It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latest on ET Life - BBC News

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
The galaxy has 'billions of Earth-like planets' according to the latest estimates published today on BBC News

WG3

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Sure, I can buy that - but what do you have to say about it WG3? What particular aspects do you wish us to discuss here? The highly fallible Drake Equation perhaps?

IRM

[edit on 15/2/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Honestly I don’t know what to believe anymore because one day im hearing there is no life anywhere and we are the only ones here the next say I hear there are billions if earth like planets although IMO I think that it’s more likely to be that there are billions of earth like planets of just other planets with life on them

we have at least found life on mars now anyway it may not be the life we was hoping for but there is life there so it seems that we are discovering the truth more and more

So I would happily put money on there being billions of planets and billions of species of life out there somewhere just waiting to be found by us

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anti - Government
we have at least found life on mars now anyway it may not be the life we was hoping for but there is life there so it seems that we are discovering the truth more and more

Do you have a link for that?

I wouldn't be surprised if microorganisms are eventually found, some of the tell tale signs are there but not seen any actual proof yet..

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by yizzel

well I just had a quick look around for some links and apparently we found it in 1976 aswell lol

Several scientists have found compelling evidence that Viking Mars landers did indeed discover life on the red planet in 1976. A re-examination of findings relayed to Earth by the probes some 25 years ago, claim the experts, show the tell-tale signs of microbes lurking within the Martian soil.

www.space.com...

This is from 2005

WASHINGTON - A pair of NASA scientists told a group of space officials at a private meeting here that they have found strong evidence that life may exist today on Mars, hidden away in caves and sustained by pockets of water.

The scientists, Carol Stoker and Larry Lemke of NASA’s Ames Research Center in Silicon Valley, told the group that they have submitted their findings to the journal Nature for publication in May, and their paper currently is being peer reviewed.

www.astrobio.net...

London, Jan 15 (ANI): Orbiting spacecraft and giant Earth-based telescopes have detected a haze of methane around Mars, which scientists say is a result of alien microbes living just below the soil of the Red Planet, first evidence that Martian microbes maybe still alive today.

Though some scientists reckon methane is also produced by volcanic processes, there are no known active volcanoes on Mars.

Furthermore, NASA has found the gas in the same regions as clouds of water vapor, the vital drink needed to support life.

www.thaindian.com...

[edit on 15/2/2009 by Anti - Government]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
@InfraRedMan
Surely, nobody really considers the Drake Equation do they? Current discoveries makes it more redundant by the day. Whatever, I think it's interesting that the Beeb has posted several articles on this subject in as many weeks. I suppose people might see this as another example of the softening up process before the big revelation. It's not far away I understand. Along with the world's governments, its educational systems and large sections of industry, the media is considered part of the conspiracy of silence regarding ET. There's palpable anticipation in some quarters that disclosure is just around the corner, so who better than the BBC to help pave the way. Whether you feel that way too is your prerogative and I wish you well. I'm firmly on the fence on anything ET. After looking for him all my life, I've seen zilch. I'm so annoyed that people can see ET manifestations on a daily basis. I guess I'm just looking at things the wrong way. So, I suppose I'll just have to wait till the BBC tells us it's all true. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening in my lifetime.

WG3

[edit on 15-2-2009 by waveguide3]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Anti - Government

Cool. Thanks for the info..

While there's strong evidence that bio-organisms are responsible for the methane in the atmosphere and coupled with the discovery of water does indeed suggest life could be present.
Still that's not exactly a discovery of life as such. Just more evidence of possible life.

Weren't the experiments on the Viking Mars lander flawed. iirc, the same experiments were done on Earth and according to those experiments, no life was detected. I should find a link for that..

Anyway like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if life isn't eventually found...

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
My personal, non-scientific opinion. It is not possible to go anywhere in, on or above earth and not find life. Therefore the probability that we are the only planet with life in the cosmos must be pretty damn near zero. Therefore I think it would be very surprising if we did not find that there is, or was, life on Mars.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
It's all very well finding "earth-like" planets, but how many of them have "earth-like" moons too.

Without a moon in orbit to create tides and the "ebb & flow" of an ocean, would one of the possible key factors in helping to create life on another planet be missing?

Another factor for the already long equasion or not?

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Some say that Man existed before the Moon was captured by the Earth's gravitational field.

I personally find that hard to believe, but if true then that proves the Moon isn't necessary for life to evolve.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Meh.. of course there is.

I am still amazed at the number of people that actually believe that Earth is a special unique little snowflake in the universe. It was the center of the universe! Everything revolves around US!

Once that silly myth was dispelled, people still astoundingly believe that we are the only planet with sentient life? Oh brother. Or, if there are others with life, none could possibly be more advanced than us! Or learn how to travel through the vastness of space quickly! Just not possible.. because we have not done it yet.

new topics

top topics

join