It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revoke Doctor 'Octo-Mom's' License

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
With all that has come out about this woman, the issue that stands out most to me is not with her, but with the doctor who plugged her with the sperm that is allowing her to besiege the system with her 'needs'.

Why wasn't she psychologically evaluated? Why weren't her motives questioned? This is absolutely unethical on the doctor's part and a violation of his Hippocratic oath. Because he didn't consider the well being of the children that would be the result. A disturbing example of the 'mad scientist' mentality that pervades the medical field.

Doctor's at one time held a well-deserved place in society not because of their skill, but because of their adherence to a standard of behavior. Somewhere along the line that seems to have been forgotten.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Do you have a link to the story? I have not heard of this.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Here's one

www.cnn.com...

And here's an article discussing the ethics

www.cnn.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
And here's another about her asking for public donations via the internet

www.cnn.com...

[edit on 14-2-2009 by TravelerintheDark]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Do you think there will be a tv show?.. there is already Jon and Kate plus 8.
I'm sure she is getting all kinds of donations by suppliers for advertising should she choose to make a "documentary".

I can barely spread my selfish time between two kids.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

Well, she apparently has a publicist and an agent, but the general public tone seems to be one of outrage over sympathy. I'm not sure she's going to get what she expects out of this, except for the brood she's so desperately seemed to want.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TravelerintheDark
And here's another about her asking for public donations via the internet

www.cnn.com...

[edit on 14-2-2009 by TravelerintheDark]

and what a website she has.

thenadyasulemanfamily.com...

"leave a comment" (but you cant read what others have said)

"make a donation" (ka-ching!)
"send items to this address" (freebies)

already had 6 kids artificially and no income, so what the hell lets have 8 more artificially.

no *true* father (just a jizz donor) no real income. .and a shallow self absorbed baby collecting mother.

i hope that many kids brings a whole world of headache and hurt for that woman... she deserves to suffer and struggle.

no wonder some countries only allow you to have 1 child.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TravelerintheDark

I had thought about that, too. The woman had six children she could not afford, and had no job. Why did he do fertility treatments with the earlier ones if she was not in a position to take care of them? He then plants more embryos to create more children? I am more upset that the doctor did the treatments and has no real ethics.

I also wonder if it is a way for the woman to get famous. It does seem drastic, but considering all the other awful reality shows out there, I would not be surprised if she gets one of her own. The smaller networks do not pay very much, and I think she will be very disappointed when she finds that out.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I'm not sure if it's a symptom or the problem, but so many these days are concerned for their rights without concern for the fact that those rights carry responsibility. Yes, she has a 'right' to have children, but if she's mentally unstable, as she appears to be, then someone else needs to take responsibility. Since a doctor was involved, that's where I see the responsibility going. Just as if it were a 'traditional' pregnancy the responsibility would fall to her partner.

As for her trying to get famous, I disappointingly say that I wouldn't be shocked. The society we live in has become so wholly obsessed with drawing attention that any means by which people think to achieve that attention isn't seemingly out of the question.

But it is obvious that she'd like to cash in. If I recall correctly, her asking price for her 'story' to Oprah and other media conglomerates was in the neighborhood of 1.6 million.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I would bet that some medical ethics board is looking into the case as we discuss it. With all the abandoned children and others in foster and group homes, why didn't she become a foster parent? I do not doubt she doesn't love children, but instead of bringing more into the world that can't be taken care of, she should of taken in a few foster children.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

not sure about where you live, but in australia youve got bugger all hope of that.

waiting lists to adopt are massive, without mentioning the many other reasons.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
The problem with this doctor is it really wasn't his fault. Typically in In Vitro Fertilization several eggs are used to impregnate a woman. Typically many of the eggs don't survive. However in this baby factory they did.

With IVF, a method of assisted reproduction, a man's sperm and the woman's egg are combined in a laboratory dish, where fertilization occurs. The resulting embryo is then transferred to the woman's uterus (womb) to implant and develop naturally. Usually, 2-4 embryos are placed in the woman's uterus at one time. Each attempt is called a cycle.

Source:www.emedicinehealth.com...

It is odd that the doctor would have placed so many embryos into the mother at once. But typically multiple embryos are used as to increase the chance that one will grow to term.

This lady however seems to be a tad bit out of controll with the baby making. She craves attention, she wants a free ride. Her problem? Shes not going about it the right way.

What she should have done was marry some dip, spit out a few kids (which obviously wouldnt have been a problem for her) then divorce him. getting a child support check for each kid. It's a time honored and profitable way for a woman to make money. Women do this all the time.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

I realized this when I posted and admit I didn't formulate the best argument.

But, I still maintain that the doctor is accountable for one reason. This wasn't the woman's first or second or third attempt. It wasn't as if she had no other children. More care should have or could have been taken, more concern shown for the potential/resulting children. This woman should have been evaluated on a deeper level than just her desire to be pregnant.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Obliv_au

It may be true about babies and adoption, but the orphanages have children and young teenagers who want a home. They need love and a family, but no one wants an older child. I was a foster parent and can vouch that there were quite a few kids waiting for a foster home to open up for them.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

The doctor has admitted he knew she could not care for the children and did it anyway. The people who go through such procedures are supposed to be screened.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
And thus...with all her negativity towards the public assistance she receives, she buys Wii games, gets her nails done and now has the money to afford a talent agent.

The reason you can't see her comments is because of how many negative ones exist. I heard somewhere (sorry I can't find link yet) that she once had another website that they shut down from all the hate mail.

Look folks, I am not for hate mail, but this many people sending it...time for the old question...

Is she the sane one despite the thousands upon thousands of people who think she has a terrible idea, or is it just possible that in this case those thousands of people know something.

She's a whack job...I normally try not to say things lie that...but I can't handle it.

It wouldn't be anywhere near as bad if she wouldn't come on and say in public interviews that she isn't on welfare.

Hey Nadya? fyi...food stamps and government stipends ARE welfare.

-Kyo

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

I definitely agree she has a mental illness. The major problem is why the doctor did not refer her to a psychologist or other mental health professional? That is one of their jobs if they notice something is not right. A woman wanting more children even though she obviously cannot handle the ones she has is a huge red flag.

My major concern is with the children. In the long run it will be them suffering, not the mother who will do her day time chat shows and other appearances.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Did you know that this isn't the first or last time this particular doctor has done something like this? He is developing a pattern of implanting multible embryos (4 or more) in women whether they want them or not. His thought is that there is a better chance to carry to term if there are more. If one or more die along the way trama will be lessened to her whom than if she had multible procedures. The only reason this case has made the news is because the mother is an irresponsible, crazy oaf. The other women have stable home enviornments with two capable parents.

You are right though. He should be stripped of his license and forced to pay child support to "Octo-baby-lady". He brought them into this world! He needs to pay for their futures.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Responding to MichJJC since the Reply To button didn't work

Actually, I had heard that this wasn't the first. And while I can see the logic on the surface, it still doesn't make sense when I scratch a bit. Admittedly, it would be less traumatic in some sense if the expectant mother need only go through the procedure once, but considering that IVF seems to result in the birth of multiples at least with more regularity than 'natural' conception, I don't think it's right. For one simple reason: What if the parents only want one child?

That's exactly what happened with Octo-Mom. I know he didn't implant eight. I believe, and I may be wrong, that there were two sets of multiples. And that in at least one of her other procedures there were multiples produced.

So this reinforces my belief that this particular doctor need not be practicing his particular brand of 'medicine'.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by TravelerintheDark]

top topics

join