It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Union: Watch this documentary online now.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I have no doubt that it will become legal as states are reaching for more and more tax revenues.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
That was one of, if not the best docs on the subject I've seen. Far to often these types of films devolve into a celebration of being stoned all the time, this was a nice change of pace.

One question for the group is, the argument often given for legalization is the tax revenue made from sale, but how much would be sold of a plant easily grown by anybody? I mean, if it were legalized tomorrow, why wouldn't I just grow my own instead of purchasing a manufactured version of it?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vacume Tube
That was one of, if not the best docs on the subject I've seen. Far to often these types of films devolve into a celebration of being stoned all the time, this was a nice change of pace.

One question for the group is, the argument often given for legalization is the tax revenue made from sale, but how much would be sold of a plant easily grown by anybody? I mean, if it were legalized tomorrow, why wouldn't I just grow my own instead of purchasing a manufactured version of it?

When people buy tomatoes, which are easy to grow, do they buy them from the grocery store or grow them in their backyard? The vast majority opt for the store.

What about the people that use it infrequently or just on weekends? Why grow and hassle with the plant when you can just pick some up on the way over to a friends house for cheap?

What about the people that have no yard, live in apartment or have property without a garden space?

What about the quality? When manufactures make a product they spend tons of effort in perfecting the product so the demand is high. The high quality yields will be harder to grow than just buying them at a store.

Prices will be so cheap compared to what they are when they are illegal people will be excited about paying taxes for their marijuana.

[edit on 16-2-2009 by Reddupo]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Vacume Tube

You would... most wouldn't.

Even if weed became legalized, people wouldn't suddenly want to start "doing things for themselves". It takes a few months to even get your own setup running, we live in a need it now, gotta have it now world.

Weed can never be legalized, in a world where the answer to all our problems is "Go out and shop", marijuana legalization would be the downfall of our current society.

No longer would people buy the endless stream of junk that clutters our homes and our landfills. No longer would a mid-life crisis be solved by "buying a Porsche". No longer would families get together over the holidays so they can "buy eachother things". No longer would a man with no criminal record, be viewed as a criminal.

MAKE NO MISTAKE, ITS NOT A WAR ON DRUGS. ITS A WAR ON PERSONAL LIBERTY - Bill Hicks

Peace

[edit on 16-2-2009 by TheRealDonPedros]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Oregon is creating a voter initiative to vote for the legalization and regulation of Cannabis:

Add this to the list of "another reason to consider moving to Portland." A statewide initiative is being launched in Oregon this week to legalize marijuana and to sell it as a taxable, controlled substance at Oregon stores, similar to alcohol. The initiative needs over 80,000 signatures to make the cut for a statewide vote in 2010.

If the ballot measure passed and Oregon were somehow able to get around the Feds and DEA, the Oregon Liquor Control Commission would be in charge of sales and licensing "approved individuals to cultivate the product for sale." And just like all those fine Oregon pinot noirs and microbrews, you'd have to be 21 or over to purchase pot. Supporters say that Oregon would collect millions of tax dollars annually on marijuana sales if the ballot passed.

seattlest.com...
www.cannabistaxact.org...

This is very interesting. Obama has stated he would not use federal resources to undermine state laws.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Reddupo

There going to need to legalize cannabis when all the beer drinkers in Oregon stop drinking and start smoking due to the new 1900% increase in beer tax.

Peace

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Reddupo

Excellent analogy. While my girlfriend does grow Tomatoes and a few other things, I purchase a fair amount of them as well.

Originally posted by TheRealDonPedros
reply to post by Vacume Tube

You would... most wouldn't.

Even if weed became legalized, people wouldn't suddenly want to start "doing things for themselves". It takes a few months to even get your own setup running, we live in a need it now, gotta have it now world.

Excellent point. I think the idea of grow what you can use and use what you can grow fits nicely into this scenario. And the Bill Hicks quote is excellent.

As a taxpayer and U.S. citizen I'm outraged at the loss of industrial hemp. It's a great fiber plain and simple. You ever go to a town where there's a paper mill? Disgusting.

It seems to me the legalization movement is just as splintered as the UFO Disclosure movement. Does anyone else notice the similarities? It seems to me because these groups can never come together and agree on the details their overall cause suffers.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
THE PARTY's OVER is the title of Richard Heinberg's book regarding the decline of industrial civilization when energy resources decline... like oil.

Well, NOW what do we do? New tribalism - three day parties, ritual
and laughter.

Let the urban tribes begin - the use of herb could alleviate
the angst of not having the dinero to buy every dang thang.

Eating, imbibing, dancing and generally carousing together may be more
healthy anyway than tv dinners and comfort foods.

Or as they said in the 60's+ - I'd rather have pot and no money than
money and no weed!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Just posted this in the Phelps thread, gave me a chuckle:

Alcohol and cannabis use as risk factors for injury

Results

Alcohol use in the six hours prior to injury was associated with a relative risk of 3.00 (C.I.: 1.78, 5.04) compared with no alcohol use, a dose-response relationship also was found. Cannabis use was inversely related to risk of injury (RR: 0.33; C.I.: 0.12, 0.92), also in a dose-response like manner. However, the sample size for people who had used cannabis was small. Simultaneous use of alcohol and cannabis did not show significantly elevated risk.

Conclusions
The most surprising result of our study was the inverse relationship between cannabis use and injury. Possible explanations and underlying mechanisms, such as use in safer environments or more compensatory behavior among cannabis users, were discussed.

www.biomedcentral.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Reddupo

Awesome find Redduppo!

It doesn't surprise me in the least bit though. Best way I heard this described by someone (it was about driving but can be applied for this too) is that you are more worried about what could go wrong, so you focus more intensely on not screwing up.

Jah bless Cannabis induced paranoia

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
See i made a totally legit thread about industrial hemp and all its uses, there was a great conversation going on about it talk of reform back and forth some talk about growing for the government ect ect, and the thread was locked and sent to rats by the site owner himself.. And it was later revealed by him that the thread was preemptively locked and move in anticipation of the conversation swaying towards marijuana and legalizing ect ect... lol this thread is start to Finnish about growing it marketing it and legalizing it.

And here it stays... me wonders? Dont get me wrong, im happy it still exists .

Im just still bitter.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I saw this movie over the weekend. It's a great movie for anyone who wants to see how governments lie and manipulate scientific research to their own benefits.

It also makes you question important issues surrounding health treatments.

I found it just a little one sided, but still highly recommend viewing, especially if you have an interest in the subject

video.google.com...

[edit on 3-8-2009 by woodwardjnr]

[edit on 3-8-2009 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I just came across this flick. I must have missed this thread last year. Thought I might start a thread on this in the drug forum but this thread is here, I'll just bump it up from the archives.

Good movie. It has become such a ridiculous argument as there are no cases of anyone, anywhere, killing themselves from cannabis. It doesn't make you do stupid things other than eat too may chee-tos. Yada yada, on and on it goes.

They supposedly legalized it here, medically that is, and from what I understand it would be more a pain in the rear to go through that process to get it than to do it illegally. I didn't spend too much time on it as it's not something I'm going to do but that was my impression after a few minutes of searching around. Infinite red tape, screw that. It's bad enough I have to deal with the dmv just to drive a car, I wouldn't go through that process multiplied to get pot.

But that's what they want, so that's what they get. It's more profitable to TPTB this way and we all lose out.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join