It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Falling space junk strays from Alta. collision course

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Falling space junk strays from Alta. collision course

www.theglobeandmail.com

The Canadian Press

February 14, 2009

CALGARY -- Residents of southern Alberta went blithely about their business on Friday the 13th, unaware that for a brief time government officials were being scrambled to deal with the possible risk of falling space debris.

Around 10:30 a.m. MT, the Alberta government was contacted by the federal government warning that chunks of a Russian rocket were headed for the province.

The federal government had gotten its warning from NORAD.

Initially, the information indicated the space debris was headed for Calgary, but a short time later that was revised to an area 110 kilometres east of the city.

The alert specified the communities of Strathmore, Brooks, Hanna, Drumheller and, coincidentally, Vulcan, the town that capitalizes on its connection to Star Trek.

Jody Korchinski, director of communications for Alberta Municipal Affairs, said the province was just about to activate the government's emergency response centre and send out a notification to warn the affected areas when they received word that the debris had changed course.

It ended up falling into the Atlantic Ocean, quite a distance away from the Prairie province.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk

[edit on 14-2-2009 by whiteraven]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
At first I thought that this was the satelite collision. Yet upon reading the article I discovered that this was a Russian Rocket.

What is a Russian rocket doing crashing in or near Canada? The official story is resupply of the international space station.

Wierd timing with the Russian/Us sat crash!

Star Wars anyone.

Prague signs US 'star wars' pact but Poles want Patriot missiles

Russia reacted angrily yesterday after the Bush administration capped a five-year campaign to extend its controversial missile shield project from the US to Europe by signing a deal with the Czech Republic to build a radar station south of Prague.

The first formal agreement between the US and central Europe on the missile defence scheme instantly prompted threats from Moscow that it would retaliate militarily if the agreement is ratified.

The Polish insistence on obtaining batteries of US Patriot missiles as the price for deploying the shield's interceptor rockets in northern Poland could still upset White House hopes of finalising the project before George Bush steps down.

The Russian foreign ministry warned the Kremlin would react "not diplomatically, but with military-technical means" if the agreement in Prague came into effect.

Condoleezza Rice, the US secretary of state, travelled to Prague for the signing ceremony of the radar station, sited at a derelict former Red Army base south of the capital. The radars aim to track ballistic missile launches from Iran, although Tehran does not possess such firepower.

www.theglobeandmail.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

I know this meeting took place a while ago but I was wondering if this has a connection?

[edit on 14-2-2009 by whiteraven]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
This does seem a little strange. Who knows what really happened?
Check out this link: Russia Issues Nuclear Attack Warning Over US Takedown Of Satellite.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
By: Sorcha Faal

from what i have read on ATS i wouldnt bother reading it

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Maybe a solar flare / solar wind is causing the spate of problems? Or the earths magnetosphere is acting strangely at the mo maybe that is causing some problems? might even be the pole shift, all out sats are gonna crash.

then again maybe its all war games?

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by theresult
By: Sorcha Faal

from what i have read on ATS i wouldnt bother reading it

I also don't take everything Sorcha Faal says seriously. It is still worth a read, especially when she supplies references to back up what she says.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ereshkigal
This does seem a little strange. Who knows what really happened?
Check out this link: Russia Issues Nuclear Attack Warning Over US Takedown Of Satellite.

I wouldn't put too much trust that article you linked to.

They claim, ...

Russia Issues Nuclear Attack Warning Over US Takedown Of Satellite

Reports circulating in the Kremlin today are stating that a ‘shocked’ Russian leadership is struggling for an ‘appropriate’ response to the United States deliberate destruction of one of Russia’s most advanced surveillance satellites tasked with monitoring North Korea nuclear missile activity.

Every other source I have come across reiterates what these articles state.

Satellites crash over Siberia: Iridium bird destroyed

A defunct Russian satellite has collided in orbit with another from the Iridium satcomms fleet, according to reports.
******SKIP******
The Russian satellite was a Cosmos telecoms bird launched in 1993 and no longer in service.

Satellite collision 'more powerful than China's ASAT test'

Space weapons are dangerous - but out-of-control, defunct satellites can do just as much damage, if not more.

So says a leading space scientist who has calculated that Tuesday's collision between an Iridium communications satellite and the defunct Soviet-era Cosmos 2251 spacecraft expended a great deal more destructive energy than China's infamous anti-satellite missile test did in January 2007.

And here's a link that gives a description and has photo's of the Cosmos 2251.

Satellite Cosmos 2251 Identification & Photos

Kosmos-2251 was an 1,984-pound (900 kg) Strela communications satellite. It was launched on a Kosmos-3M carrier rocket on June 16, 1993.[1] It had been deactivated prior to the collision, and remained in orbit as space junk.

And here's a picture of Cosmos 2251.

Here's some more sources saying the Russian satellite was the Cosmos 2251, a deactivated satellite that was launched in 1993.

Satellite Collision Creates Dangerous Debris
Kosmos-2251
Spacecraft Digest
Collision between Iridium 33 and Cosmos 2251 satellites identified

I doubt a 15 year old satellite was "one of Russia’s most advanced surveillance satellites"!

[edit on 2/14/2009 by Keyhole]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
What pisses me of is the fact that we were not informed of this.
Everyone should take note of this fact. Imminent danger and we were told "NOTHING"
I live in Calgary by the way.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

Keyhole....this is seperate from the satelite...as well as Sorcha.....use google and search for Calgary...space debris.

A Russian rocket part was on it way to Calgary!

lol

www.ctv.ca...

NORAD to Calgary: Watch out for space debris
Updated Sat. Feb. 14 2009 6:45 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

It was enough of a concern that the North American Aerospace Defense Council -- better known as NORAD -- called the Canadian government to let them know that a piece of space debris was headed towards Calgary.

And the debris was big: a piece of an unmanned Russian rocket, 10 square metres in size.

The rocket had blasted off from Kazakhstan on Tuesday and carried materials for the International Space Station. And when it re-entered the Earth's atmosphere, things got a little scary for the province of Alberta.

NORAD called the federal government at 10:15 a.m. on Friday morning to let them know about the falling debris, and by 10:30 a.m. the Alberta Emergency Management Agency (AEMA) had been notified. The time of impact was estimated to be 10:46 a.m.

Colin Lloyd, the AEMA's executive director for planning and operations, said authorities were only seconds from sending out emergency responders.

"The first scenario was extremely serious, if it had come down in the centre of Calgary for example," he told CTV Calgary.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Ok so the whatdoesitmean link is from a mental lunatic nutcase who makes up delusional lies every day.
But the Canadian press article is real right?
So that means this rocket did fall to earth and almost hit Canada yes?

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Yes....the Sorcha stuff is disinfo....lol....A part of a rocket almost hit a major Canadian city.

People in the counties of Vulcan and Starland almost had a visitor from outer space drop in.

Alberta emergency officials were scrambling yesterday when they were warned that a 10-square-metre piece of a Russian rocket appeared to be headed to earth and might land 110 km east of Calgary, in the counties of Vulcan, Starland, Wheatland and Newel.

"At 10:30 a.m. Public Safety Canada contacted the Alberta government emergency operations centre to give us notification there could be a possible impact of debris in that area," said Municipal Affairs spokesman Jodi Korchinski. "We were preparing an early public warning but once the debris hit the atmosphere it changed course dramatically and burned up."

The hunk of space junk came from a Russian rocket that was launched to resupply the international space station, said Lt. Desmond James, spokesman for the North American Aerospace Defense Command, in Colorado Springs, Colo.

www.edmontonsun.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Thank God no one got hurt at least. But the number one thing that we have learned from this is that we can not rely on the government to tell us when something is going to happen. Since none of you seemed to have been evacuated.

top topics

join