It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Age Of Sexual Consent: What Does The USA Think?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raider of Truth
i saw a map of consent once that said..either Yemen or Oman was..get tis... NINE years old. i mean WTF!
the mid east really are screwed up.
so i.e married and they have arranged marriages at the age of 8 or 9..the mid east needs to wake up and see the 21st century not the 15th

You should do more research. The western view of an "arranged marriage" is forbidden in Islam, at least. The style is different in which the person's parents find them a selection of people to meet and see which one they are most compatible with, and likewise for the other person they meet. The people selected are selected usually because of education level, income level, family history, history of illnesses, etc; so that parents can give their son or daughter the confidence that they're marrying someone who is stable.

It's forbidden to force one's children into marrying someone, if they did not consent to it. This type of practice is forbidden in Islam, but if it occurs in the Middle East, it's mainly due to cultural practices rather than faith.

[edit on Sun Feb 15th 2009 by DJMessiah]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LatentElement

I gave two conditions, you only listed one

It all depends on when they're taught sex ed and when they have parental consent. Not all parents care about their kid's virginity and waiting for marriage. If the parents feel their child is responsible enough to date and have sex, then they should set an age at which they can give them this type of responsibility.

I think US parents today are misinformed about their child's sexual history. I know many would be shocked to know their 13 year old is having sex, but the sad realization is that sex starts in Middle School, not high school. When I was in Middle School, all my school-mates were having sex left and right, and there were at least 4 girls who gave birth that year.

You can blame it all on the hormones we put in our foods, or the media that influences our youth, but whatever it is, kids are going through puberty and sexual experiences much younger and younger with every generation.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
You can blame it all on the hormones we put in our foods, or the media that influences our youth, but whatever it is, kids are going through puberty and sexual experiences much younger and younger with every generation.

I think this is an interesting point. Puberty hits anyone like a train, it's not that subtle. You suddenly like girls and primitive urges kick in. That is why kids need educating about contraception, to prevent those births and STD's.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by quitebored
Well, in Georgia, the age of consent was 15.

I know this because I was, ah, an early bloomer and had to arrange my schedule carefully before we moved to a state at which it was higher.

Happy Birthday to me!

So yes, some US states are more liberal about the age thing.

[edit on 14-2-2009 by quitebored]

HALF a gallon to everyone!

What is funny is that GEORGIA - a CONSERVATIVE state has such a liberal law

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join