It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Lines of Tribe Shall Soon Dissolve"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   

"The Lines of Tribe Shall Soon Dissolve"

www.huffingtonpost.com

Tribalism is the curse that can destroy humanity. So far, the 21st Century has been no better than the century before it in terms of our ability to overcome our heritage of tribal division.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
So I see the liberal rag is sucking up to the Obama mantra,
but some are not so easily decieved by the true meaning
of those words.

In nazi germany groups were marginalized and hauled off
if they did not comply.

It appears Native Americans may be on the shopping list.

Tribal view on their being dissolved

Excerpt:

Listening to the Obama speech after his (late) inauguration, it is clear that he is a smooth talker - though evident that he heavily relies on the teleprompter… I listened very carefully to each and every word - and though I agreed with some and not with others - there was one comment in particular which should stand out as a warning to states, Indian tribes, and territories of America who pride themselves on their individual differences…

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-2-2009 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

I know this is not about aliens, or something super exciting,
but I figure at least one person would post on this !

LOL, guess I was wrong !

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I think part of the problem, for me anyway, is you have not explained why this is either good or a problem for you.

I agree with the underlying premise of the link that quotes from his speech. Tribalism that causes us to think of some people being so different from others that they are less deserving of the term human does need to end. Whether is it racial division, gender division, or ethnic and religious division.

I see nothing wrong with the idea that we need to look past superficial differences and recognize the underlying humanity of all people.

Your post about how this some how ties back to what the Nazis did is silly in my opinion. Nazism was a from of tribalism. The post you linked to is opposed to that. Not in favor of it.

As to some Native Americans being opposed to it, I would argue that is because they use the word tribalism in an entirely different context. I would not say we should eliminate all difference. I say we should accept differences and as long as they are not detrimental to all of us, embrace those differences. As long as underlying the respect for and accepting of difference there is a recognition that there is NO difference that makes one human less human than another.

Thats what I hear him calling for.

I personally am not of the mindset that ALL differences need to be accepted and embraced by the majority. I do not think, for instance, if one group advocates genocide and attempts to carry it out that the world need sit by and do nothing because, "well, they are just different like that." Slavery, either based on race, or gender, I feel is a difference we do not need to tolerate. Because it does NOT respect the underlying humanity of all humans.

[edit on 14-2-2009 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I do not expect an Obama supporter to understand, and I am
a member of a tribe, there are two links and read the native
american point of view on the 2nd link.

Though with your obama shades on I think your going to see
the world in the obama spectrum.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_MislTech
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I do not expect an Obama supporter to understand, and I am
a member of a tribe, there are two links and read the native
american point of view on the 2nd link.

What is "the Obama spectrum"? Where can I get Obama shades? When you say "the native american point of view" can I assume you have surveyed all native americans and you now speak for each and everyone of them (us)? You can expect an Obama supporter to understand your point of view if you explain it well and it would probably help if you did not prejudge their (my) impartiality.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

The link if you read it is from a Lakota tribe.

I do not prejudge your view, just Obama supporters views.

And based on your reaction I may not be "on" the mark,
but likely near it.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   

You dont know me. So dont assume you do. I am not an "Obama supporter." I didnt even vote for him. I agree with that part of the speech of his you linked to.

By the way, it wasnt that long ago that Native American tribes were slaughtering one another over these "cherished differences" was it? Or are we supposed to forget that?

Thats the point of ending "tribalism" as Obama is using the word. So that our cherished differences never cause us to forget the humanity of others. We are a single species. The differences between groups and individuals, cherished or not are superficial. And I can assure you that the stance taken in your Lakota article is not shared by all Native Americans. Thats a very conservative slant, and I know many Natives who were happy as can be Obama was elected.

www.nativeamericannetroots.net...

Navajo Nation President Joe Shirley Jr. told the pro-Obama crowd that the tribe needed to unify itself in support of the Democratic senator from Illinois. An Obama administration would respect tribal sovereignty while working to increase funding for important programs on the reservation, Shirley said "Navajos today are about 30 years behind the times. We need to get caught up and we believe Sen. Barack Obama and (Sen.) Joe Biden are the people to do it," he said. "The White House doors are going to be open to Navajo people. Right now the doors are shut."

Maybe you forgot to tell these guys you speak for all Natives now.

[edit on 14-2-2009 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

What the Nazis did was to dehumanize the groups of people they hated, its a common tactic. To justify the killing or prejudice against a group you must see that group of people as less than human. What Obama is doing in his speech is saying the opposite.

We must realize the brotherhood of all people, that we are all human beings, and not focus on the petty differences that keep us divided and hinder our progress as a Nation (and as a species)... And refrain from calling me an "Obama Supporter" like you did to some of the others who replied. I did not support Obama and though I hope he does a good job as President I will remain wary of him as I am wary of all those in power.

The idea is that if we want to save this nation from its trip down the toilet we have to band together...

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

To justify the killing or prejudice against a group you must see that group of people as less than human. What Obama is doing in his speech is saying the opposite.

We must realize the brotherhood of all people, that we are all human beings, and not focus on the petty differences that keep us divided and hinder our progress as a Nation (and as a species)... And refrain from calling me an "Obama Supporter" like you did to some of the others who replied. I did not support Obama and though I hope he does a good job as President I will remain wary of him as I am wary of all those in power.

The idea is that if we want to save this nation from its trip down the toilet we have to band together...

I really think ppl hear what they want to hear.

I think the words that this particular group of Lakota are saying
says they do not trust the government and based one what they
did to 109 other tribes HISTORY IS LIKELY TO REPEAT ITSELF !

How many bush staffers does this guy have to keep ?

How many Tri-lateral parasites does he need to hitch to the wagon ?

I tend to think all those blind optimists are about to have a wake up
call of biblical proportions.

I hope I am VERY wrong.

Good Luck to you all !

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Just catching this thread very late.

Tribalism was an obvious outgrowth of the extended family unit. Even animals realize instinctively there's strength in number.

It had it's benefits for mankind as protection was offered beyond what the individual or parent could offer.

But human beings have reorganized their affiliations based on national boundaries, religious affiliations, employment, sexual orientation, etc.

The old tribalism was necessary when there was short supply of food, resources, etc. The group that was most cohesive and largest had advantages. Later it evolved to those with strategic advantages, weapons, technology, buying power.

Bu the old competitiveness and resentments still linger. This is particularly acute in places, say the Middle East, where one tribal group still largely suffers lack of resources, opportunity, control. The tribal reaction is to raid and destroy others who seem to do better.

Most collective hatreds come from jealousy. Killing your enemies is cathartic, and levels the playing field somewhat.

But tribalism only works in a limited region, not an entire globe with billions of people. You never will conquer your competing tribe and grab their share. Co-operation and healthy competition is the better way to win.

But old habits die hard. People like to externalize the source of their problems rather than looking inward for ways of changing for the better.

This was typed and sent first draft, so hope it is coherent.

Mike F

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

If you support his words, then you support the man saying them.

That is my opinion, and I am sure we do not see eye to eye on that
and many other things.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

By the way, it wasnt that long ago that Native American tribes were slaughtering one another over these "cherished differences" was it? Or are we supposed to forget that?

I suppose the ppl from across the Atlantic have been models of peace for the entire world.

I think not, wars have plagued Europe and Asia for centuries so your remark is a lot of hot air.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mmiichael

We still have tribalism in the sections of major cities that have Asian districts.

We still have tribalism in sections of town that are Ethnocentric Ghettos.

We still have tribalism at stores that cater to one racial sect.

I do not trust a man that has been CLEARLY shown to be a puppet.

He is selling his money backers agenda off a teleprompter.

new topics

top topics

join