It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White dust on toothbrushes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I went out and bought some toothbrushes, since the ones we had were pretty old. I bought them from a pretty big-name store.

When I brought them home, they had a fine dust on them. When I pinched some between my fingers, it felt like ground glass (I had worked with ground glass on an art project before).

Anyway, I'll get pictures of the dust tomorrow when my boyfriend brings his camera to my house.

I'm seriously freaking out about this. I wouldn't be so scared, were it not on 2 different brushes, from different companies!

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Test some of it and see if it melts, if it melts or burns like plastic, it may just be leftovers from manufacturing. If it doesn't, dunno.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

I will do that. Putting it in the microwave should work, right? Or should I put it in a pan over the stove?

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sadisticwoman

Pan over a flame would be best, or maybe a spoon. Microwave probably wouldn't warm it enough.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

Just tried it in a spoon. It doesn't melt.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Well, definitely keep us updated on whatever this white dust is... My bet, crack. JUST KIDDING!!

I dunno.. It would seem weird if it's something dangerous, since it's not just one company's brushes... I mean, it wasn't simply neglectfulness on one employees' part.

One question, were they made in China?

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   

That is very disturbing.
And for it to be on toothbrushes from different companies, very odd. Can you take it somewhere to be tested?

Btw, your avatar is spot on - "rights are the currency of the oppressed."

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Er, yes, they were.

I feel bad if all of this is because of Chinese neglectfulness. But they were indeed both made in China.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
You say you are "freaking out" about this ... I say, follow your gut hunch until it can be proven otherwise. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

I can't find out if anthrax powder feels like crushed glass or not. This link, while helpful, didn't answer my question. www.ki4u.com...

It's better to be safe than sorry though; so, call your local sheriff or police dept. and ask them who the city or county authority is that would be able to answer the question - "What IS this dust?"

I did find a lot of webpages on recycled crushed glass and it's being used in all sorts of things, including toothbrush holders and construction.

What is the name of the big store?

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

CVS/Pharmacy. They're not WalMart big, but they're getting there.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Has your local CVS Pharmacy been recently remodeled or recently under construction?

Does baking soda feel like cruched glass to you personally? How would you describe the feeling of baking soda? Could a family member have used baking soda ( a common but not dentist advised toothpaste substitute because it scratches off tooth enamel) on both of the toothbrushes?

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

These are brand new toothbrushes, that I opened when I got home. The dust was in the bristles.

It has not been remodeled. And baking soda feels more powdery, like flour, to me. Ground glass is pretty coarse.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   

I'm out of ideas, sorry. Please do let us know what it turns out to be ... even if it's mundane. And don't throw the outer packaging away yet.

You might also phone the pharmacy themselves and alert them (so they can take them off the shelf) or you might even get a reasonable explanation.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
any signs of tampering on the package?

You might want to return them to the store too

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Take it back to the store so they can send it to the lab and investigate it. They have to do this when you complain especially ask them to do this or you will threaten media attention. Write a letter if you do not want to do it verbally.
They have to remove all tainted products for the safety off the consumers and not get away with it.
Basically everything you buy now is made in China because distributors get it so cheap.
Take it back immediately and ask for a refund also its your right.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I work for a CVS, near Greenwich CT. Been with the ompany for 14 years now. Ive used just abuot every cvs toothbrush ever made, except the synthetic britsles..and i belive i too, have found light dust in some of them, over the years...others none. Well, i washed them off, and never got sick! I assumed it was manufacturing leftovers fom packaging, and/or fromt he machinery used tomake the toothbrushes.
Well, if yuo suspect its glass, put them on paper towel and put in microwave for like 15 minutes, see if dust pops, shatters exploes..then yeah ide be somewhat concerned. Obviously, if yuo suspect anthrax, coc aine( VERY unlikely) then yuode have to have experts test it. Makes ya wonder though, with the way cops and jsutice system operate today, theyde prob pin it all on you, making it look like yuor the contamint planter/drug user. Just my observation with a sick twist of humor
thats all

I prob wouldnt worry to much about it...wash it off, have it steamed or dishwashed maybe, and use with confidence

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I think the dust is not so dangerous, may be it's a plastic dust from the manufacturer.

new topics

top topics

join