It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beyond the Apocalypse; Surviving in the next Dark Age

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Jay-in-AR

Well said friend, well said. There isn't much romanticism coming from me either... the whole idea sucks. Catastrophic failure on the part of the human kind is not one that we have known, and if it has.. it is possible nobody was left to write it down after the fact.

It would be re-learning things on a massive level, back to the stone age. Technology could be seen as a blessing and a downfall in that idea, and being a realist leads me to say...

I don't put much hope into people, but I do hope that if such was to occur, we could pull our heads out of our collective butts and pick up the pieces.

After all, we are still here.

The area in between, is what bothers me.

T-

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Technology would definately be considered a blessing.
In fact, I think if you found a way to keep it up at your place, people would look upon you very highly.
You would become an automatic leader. Especially if you were willing to help people do the same.

I agree, it is the areas in between. Before any of this were to become a reality, there would be mass chaos to survive first.
I feel you would need to "bug out" and possibly for quite some time. During those times, you would need your survival skills honed sharply.

I would wait it out in the nearest national forest.

[edit on 15-2-2009 by Jay-in-AR]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Thank you for the response! I also was just putting out the information. I thank everyone for the input as this is a very important thread! If nothing else it gives people a plan of action. The main thing is keep your cool and being prepared helps you do that. Take care of the basics. Have a plan with the fam and have an emergency kit you can grab and go! Just be sure it doesn't have any recalled peanut butter in it!

www.kypost.com...

[edit on 15-2-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

Why consider.... ?
I ask... why not.
What are we capable of?

In that case,
You my friend, will be the first I invite to my 2013 party... there will be lot's of imported brews, camping in yards in tents and other general festivities. More to come on the location..... if there is a pole flip, just turn your compass around... heheh.

Beer is on the house,
T-

[thread has blown up... gawww!]

Right on!

[edit on 09/2/15 by telemetry]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

There has been and remain direct intervention for those with eyes to see it. You are not abandoned to your own devices here, contrary to popular belief. There is constant intervention that allows you to choose your future as a collective. The sooner you get over the process of doubting the unseen, the sooner you can build the future you most desire as a collective society. It is a constant emergent process, but it can function only as quickly as the collective allows it to.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   

A good thing to do is think of what would be valuable in the future.
Obviously a source of non stop fresh water. Readily available food, etc.
Would be good to think of bartering material. So many things to be
aware of and prepare for but when you break it down it is doable.
I think when SHTF we will more or less be on our own. Authority would be quickly overwhelmed and everyone would run to the hills or chance it where their at. Not many are prepared. I agree the prepared would end up saving who they can and be looked up to. We will have to learn how to cooperate one way or another, sooner or later.

Syrus Magistus - I can believe that

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Right now, as a collective, whether or not you are aware as individuals, you have chosen not to experience a cataclysm. The current future is far more positive than you may be willing to consider. It can always change if the desire of the collective changes, but this is currently unlikely. Statistically, it only takes 144,000 individuals to bring about a collective change that applies to the whole. Far more have rejected an apocalyptic future.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR
Technology would definately be considered a blessing.
In fact, I think if you found a way to keep it up at your place, people would look upon you very highly.

You are right,
Crazy thing is, most of us here in the US have enough components to make a guided missile from our video game consoles. Not many have the tools or know how to make it function in real-world. Some have gone outside the way, and done things that are considered unbelieveable. Running a small single cylinder engine on hydrogen is a major feat, using that to turn a 10KW generator and power your home is doable, and can get you noticed in a jiffy. (for good or bad)

You would become an automatic leader. Especially if you were willing to help people do the same.

Not necessarily, I am here for the same cause as you... the sharing of knowledge. It's just the way I think society is broken. We no longer help one another, but there is strength in numbers. I don't pride myself or think better than the next man, we are all here for a fundamental thing.

reply to post by Syrus Magistus

You have an interesting outlook, and from what I gather it is the "collective free will" for lack of a better verbiage. Good stuff, I dig it.

This whole thread has somehow got some flowbots song stuck in my head...

"I see the strings that control the systems
I can do anything with no assistance
I can lead a nation with a microphone
With a microphone
With a microphone
I can split the atoms of a molecule
Of a molecule"

Humanity is capable of great things, but anyway, I have somehow gotten off on a tangent.... I will stop now.

T-

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Excellent stuff!
But it seems you've been having nightmares regarding the end of the world in 2012!!

Well, that may not happen and I feel that we've still got a few million years to sort this out. By then they'd be free energy and auto meal makers from molecules so you would have plenty of choice from steaks to hamburgers to pizzas at the press of a button, like in Star Trek! We would have conquered all disease and there would be no need for antibiotics and so on! And most would be living on other planets in the galaxy anyway!

As regards rebuilding civilization, as long as George W Bush and his neo-cons aren't around, this should not be too difficult!!

The only problem I visualize would be getting my beer!! Now that's what I feel would be the crunch issue!

Cheers!

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
"World" is often a mistranslation of "aeon" or "age", which is a cycle of time.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by dodadoom
reply to post by Syrus Magistus

Heres why. We like war!
www.youtube.com...

believe that "we" like war all you want.

I'll stand outside the "norm" that you propose "likes" war.. and hold my solidarity in the knowledge that "I" do not "like" war.. no matter what "Studies" you place before me.

it's just a BS con job to convince everybody to ACCEPT war and shrug it off and say "well ya know.. we're a warring race what are you gonna do.. sigh.."

bs bs bs.

I don't like war.

-

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

Thank you for that. And I totally agree with you.
It is supposed to be a joke. (you know, George Carlin, the comedian)
Did you even click the link to the "study" I sent?
I know the world does not leave much to laugh at...

Hopefully, people will realize how futile, stupid and horrific war really is.

If thats the best we can do, count me out too.
Another "study" explains this here:
www.youtube.com...

Maybe by showing the absurdity of it all, that will help change a few perceptions that it's nothing more than a fancy video game.
Thanks for helping restore my faith in people, one person at a time!

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
well I guess I can play fallout 3, and watch back to back reruns of waterworld..

the simple way is survival of the fittest...meaning, you will TAKE other peoples things by any means neccasary..especially if you're a person like me who likes to keep to himself...I'll go out and risk my life for my mother and the people I truly love..but anyone else begging for help, even if they have a dying baby can go and live on their own, I'm not helping them out. What have they done for me before? I don't know them well enough to trust them. I will take their animals in however, just cause animals matter more to me than humans I don't know. And I expect them to the same thing as I am doing, trying to take my supplies, and me killing them for daring to try. I don't like starting small societes, because when you do that, you make up these new rules, and you really have democracy there..you let the people decide, and they can make your own fate as well. No, I'll keep the ones I love the most safe with me, I'll die for them, as long as they carry out my legacy of survival. So, I'm set. I'm going to survive whatever the # happens in the future. I live in a condo that has 3 sub-floors. I'll make shelter there. It's very good when you have a vivid imagination of what you will do. I'll seal off all the exits, and open them when I think it's right. No opposing force will dare to come in. I will kill them.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Good Post!!!
S&F

I do a lot of Camping so I have some of the Basics:
Tents
Cots
Sleeping Bags
Coolers
Cooking Utensils
Lanterns
Clothing
Wood
Beer
Chain Saw
Axe
Hatchet
Saw
Knife
Gun
Toilet Paper
Personal Cleaning Supplies
Canned Food
Ice
Flash Lights
Batterys
Power Inverter
Waterproof Matches
Lighters
Lighter Fluid
Campfire Pit Grill
Grill
Propane Torch
Telescope
Binoculars
Magnifing Glass
Water
First Aid Kit
Sun Screen
Fishing Equipment
Water Purification Pills
Rain Gear
Games
Chairs
Tools
Card Table
Portable Picnic Tables

The List goes on, but, just some things to think about...

[edit on 2/15/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I think that some here has missed or are missing a great opportunity if this scenario ever happens.

Why go back to the times we know now? Sure, computers, electricity, running water system, central heating are nice, but they are not essential to everyday life or living.

There are millions of people worldwide that do not have what we in the west consider essential to everyday living. Their way of life has basically unchanged since the dawn of man and if some of the TV programs are to be believed, there are very happy.

A situation X as described here would be a great opportunity to throw off the shackles of modern day living ........ think the Amish/Menonite way of life ...... okay without the religious part of it.

Some of you are considering getting vehicles up and running - whats wrong with using a horse or oxen? Animals are far more useful and multi-purpose than a machine that runs on the internal combustion engine.

It will not all be doom and gloom. It will be hard sure, but rewarding.

I suggest you all read a book by John Seymour ''The New Complete Book of Self-Sufficiency - The classic guide for realists and dreamers'' ISBN 978-0-7513-6442-2.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Big kudos to whatukno on the thread. Some very interesting and often overlooked survival questions have been raised.

In particular; many people prepare 72 hour bug out bugs, with the expectation that everything will have returned to normal after then. In some instances, it may. But I don't think your TEOTWAWKI or NWO scenario's are going to be resolved so quickly.

A star post for sure.

Tim

P.S. Most of the questions can be answered at a site I found a while back: www.endtimesreport.com... (Scroll down the bottom for an index)

[edit on 15-2-2009 by tim.vic.au]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   

excellent post and makes you think. It's odd in ways that many of these things, I learned a loooong time ago at least on a superficial and principal level (but also some actual hands on experience) from being a boy scout. Yeah, back when the old field guides showed you how to skin and dress a deer, how to tan hides, along with things like lightly toasting the brains and jamming them into the animals stomach and sealing it for storage for scraping and drying the skins.

I pick up the old ones here and there just to have them. old army manuals too. You know whats a lot of good sources? Farming books. Old farming books.

Some other questions to ponder, thins we forget:

How will I preserve my food supplies for leaner months or winter? Do I know how to can vegetables, pot meat, salt/smoke/cure proteins.

Do I know how to extract seed, or even identify them?

Do I yet have the rudiments to fashion my own clothes if need be, including proper environmental protection like cold and rain?

Even more importantly.. footwear.

Do I know enough about medicine and natural remedies to treat and cure infections, diseases, or if things get to a long haul.. things like child birth or a bad tooth?

Am I mature enough to realize that I will have to develop a cadre of friends, allies and so forth because I likely can not do it all on my own?

Will I remember the principle of aesthetics and creature comforts in the long run, so that I not only survive, but continue to live? Plan for the future?

Its one thing to be able to make a weekend lean to in the forest with your buddies, but can you make yourself a chair with just an axe and knife? How about a box to store grain in?

(re)forging metal is nice, but do you know how to make your own forge? how about your own glass? Pottery? those canned veggie shave to be stored in something you know.

I'm not saying this to crap on anyones fine work so far, but heres the devil in the details, and maybe some food for thought.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
As far as dental hygiene, in Africa and the middle east they brush their teeth with twigs that they chew on and fray the end. Google "Brushing your teeth with twigs" for more info. I'd post a link, but my computer skills are nil.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Great stuff! For most people, just having a "bug out bag" is something.
Obviously you have to know which "disasters" are most likely to occur in your area; tornados, floods, hurricane, ice storms, etc and approximately how long you will need to survive. Most people who live in these areas are already experienced with mama natures wrath. But I think more people should take it seriously. A 4-7 day supply will get you through most emergencies we face day to day, however in a worst case scenario having a year or two even of supplies is not out of the question. Go here:
survivalacres.com...
All bets would be off and most people would be reduced to scavaging. Thats the reason for the home protection! After 2 weeks the population will become starving animals. If you have any animals at all, you would hide them good. There will be few animals left. They will quickly be used up for food, all that will be left is...yep...people! The mob mentality will rule and quickly overrun and destroy infrastructure(tractor fuel delivery,etc)needed to produce food. Time to wake up and realize if we really face the worst case scenario, no it won't be pretty at all. It is such a big topic that involves so many levels of personal preparation, most just do not have the time and wherewithall to achieve anything close to self sufficiency. I can tell ya from personal experience you dont just throw some seeds in the ground and eat tomorow. It takes YEARS of learning, practice, perfection, & preparation and even then if you can eventually produce even half your food you are doing really well! Then you need to be living where its warm or have a heated greenhouse. Please watch one family's journey here: www.youtube.com...
I can tell you also it is getting harder all the time for farmers to have a successfull crop of ANYTHING because of worsening environmental factors, water flow issues, high diesel-fertilizer and seed prices, lower market prices and yields, taxes, poor economy, etc. That being said, don't be discouraged, you can start learning how to grow herbs and food right in your kitchen! You dont need to live in podunk idaho to learn this stuff and benefit from it!

Saving rainwater is finally getting popular here also!
I try to let people know, you can start small and at least be prepared for whats MOST LIKELY going to happen to you.
If we are smart enough as a species to not go extinct anyway,
we won't let it ever get that bad!

P.S. Dont forget the extra fuel for the generator!!!

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

We know how to do many of these things and are networking with others in different geographic areas, [email protected]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join