It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winning photo captures an alarming sign of the times

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Out of 96,000 photos one seems to have captured the economic crisis better than any.

www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com...

AMSTERDAM (AP) — A U.S. photographer won the top prize in the World Press Photo competition Friday with an image of a police officer searching a debris-strewn home in Ohio to ensure evicted residents had left after a mortgage foreclosure.

Anthony Suau's winning photo for Time magazine shows the officer, handgun drawn, peering into an open doorway inside the house, which is filled with overturned furniture and boxes.

The image, shot in Cleveland on March 26, illustrates the economic crisis that began with the U.S. housing market and spread around the globe.

"The strength of the picture is in its opposites. It's a double entendre," said jury chairwoman MaryAnne Golon in a statement. "Now war in its classic sense is coming into people's houses because they can't pay their mortgages."

A picture is worth a thousand words.

[edit on 14-2-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

One of the runners up is a picture of some new weapon being tested -maybe a mini harp type device?, very cool photo

www.worldpressphoto.org...

check out the little guy it's hitting, wonder if he's still with us?

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by NatureBoy

Erm just so you know, it's a mini tornado. As the caption says:

Dust tornado hits French army training camp, Djibouti

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

that's what the caption says, i suppose the MSM never lied to you before?

I suppose if the caption says it's a venus.....

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

It won because it portrays what they would like to see happen unfortunately.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
For someone who calls himself "NatureBoy", you might want to get outside and experience some of the neat phenomena that occur daily in nature.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by NatureBoy
reply to post by Chadwickus

that's what the caption says, i suppose the MSM never lied to you before?

I suppose if the caption says it's a venus.....

Yeah, they're gonna release a photo of a prototype weapon by entering it into the NATURE category of a photography competition!

You need help.

Seriously.

[edit on 14-2-2009 by Chadwickus]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish

A picture is worth a thousand words.

True the picture tells me...
The cop is in a empty house possibly looking for some crack heads who were dealing out of the house and that's why he has his gun drawn.

Those are the picture's words not mine

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

This would be great if that was the case and this was a crack house in a high crime area, but it is a foreclosed home, just like many thousands around the country, according to the report "an image of a police officer searching a debris-strewn home in Ohio to ensure evicted residents had left after a mortgage foreclosure."

The potential criminals in this case would be the evicted residents.

Think about that... If the day comes where you lose your job, have no place to go and are evicted, that officer, gun drawn, could be in your home to make sure you are gone.

God bless America!

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Suau will receive a prize of €10,000 (US$12,800) and a camera at a ceremony in Amsterdam on May 3.

If people really cared he should have given the money to the people who lost their house.

new topics

top topics

join