It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Birthday Menu - Help!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
hi,

I am trying to organise a 30th birthday party for my husband - but have No idea what to serve. Initially I was thinking of a bbq and ribs but i don't want to slave in the kitchen when everyone mingles...

It is definately not a black tie affair so i cant do cocktails but more along the lines of a backyard do ... Any suggestions for menu items that i can prepare ahead of time would be greatly appreciated.

Appreciate all the help!!

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
well we quite often have bbq's and the like, most can be prepared ahead of time so you can enjoy the day more.

a platter is a great starter for snacks. its so much better than a few bags of chips and peanuts.

we get a nice board or platter and put fetta cheee, blue veign, cheddar, brie/camombert, a sweet chilli cream cheese, some pitted olives, sundried tomato, a good cracker biscuit pack, and anything similar to that which you or your guests may like.
ham, pepperoni slices etc all go well on it too.

the platter is about various flavours and textures. its not just cheeses.

then you can prepare some chicken satays the night before.
soak bamboo skewers in warm water for 20min, feed on chicken chunks and/or capsicum and onion slices... pour over a good marinade sauce or a dry rub type marinade, cover and leave in fridge overnight.

some lamb chops, sausages, patties, a bit of steak (either regular or marinated steak)
you can make your own crumbed chicken fillets, bbq ribs or whaever you like.

a good salad - eg: ceaser, italian etc.

a whole fish, stuffed with slices of lemon, herbs, garlic etc. wrap in foil.
about 10min on the bbq, then turn and cook another 10min on the other side.
fish meat will slide straight from the bone and is super delicious.

remember: simple food is the best and easiest. and everyone enjoys it. and its less work in the kitchen for you.

slaving over a stove for 4hours to do a 4 course banquett is usually more trouble than its worth for your average fun get together.

so prepare your food the night before and spend more time enjoying the gathering.
quality disposable paper plates/forks etc will save you a tonne of clean up time too.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Two words:

Crock Pots

Lots of things you can make in these ahead of time...

Sandwich Rings or long monster subs....platters from different restaurants, etc.

If you do barbeque, don't do chicken or ribs, do things that cook faster (i.e. steaks, burgers, hot dogs)....

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I second the antipasti board...it just depends on your taste though. If your guests are more the bbq type by all means, go for it! BBQ food is easy too-especially if your husband and his buddies grill while you can prep all the meat and side dishes.
Me, when I have people over I too like to do lots of breads (like french baguette and flatbread for example) with butter and olive oil for dipping. Then I like to do cheeses, crackers, hummus, olives...whatever you like. People love this. A big salad of your choice..sometimes I offer two its so easy....and grilled chicken with lemon pasta...mmm

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
ooohhh the platter sounds great - and i can marinate meats for the bbq grill ahead of time and make crock pot ribs. You guys are fantastic!

so far i think i will do the following:

Meats:
Marinated lamb chops & beef steaks for the grill
crock pot bbq chicken with lebanese garlic sauce
Satay chicken skewers
crock pot ribs

Platters:
cheese platter
fruit platter
sour dough bread with dipping sauce of some sort
baked potatoes with garlic sauce

Finger Food:
Grilled cheesy mushrooms
Won ton wrapper sausage & cheese cups
canapes: cheese & mussels
garlic pizza fingers
mini samosas with tomato sauce

Salads:
thai beef salad
egg & potato salad
coleslaw or a creamy cucumber salad

Dessert:
Cake
Cheese Cake
brownie trifle
triple choc brownies

any suggestions on the food line up would be much appreciated

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Sounds great! What time do we come over?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

lol @ gazrok - if your in sydney then keep last weekend of march free.

new topics

top topics

join