you thing the gravity of "jupiter" would affect earths OWN rotation around the sun

OH HELL YEAHHH...

BUNK totaly BUNK

jupiter is still the same as it was yesterday A GAS GIANT..

cmon people wake up?????

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join