It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trade a gun for a rose in SC on Valentine's Day

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Trade a gun for a rose in SC on Valentine's Day

hosted.ap.org

Police in South Carolina gave away roses on Valentine's Day. All you had to do to get one for your sweetie was turn in a gun.

Hoping to get the weapons off the streets with the "Guns for Roses" program, authorities in two central South Carolina cities set up a program where anyone who turned in a gun received a free rose and a Best Buy gift card.

At a Columbia church, five cars lined up to give away guns before the exchange had even started. At the end of the day, Columbia area police had collected 191 weapons and police in Sumter collected 32.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Wait... what?

No offense to anybody, but who in their right mind, in this day and age with all the troubles in the world, freely gives away their gun(s) for something that rots and dies in less than a week?

It has become clear to me over the past year or so that the US government is becoming increasingly uncomfortable about the citizens being so well armed, so perhaps gimmicks like this event will become more commonplace as they try and find new ways to make US citizens give up their guns.

Don't fall for it. Really, your weapons are the only barrier left between you and a totalitarian regime.

Cowan said gun donors were young and old, men and woman. Many had a big smile and some said it was a relief to get rid of the weapons.

That's right. Smile, take your token gift and return to your work camp.

hosted.ap.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15-2-2009 by fooffstarr]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
To be honest, most people i see give away their guns are criminals or the criminal minded....like the blacks in oakland(not racist)
IT IS A GOOD PROGRAM for these type of people, they DO NOT need the weapons, trust me. All they use it for is crime.
Most of these promotions are for inner cities or cities where crime is high or is rising.

And besides, an intelligent person who has no crime record would NOT give in their guns. So this is of no worry to the people like us who know guns are to be used for defense and not crime.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
It never amazes me how stupid people can be.

What a horrible idea and a commy program.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I wonder if something like that is real, or a staged event to entice others to do the same.

Dumbest thing I've ever heard of. I think they are getting scared.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Why would anyone sane turn a gun in for a rose?

A gun= hundreds of dollars

A single rose = 2 or 3 bucks

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Geez, you seen the price of weapons these days?? It's kinda making me sick, but demand is driving prices higher and higher, from what I am seeing.

Those recipients of said 'donations' must be getting rich.

Why, oh why did I wait so long?

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Maybe I'm just stupid, but handing in 100+ dollar piece of hardware for some rose you could get for 5 bucks sounds like a bad deal to me.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Awesome business idea... definitely worth doing it in Chicago or NY... undoubtedly liberals of meagre intelligence will come and give you a gun worth hundreds of dollars for a rose...

Then you just sell the gun on to dealers for a tidy profit; and the Mayor of those cities will probably also give you the keys for running what looks like an anti-gun program!

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lazyninja
Maybe I'm just stupid, but handing in 100+ dollar piece of hardware for some rose you could get for 5 bucks sounds like a bad deal to me.

Well the article did say they got a $100 gift card for a handgun, $50 for rifle or shot gun... I imagine in inner city areas there are so many handguns that have been passed around after so many crimes that they have a history... The more a gun gets used (for crime) the cheaper it gets to buy on the streets... And also how many of those guns were just a dangerous to the guy firing them as the guy your firing em at??

I bet the ballistics experts are working overtime right now making all sorts of links between crimes... And I just bet'ca every vehicle had the reg plate snapped by a covert camera... Every face was also snapped... Those vouchers are all have unique identifiers - when they get used the cops will probably know about it.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Aha, I made the mistake (yet again) of not reading the actual article link. Lazyninja strikes again.

Still this is just disarmament under another name, and I frown in it's general direction.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Here's a better deal.

Buy Diamonds and get a gun.

Eau Claire - Valentine's Day shoppers are getting more 'bang' for their buck at one Eau Claire store.

It's an unusual combination. Buy a pair of diamond earrings, get a free gun.

General Coin and Gun Exchange owner Brian Zinn says since "guys like guns and girls like diamonds," he would "mesh the two together this year."

He says some wives have been sending their husbands into the store to take advantage of the 'bang bling' deal.

Zinn says if you buy a $400 pair of diamond earrings, you can pick any gun in the store worth under $300.

The free gun deal runs through Valentine's Day.

www.jsonline.com...

[edit on 15-2-2009 by Tyr Sog]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Fox news was just covering this. They had a giggling reporter commenting how romantic is that...

MSM sure knows how to spin things eh?

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

No....Gov divides them amongst their "Security Teams" so they have plenty of backups...

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by thebeast2012
To be honest, most people i see give away their guns are criminals or the criminal minded....like the blacks in oakland(not racist)
IT IS A GOOD PROGRAM for these type of people, they DO NOT need the weapons, trust me. All they use it for is crime.
Most of these promotions are for inner cities or cities where crime is high or is rising.

And besides, an intelligent person who has no crime record would NOT give in their guns. So this is of no worry to the people like us who know guns are to be used for defense and not crime.

That rationale seems baffling to me, why would criminals, people who use guns as lifestyle accessories or tools, be more likely to hand their guns in than a regular person who has kept a gun in their safe for x amount of years, and decided they dont really need it?

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Guns for Roses

Guess the fear of "The Peacemaker" wasn't doing enough to deter crime in the midlands of South Carolina, so they now try and get people to turn in the guns for a Best Buy gift certificate and a rose.

The Tactical Team

Complete with a belt fed 50 cal. And they look eager to use it too.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

Originally posted by Lazyninja

Well the article did say they got a $100 gift card for a handgun, $50 for rifle or shot gun... I imagine in inner city areas there are so many handguns that have been passed around after so many crimes that they have a history... The more a gun gets used (for crime) the cheaper it gets to buy on the streets... And also how many of those guns were just a dangerous to the guy firing them as the guy your firing em at??

I bet the ballistics experts are working overtime right now making all sorts of links between crimes... And I just bet'ca every vehicle had the reg plate snapped by a covert camera... Every face was also snapped... Those vouchers are all have unique identifiers - when they get used the cops will probably know about it.

Yes they are working overtime right now tracing them and doing ballistics on them... it said so in the article.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
This turn in your gun program was on Fox news and it took place in four cities and its not the first time...............

I am sure they are testing the waters to see how easy it will be during martial law.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
My wife bought me a new Mossberg 300A tactical 12 guage shotgun for Valentines day

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Like to see how many of these guns were operational.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join