It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IBM Files Matrix Style Bullet Dodging Patent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

The patent proposes a system where an external device monitors the area for incoming projectiles. If it detects a projectile headed near a person hooked into the system it can either shock their muscles in order to move their body a particular way to dodge the bullet, Neo style, or it could simply make the intended target collapse.

From the Patent:

The present invention relates generally to the protection of an individual against a projectile propelled from a firearm. More particularly, the present invention relates to a body armor system and its method of use that is capable of detecting a projectile propelled from a firearm, computing the trajectory of the projectile, and moving the individual out of the path of the projectile to avoid being hit.

Source

Wow! this would be quite a "tool" for the would-be high ranking politicians and even general use in the police and armed forces.

I wonder how long it might be before we get to see some hardware and demonstrations?

Bang! ....."ha, ha, missed me!"

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Bah, don't get your hopes up. First thing that will happen is all the military and police will get it, and it will be outlawed to the common man. I mean that's obvious.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Very cool! That would be quite a demonstration wouldn't it?
I can't help but wonder about the poor sob standing behind the guy with this suit on though

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I'd love to see how this tech works.

Can you imagine the stresses on the muscles, ligaments etc when forced to move in a matter of milliseconds.

I'd imagine it would be similar to taking a hit while wearing kevlar in the sense that you will probably suffer a serious injury, but not as bad as actually being shot. Fascinating times, to be sure.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
lol, This wouldn't be quite as cool as the matrix.. first of all, the matrix kinda movement is impossible, plain and simple. Our bodies cannot withstand that kind of force. So, it'd have to detect it soon enough for us to avoid it, without breaking all our bones and tendons e.t.c in the process. It wouldn't be the blur, that the matrix portrays it as, if it happens. Either way, it'd be freakin' cool to own one

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
It would have to detect it a long distance off because the human body can only move so fast. You can't rely on sound as the indicator as many bullets travel faster than sound. You can't rely on light from the muzzle flash as moderators can counter this and people would design moderators to completely eliminate flash.

So the only thing i can think of is radar or maybe some kind of technology that could sense air compression down to tiny levels and determine it's a bullet. Still the limiting factor is the human body itself, it can only move so fast.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
So your saying i can dodge bullets?..no Neo,Im saying when your ready,you wont have to.yeah gotta watch that tonight.Anyway this sounds good in principle but like other poster said it would only work certain distances...nevermind the speed of certain projectiles would vary greatly.Why not just make a super electric magnetic armour or something..plus i hate IBM with a passion,the evil nazi supporters.

[edit on 14-2-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Exactly what I was thinking.

"If it detects a projectile headed near a person hooked into the system it can either shock their muscles in order to move their body a particular way"

It seems like the force required to move the body out of the way of a bullet would be similar to the force of the bullet itself (I understand f=mv, yet its still a large force). Seems like a circular solution. So instead of getting shot you get your insides crushed from the unsustainable G-forces required to get out of the way of a moving bullet.

Peace

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Well..with an electric shock you can stiffen a muscle...this could be good for getting a person to stand up, but what if you would need to duck, how could a muscle be relaxed...all I can tell this would do is cause you to stand up and be a better target...of course a lot of those scientist are pretty smart and are coming up with some near unbelievable stuff so who knows.

I made a post on the invisibility cloak that is nearing completion hear.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Still, you would have to move faster than a bullet...and most of them break the speed of sound...

After reading a little further the device is supposed to be effective only for projectiles fired from over 200meters away.

Edit cause I forget stuff

Forgot more stuff.

[edit on 14-2-2009 by SonOfChaos]

[edit on 14-2-2009 by SonOfChaos]

top topics

join